Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: problems with a used 1886 from Epps

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    A couple years ago I had a chance to buy a 1886 that was as I discovered was originally a 40-82 re-bored to 45-70 and it wouldn't feed either.Wonder if it isn't the same gun? Harold

I have finally been in contact with the owner . He E-mailed Last Night . The story he got from his staff was way off . I think we both got on each others Nerves real quick .Hope to be able to get the rifle in to his gun shop and have his Smith see what I am concerned about . I would like to have this resolved and not have any hard feelings with the shop or his staff .

Yes if I get nowhere I will surrender it to another Gunsmith and go from there . That is good advice Kamlooky

I thank you all for your support I will keep you posted .
    Harry

It does not end here , as the counter person said the gun shot fine So what am I to argue The report given to the owner is quite different than what was said and who said what . I said in the E-mail that what I said was not as reported , and My interest was only in getting the rifle repaired rather than engage the counter person , who's aim I see , was to push a few buttons so that they would not need to service the rifle , I would just go away bad !!Was this the owners intent ?

Well pouring the oil / gun cleaner to the action and looking down into the stock it appears this gun just needs t be cleaned badly .I have bought about fifty guns there over the years and recommended Epps to my friends who then bought firearms there too . Well I guess that ends today .This was the third rifle they stuck me with that needed a good clean .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Milanczar's Avatar
    Cabin boy aboard the New England whaler Pequod
    Well every firearm I have encountered usually needed to be cleaned not only because of my standards from many different reasons such as the
    prior owner or owners apparently never bothered, long period of non perfect storage, improper prior cleanings, bugs (not kidding the six legged kind
    both that crawled in and died and ones that got stuck on crap inside in this one 1897.......)

So hopefully a clean will solve your problem or getting a gunsmith you have confidence in to look at it.

You are right that personalization and creating anger can be a tactic. Sometimes people give up or go away or get angry which makes them seem wrong or irrational
    when an issue is escalated and impairs their ability to state their case properly.

You have to keep in mind that in business (and this is becoming more prevalent as the population increases) eyes the value of the customer and whether or not
    the customer is right (especially when they are) as simply a dollars and cents equation and issue. How much is this going to cost me in the short run to make this guy
    happy vs percieved long run. With a product problem they consider also the cost of being stuck with the total loss of the product value or perhaps less repair.

Unless it is a recognized and known repeat customer and a high spender future business isn't a consideration and if people complain its a cost of doing business.

Good luck with the clean!
    Last edited by Milanczar; 06-28-2017 at 02:26 PM.
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.
    - Moby Dick, Herman Melville

I think there is a break down in communication. Not enought was said and what was said were the wrong things for the issue to be resolved. I was the customer on the other end of the counter with the 7 handguns laid out infront of me. Could not help but to over heard the conversation and I could tell you that the way the OP and the salesperson was going about their business that nothing was going to be accomplished which is why I minded my own business.

Quote Originally Posted by kamlooky View Post
    If they refuse to allow you to view them shooting it.........next step is to surrender it to a competent gun smith for evaluation.
    From there you will have some legal options.

Not trying to bash a site sponsor, but using factory ammo isn't working for you, then get them to supply the ammo
    that works for them and see what happens?

Sometimes lemons t'ain't werthy of making lemon jewse.
    My brother bought a levergun from epps that was given a 'very good' evaluation on the epps website.
    It cycled good in the store but when he got it home and tried it with ammo it wouldn't cycle the factory ammo (we tried 3 brands).
    Paw said he could fix it but my bros decided to take it back.
    No problem getting the money back.
    Can't complain about that.
    I think the money back trial period at epps is 30 days.

Return Policy

Can used items be returned for a refund?
    Yes. Customers have up to 30 days to return any used item

We found the proprietor 'wes' at epps reasonable and easy to deal with.
    30 days is plenty of time to determine if a firearm is defective or not.
    The selection of new and used guns at that place is amazing.
    Their website started rough but is pretty good now.
    A little more work on publishing pics of used guns on line is all that is needed.

My issue with EPPS is the younger staff. No real experience with firearms and telling me "facts" that are just BS.

I won't do business with them again.

Too much attitude and too little knowledge.

Sorry Wes. But that has been my experience over the past few years.
    If your ad in the EE is for an item that is sold, do us all a favour and mark the header PLS REMOVE.

I would have been very happy with any support given .Given that the gun was not working properly ,I would have been pleased if it was sent to the gun shop to where I wanted it to go, or offered to exchange for a rifle of the same value .

Quote Originally Posted by torontogungal View Post
    My brother bought a levergun from epps that was given a 'very good' evaluation on the epps website.
    It cycled good in the store but when he got it home and tried it with ammo it wouldn't cycle the factory ammo (we tried 3 brands).
    Paw said he could fix it but my bros decided to take it back.
    No problem getting the money back.
    Can't complain about that.
    I think the money back trial period at epps is 30 days.
    The front staff did not have a nickle invested " So" why could the rifle not be sent to the repair shop ? Other than that I would be happy to echange for another unit even if I had to pay a bit to do it .
    Harry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast