Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restricted firearm - transfer to buyer - range membership req's

Restricted firearm - transfer to buyer - range membership req's

I just got my RPAL and bought a membership at a local gun range and a consignment handgun 4 days ago. They told me that they initiate transfer to buyer on the sellers behalf and faxed my new range membership in to the AB CFO. I called the firearms line and asked about the status of the transfer and they said it hasn't been approved yet as I need to have a statement of purpose added to my license (that I'm a target shooter and have an active membership).

Here's the fun part, I went to the AB CFO office to inquire about having that added to my file - they said it needs to be faxed to Miramichi to be added. When I called the firearms line they said this happens at the AB CFO who also approve the transfer.

So which is it and how long does this typically take?

Edit: read the legislation - it's the CFO that approves and all transfers and sets conditions.
    Last edited by razor310; 07-07-2017 at 01:30 AM.

6 months to a year. Slower if your impatient.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Fax to 1 (780) 495-7970

That is where I faxed my membership to in alberta.

CGN Regular
    It's usually around five business days after you send it in for them to process your proof of range membership. First time restricted buyers face this hiccup but it shouldn't be much longer.

Thanks guys, it's been a process and I get it but easy to see there are some efficiencies that could be realized.

Cheers and good shooting!

CGN Regular
    It certainly is a tedious process, getting your first pistol in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by razor310 View Post
    Thanks guys, it's been a process and I get it but easy to see there are some efficiencies that could be realized.

Cheers and good shooting!
    Everything is functioning as planned. Gun ownership is discouraged and obstructed by government.
    Process is inefficient and frustrating by design.
    Enjoy your hobby and ignore the obstructions.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lanis View Post
    Everything is functioning as planned. Gun ownership is discouraged and obstructed by government.
    Process is inefficient and frustrating by design.
    Enjoy your hobby and ignore the obstructions.
    When I read posts like this I think the government isn't being selective enough.

My letter to the Alberta CFO after receiving a demand for proof of membership. I received my new licence about 3 days later.
    There is no legal requirement in the firearms act to be a member of a club to purchase or own restricted or prohibited firearms.
    Make them work, do not just give in.

Scott Stack
    P.O.Box 56
    Gibbons Alberta T0A 1N0

Dan Magotiaux
    Chief Firearms Officer
    Alberta and the Northwest Territories
    11140 – 109 Street
    Edmonton Alberta T5J 2T4

RE: Request for Confirmation of Purpose
    Licence Application: 006913423
    Due date: November 19, 2015
    (Licence expires 19 May 2016)

Sir,

I am in receipt of your recent, somewhat threatening letter, demanding that I confirm that my license application is valid by providing to your office a copy of a current gun club membership.

I have continually held memberships in gun clubs in Ontario and Alberta prior to and since the inception of the Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC) in 1979, holding positions from president to Chief Range Safety Officer as well as chair for various leagues at these gun clubs. Since the passing of bill C-68, I have been “Forced” to prove my continued participation in my hobby and sport every 5 years as my current Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) comes up for renewal. At present I hold memberships at two different gun clubs, namely the Canadian Historical Arms Society (C.H.A.S.) and the Algonquin Shooting Sports Association.

Pursuant to section 67(2), the provincial CFO shall decide if I am using my restricted and or prohibited firearms for the purpose I have indicated on my firearms licence renewal application.

I believe that with some 36 years of club memberships and competitively shooting for at least that long, I have more than proven that I am using my firearms for the purpose I have expressed in my current application. If you have some evidence to suggest otherwise, please provide this evidence to me via return mail so that I may review and correct any incorrect information.

I hereby declare, that once my current membership(s) expire, I will renew at least one of those expiring memberships for 2016 and subsequently for the years remaining on the newly to be issued PAL.

Sincerely,

Scott D. Stack CD
    "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyRightAnswer View Post
    When I read posts like this I think the government isn't being selective enough.
    You have a lot to learn rookie... before taking liberties with snide remarks.
    Last edited by lanis; 06-24-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast