Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MV/MH Most accurate ammo

MV/MH Most accurate ammo

Hey guys, really stuck on whether to buy a 6.5 Grendel upper for my MV or a 6.5 Creedmoor MH with a very small chance of 308 instead. As I'm trying to make up my mind and save up some cash, I'd like to know what people have found to be the most accurate ammo in their rifle.

I'm looking for varminting and hunting ammo so let us know what your rifle shoots best as well any other ammo that is sub MOA. If you're comfortable sharing your hand loads, please do. For brevity, just post caliber and barrel type and length followed by the ammo and average group size. No pics required (I trust you guys , let us know if 5 or 3 rd group as well please.

Thanks in advance!

223 Proof CFW
    Fiocchi 55gr FMJ most accurate inexpensive ammo
    Nosler 55g VM most accurate varminting sound so far, Winchester 40g Varmint X close behind.

Haven't formally measured groups yet. Will post again when I do

GunNutz
    Mine shoots 75grn Hornady HPBT match extremely well both box match ammo and the superformance I haven't got around to loading for it but from what ive seen soo far seems to be the ticket mine has the light profile SS barrel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If you want to hunt, I would pass on the creedmor. The CM is probably the best cartridge of the 3 for target shooting, but for hunting it's the least preferable (Note: not saying it's impossible to hunt with 6.5CM, just saying grendel and 308 are more suited for it).

If you want to varmint and hunt up to deer sized animals, I'd go with the grendel upper. You'll need to reload for your particular rifle though, other people's recipe might not work so well into yours and vice-versa, that's the nature of high-accuracy semi-autos.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 08:31 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Care to enlighten me as to why the Creedmoor is less suitable for hunting than the Grendel? I have no first hand experience with either but if my understanding is correct the Creedmoor will launch the same projectile at a higher muzzle velocity resulting in higher energy levels and increased range than the smaller Grendel cartridge will? There is also a good variety of high quality hunting ammunition available for the Creedmoor. Correct me if I'm wrong please. The only benefit I can see the OP gaining by choosing to go with the Grendel upper for his MV is that he will have a slightly smaller lighter platform than he would with a 6.5 Creedmoor MH.
    The Creedmoor isn't a bad hunting round, far from it. And yes, it will punch through a larger, bigger, meaner animal than the grendel at the same distance. From that point of view, you could say it is a "better" hunting cartridge than the grendel.

However, it (the CM) was designed with target shooting in mind, while the grendel was designed for hunting. When hornady designed the CM, their goal was to create the best cartridge for target shooting. When Alexander Arms designed the grendel, their thought process was pretty much "how could we make a suitable cartridge to hunt with an AR-15?". Technically, I'd say both were very successful in reaching their respective goals. The CM is one of the best target shooting cartridge as of this moment (it's got the performance of a 300WM with the recoil of a 308Win, it's a marvelous!), and the grendel can easily take out anything large as a deer or less, upto about 800m, in a round the size of a 223.

As for why I believe the OP would be better served with a grendel upper:
    1-He already has a suitable lower, so he saves $$$, and he said he need to save some cash for his purchase;
    2-As you said, smaller and lighter platform, which is great when hunting;
    3-Most important of all: it will do what he wants to do, which is to varmint and hunt.

If OP wants to hunt larger animals at longer distance, I'd suggest 308 over CM mostly due to availability of ammos (you can get 308 at wal-mart and CT, never seen CM outside of specialized hunting/shooting stores), price of ammos (can get plinking ammos for less than 1$/round in 308, not so much in CM), and in the end, pretty much the same effectiveness. I see very little hunting you can do with a CM that you couldn't do with a 308.

Of course, the argument could be made that since he already has the MV to hunt varmints, he could go for a MH.

Personnaly, I think an almost perfect setup would be a MV in 6.5 grendel for hunting varmint up to deer, and a bolt action 300wsm for deer up to elephant. Those 2 rifles and you've covered pretty much any hunting in north america.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Pretty sure either will knock down a moose or Elk.
    6.5 CM would do it at greater distance.

Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Super GunNutz
    My MH constantly shoots sub MOA 5 shot groups with Hornady precision hunter 308s. Its a 18" carbon barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast