Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MV/MH Most accurate ammo

CGN Regular
    I bought a modern hunter in 6.5creedmoor last winter and wanted to shoot my elk with it this fall.I got my elk last week a very nice 6x6 Bull I shot it at 200 yards and the 6.5 creedmoor worked just as good as any other cartridge I used.I am very happy with the modern hunter and the 6.5 creedmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by rosconow View Post
    I hate it when guys ask for advice about loads and "what works for you", but never include what I feel is the most important info about their rife. BARREL TWIST.

If a guy has a 1/12, I'll suggest lighter bullets, 1/7 heavier..... geesh!
    Well, FWIW, the proof CFW barrels only come in 1:8 as do all 3 contours in the steel barrels. So, if you have a MV in 223 it is a 1:8 twist. I’m familiar with the theory re: twist and bullet weight/length and even aware of the tables that match barrel twist with ideal grain weight. Unfortunately, reloading remains on my wish list so hoping to find what factory ammo is working best for people. No time or space for it at the moment, so have to use factory ammo for the time being.

If anyone has a pet load that works really well I’d be interested in it as well. Hopefully, next year I’ll find some time to reload and would love a starting point. Open to all suggestions, particularly interested in other MV owners actual experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    I bought a modern hunter in 6.5creedmoor last winter and wanted to shoot my elk with it this fall.I got my elk last week a very nice 6x6 Bull I shot it at 200 yards and the 6.5 creedmoor worked just as good as any other cartridge I used.I am very happy with the modern hunter and the 6.5 creedmoor.
    Congrats!!! What ammo did you use?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scott_r's Avatar
    I cant believe guys spend $4k for a rifle and don't reload for it.......like buying a high performance vehicle and buying regular gas.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_r View Post
    I cant believe guys spend $4k for a rifle and don't reload for it.......like buying a high performance vehicle and buying regular gas.
    Or like having three kids and two parents who work full-time... I don’t get enough time at the range as it is. I’m not giving up range time for reloading time at this point. It’s on the list, but it’s behind a few more important things. Like teaching my kids to love the outdoors and shoot - and spending more time trying to get an elk this year . And, I have a couple of bolt action rifles that are legitimately sub-MOA with factory ammo. Maybe I’m naive but I’m hoping for the same with factory ammo with a high quality semi-auto.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. My wife and I had a nice day at the range together - just the two of us. Been a couple of years since we’ve managed that. Buying instead it of rolling your own seems like a small price to pay for those kinds of moments!

With a 1:8 twist don't worry about light/heavy long/short projectiles unless you are going to be shooting past 300 yards. 1:8 is my favorite twist for 223, very versatile and capable of stabilizing any weight bullet out to ranges most people don't bother trying with a 223 semi auto.
    You can't overstabilize a projectile but you can spin a thin jacket varmint bullet so fast that it comes apart when it leaves the muzzle (I've done it, kinda cool but worked better in my 12 twist bolt action). Just go with whatever your rifle seems to like the best at 100 yards and when you want to stretch out the range past 300-400 yards start trying ammo 60gr or heavier, you should be able to find a load with the 60+ grain projectiles without too much trouble, you may need to try a few different brands to find it but that barrel should be capable. For 600+ yards I'd try to find 75-77gr projectiles that shoot well.
    A lot of people mistakenly think that a tight twist barrel won't shoot light/short bullets but that's not true as you have found with the 55gr Noslers.
    Once you get into reloading give the Nosler Varmageddon 62gr projectiles a shot and load them over CFE223, That combination has worked well for me in numerous rifles with 7 and 8 twist barrels. You'll have to work up your own load as I can't remember what my charge weight was and I'm at work now so can't check my logbook.

Good luck
    Last edited by cr5; 12-07-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_r View Post
    Some guys have more money than time, I can accept that easily, the ones that bother me are the dimwitted water heads that think that just because they bought a $4k rifle with a fancy barrel that it should shoot Norinco or other surplus junk into a 1 moa group even though they've never shot a sub moa group in their life with any gun and they're disappointed with the rifle if it doesn't. That is the best time to throw the regular unleaded in a Ferrari analogy at them, most still don't understand though.

Quote Originally Posted by cr5 View Post
    Some guys have more money than time, I can accept that easily, the ones that bother me are the dimwitted water heads that think that just because they bought a $4k rifle with a fancy barrel that it should shoot Norinco or other surplus junk into a 1 moa group even though they've never shot a sub moa group in their life with any gun and they're disappointed with the rifle if it doesn't. That is the best time to throw the regular unleaded in a Ferrari analogy at them, most still don't understand though.
    I just wish it was because I had a surplus of money and not a deficit of time . Thanks for the advice on amp/projectiles btw.

Quote Originally Posted by 700-223 View Post

I just wish it was because I had a surplus of money and not a deficit of time . Thanks for the advice on amp/projectiles btw.
    I have neither a surplus of cash or time these days, I handload so I can afford to shoot as much as I do (which isn't enough). I like being able to load more accurate ammo for less money than factory rolled stuff. Luckily I have a private range on my property so I can squeeze in more shooting time than most do but just like money there is never enough time for what we want to be doing.
    The nice thing about reloading is that you do it at home so after you put the kids to bed you take an hour or two in the gun room instead of wasting your life watching stupid shows on the TV.

Good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123