Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: problems with a used 1886 from Epps

I wouldn't take the ratings ('as is' to 'mint') epps places on used guns to heart.
    These are the opinions of the epps employees that assess the guns after a very cursory inspection.
    This is not an in depth gunsmith conducted assessment.
    It's still up to the buyer to check, inspect and test the product.
    You've got 30 days to do it where you can get a refund for a defective gun.
    Plenty of time for a comprehensive inspection and range test.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrwlf View Post
    My issue with EPPS is the younger staff. No real experience with firearms and telling me "facts" that are just BS.

I won't do business with them again.

Too much attitude and too little knowledge.

Sorry Wes. But that has been my experience over the past few years.
    I have a pretty good idea what I want before attending the shop and do my research.
    We rely very little on the word of salesmen and clerks who are on commission and just want to load you up and get you past the cash register minus a bunch of your money as fast as possible.
    We check and test used guns thoroughly.
    30 day money back policy works for us.
    If you depend on the word of others you are going to get stung sooner rather than later.
    Buyer beware.
    Blame yourself if you get burned not epps.
    Neither wes nor the clerks are going to take you by the hand.

I do not know anything about you torontogungal but I do know the clerks @ Epps are not on Commission .I do not know From what experience you made your statements .I have dealt with Epps before George and Wes took over and over the years have had a good working relationship with them .Am not going to Cry a River over this,Just letting you all Know How I was treated so maybe you will take some extra care dealing with them .One does not get a chance to check and test used guns until they are paid for and when they are not willing to look at a problem then the 30 day policy is not worth Mouse poop !

As to any repairs or work needed in the gun shop Doug the gunsmith is second to none His workmanship has always been beyond my expectations

With regard to the Gun , It the receiver was very dirty and I washed it out myself How ever the tang screw seemed very hard to get loose having had locktight to hold it , Once I got a half a turn I realized there was no treads in the lower tang to tighten it back up , There was something On the screw itself than came off ( I am a Mechanic) Other than that the rifle NOW WORKS GREAT ! The lower tang now needs to be taped and a larger screw installed .Better now than later before the rear stock spits .So now the gun is tied up until I can find a new screw .

I do not see no 30 day money back policy working here- unless I involve a lawyer ,and being retired I suspect Epps will take the chance this will not end up a Legal matter, since I have not the funds to retain a lawyer I believe Epps knew something about this gun and hoped to pass on the repair to some one else at their expense .I do know a good Gunsmith who also has a machine shop so the repair is not going to cost the cost of the gun ,
    Why am I writing about all this in the first place ? To say Epps Or Wes can not be trusted to do the right thing anymore . For Many Years you could expect nothing but the best Now best to have the gun in hand and give it a good look .
    Last edited by Harry Snippe; 07-01-2017 at 11:58 PM.

You new to the shooting sports?
    Buyer beware is the cardinal rule for second hand guns. For second hand anything really.
    Make sure you keep the bill and check and range test the gun before the 30 days is up.
    If you keep the gun in your closet for 6 months before checking and testing it and then find a problem that's your fault.
    It's a 30 day refund guarantee not a lifetime guarantee.
    I quoted the guarantee verbatim in a previous post on this thread.
    I find epps very easy to deal with.
    They're not out to screw anybody but you have to do your part and thoroughly check the purchased used gun before the 30 day period expires.
    I didn't know if the epps staff are on commission or not.
    I just assumed they were.

CGN frequent flyer timandkimandshea's Avatar
    Remind me not to buy a gun fron you, torontogungal
    Punish only he who has committed the crime

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armourall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timandkimandshea View Post
    Remind me not to buy a gun fron you, torontogungal
    Based on his feedback score......you won't have to.

CGN frequent flyer
    It's Epps and you expected stellar service why?
    America last
    America can never be great again until...
    Dream revolver Ruger 0456
    Pass on pre-orders

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sakoman .308's Avatar
    I am surprised this thread was not locked, as it involves a site sponsor.

Torontogun gal

New to the shooting Sports ? Heck I been around guns since the fifty's.I suppose I soon will have to give them all up as Cancer is taking it's toll .I have sold most of my guns and hope to buy back a S&W victory .22 and tune it , to finish my range days .Hunting has been part of my life since I was a kid and enjoyed the trap line for a few years at that .
    I did do a bit of Cowboy shooting and really enjoyed it .but getting old puts a limit to many things .

I hope every one enjoys the shooting sports to the Max while they still can
    God bless
    Last edited by Harry Snippe; 07-03-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoman .308 View Post
    I am surprised this thread was not locked, as it involves a site sponsor.
    One should be able to say something about a site sponsor and not have it locked . I am all done venting and none of it is or was personal .None of it will hurt a store the size of this firm and I hope they continue to grow .
    Harry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast