Thread: Shotguns.. Where to Start?

Shotguns.. Where to Start?

So, after getting my PAL in the mail, I finally get to buy my first shotgun. I've searched several different sites up and down, did my research online, and talked to a whack load of different friends who've been hunting for years down my way. Unfortunately, it seems that everyone has a different opinion on which way I should go to start. As my WMU is muzzle loader and shotgun only, and I'm mostly going to be hunting waterfowl, shotgun was the way to go. But I guess what I'm asking is if you guys have any advice on which way I should go in regards to a starter shotgun? I've heard everything from a Mossberg 500 to Benelli Nova, and everything in between. Thoughts?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer weasel1's Avatar
    Winchester SX3. I've seen a friend abuse the crap out of his and it still runs great. He's mostly using it for waterfowl as well. Of course, budget is everything...
    "We're only immortal, for a limited time." -Rush

BANNED
    If you are looking for a reliable entry level shotgun, a Remington 870 or mossberg 500 are about the cheapest. Remington has a $60 rebate right now too. For even less there is the maverick 88 which should function fine, it's just a cheaper version of the 500.

A combo like this would be a good first gun because you can use it to hunt deer too with slugs if you ever wanted to.
    https://www.wanstallsonline.com/fire...8-barrels.html

here's the equivalent 500
    https://www.wanstallsonline.com/fire...ade-combo.html

both are reliable but I feel the remington has a smoother action but sometimes they have poor fit and finish, even my 870p is horrible in that regard.

If money is not a concern then I would recommend looking at some better guns like browning, benelli, beretta ect, there are others as well, and that's not to say there's anything wrong with the 870 or 500.