Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: problems with a used 1886 from Epps

problems with a used 1886 from Epps

We bought a used 1886 rifle from Epps and put it on Layaway . We paid for the rifle on time and took it out on the range only to find out it would not pick a round up from the Mag and chamber it and the trigger could not be pulled period to fire a round . We tried five different box's of Ammo to rule out an ammo issue .
    How ever when the gun was empty you could lever the gun in a normal fashion and the trigger could be pulled when ever the gun was off safe as one would do when you wanted to fire ea round . The gun was returned to Epps and the young lad took it out back for a few minutes and informed the front staff in the showroom the rifle fired fine and there was not a thing wrong with it .So later they the staff fired 6 rounds and again stated the gun was fine - Nothing wrong with the gun .

OK I got upset with them, for I know as well as did my wife that the gun would not lever a round then fire it . It least they could offer to clean it . Or offer an other gun and we could pay the difference , or refund .
    So this morning I went out load two rounds Winchester 300 Gr , the Mag and operated the lever . No cartridge entered the receiver . With a strong double tap a round would come up and be chambered .

I do not agree that this is Normal operation for this gun as I understand a round should chamber the first time ready to fire and not need to ratchet the ever a few times to have it ready to fire .
    Got a $111.00 problem that needs to go to the gun smith . Should that gun now be repaired somewhere @ my cost ?.Maybe Wes could first hand look at the rifle coming from his shop
    Harry:

I would have asked to be present when it was fired at Epps. Maybe you are doing something wrong and don't know it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer guntech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paul792 View Post
    I would have asked to be present when it was fired at Epps. Maybe you are doing something wrong and don't know it.
    I agree... maybe go back to Epps with your ammo and ask if you could watch them fire it so you could see if you are doing something wrong and then if they have difficulties you are witness to it and are in a better position to complain.
    .................... After 53 years I am fully retired - Dennis Sorensen - D R S

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mooncoon's Avatar
    Have you tried loading rounds single shot without using the magazine and if so does it close completely and fire? Also when you cycle the action, does the cartridge carrier stay up long enough for the shell to be started into the chamber? I have a model 94 which does not feed because the carrier drops down as soon as the bolt moves forward the slightest amount. I am pretty sure the reason is that the carrier has a spring arm on the left side and on this gun that arm was broken off and I silver soldered a new one on. The purpose of that arm is that it creates friction and delays the carrier dropping down until after the bullet has started entering the chamber

cheers mooncoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Winchester-1897's Avatar

Are you being too gentle maybe?
    Sometimes with a lever, or a bolt or a pump for that matter, if you work the action too slow and gentle it won't fuction properly.
    Not saying to hammer it, but work the lever "smartly" and see if it functions better.

Quote Originally Posted by kawicrash View Post
    Are you being too gentle maybe?
    Sometimes with a lever, or a bolt or a pump for that matter, if you work the action too slow and gentle it won't fuction properly.
    Not saying to hammer it, but work the lever "smartly" and see if it functions better.
    I have an old 45-70 that if you don't hit the end of the lever stroke with a little speed (snap the end stroke with the fingers), the round won't pick up correctly and then will jam. My lever shotgun needs to be run hard. The newest one (to me) is a 1895M that is very smooth (compared to the others) and can work well with someone who has less experience with a lever.

My wife asked if she could be present when they fired the rifle and she was refused .I tried to operate the lever smartly only to have it stopped by the cartridge not being picked up by the follower . When loaded the follower or carrier wants to stay down and not bring the cartridge up into the chamber . When the gun is free of any ammo it seems to work perfectly .The gun was very dry when we picked it up and it got a squirt or two of oil when it would not operate at all .How does one argue the gun has a problem when your constantly being told " nothing wrong with the gun !!! when we shot it it worked perfectly !!!
    My wife wants to record me with her phone shooting the rifle showing how the rifle is not picking up a cartridge or jams half way up.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer guntech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Snippe View Post
    My wife asked if she could be present when they fired the rifle and she was refused .I tried to operate the lever smartly only to have it stopped by the cartridge not being picked up by the follower . When loaded the follower or carrier wants to stay down and not bring the cartridge up into the chamber . When the gun is free of any ammo it seems to work perfectly .The gun was very dry when we picked it up and it got a squirt or two of oil when it would not operate at all .How does one argue the gun has a problem when your constantly being told " nothing wrong with the gun !!! when we shot it it worked perfectly !!!
    My wife wants to record me with her phone shooting the rifle showing how the rifle is not picking up a cartridge or jams half way up.
    When they tell you it worked perfectly, tell them bullschitt. You will have to see them shoot it to believe it works perfectly because it never has for you. There is no good reason why you can not watch them shoot it... bring your own ear and eye protection and ask for the owner or manager.
    .................... After 53 years I am fully retired - Dennis Sorensen - D R S

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kamlooky's Avatar
    If they refuse to allow you to view them shooting it.........next step is to surrender it to a competent gun smith for evaluation.
    From there you will have some legal options.

Not trying to bash a site sponsor, but using factory ammo isn't working for you, then get them to supply the ammo
    that works for them and see what happens?

Sometimes lemons t'ain't werthy of making lemon jewse.
    He has a half-tracked mind and unrelenting habit of self aggrandizing.
    Can anyone guess?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast