Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Germany to Vancouver (with my guns)

Moving from Germany to Vancouver (with my guns)

Hi everyone,

I am reading stuff here every now and then. For years I am interested in moving to Canada. I had the luck to been able to work 3 months in Canada some years go and really enjoyed it. Now fast forward to the present I have a job offer in Vancouver.
    A big question for me: "What about my guns?"
    I am a German living in Germany and I am in my thirties. I own several guns, under them a lot of different types of guns.

As far as I understood I can do an RPAL right away, I just have to provide a background check from my current country. I also read that it is possible to declare my guns on entry and I can keep them at least 6 weeks without an RPAL and I can also extend this. For my restricted guns I also need to get an ATT but I haven't looked into how to get it, yet.
    If that is about right then I am almost good to go I guess.
    But now coming to the more complicated part (at least for me). Which of my guns can I take and which makes sense to take with me?

Here is a simplified list of what I want to bring
    • Pistols in .40S&W and 9mm, both barrel length longer than 4.1"
    • AR10 and AR15 in .308 and .223 (I guess I have to leave the magazines?)
    • semi automatic shotgun
    • lever action and bolt action rifle

I also have a revolver with a 4" barrel, but I guess I won't bring that one because it is a prohibited firearm, right?

Am I right that I can bring all those guns with me, is it really that easy (here in Germany it is not that easy to get firearms) and are these guns worth the costs (how much would it be)?
    How do I store the guns, can I buy ammo and most important of all, are there any long range (100m, 300m or so) gun ranges in the Vancouver area?

Hope that does not seem to crazy but I really enjoy shooting and I don't want to give it up.
    So I hope you can help me finding my way through bureaucracy.

Thanks for your help

I pulled this off the RCMP site. It has all the info about transporting the guns as well. You have to contact the RCMP about bringing in restricted firearms. It sounds like there may be a few more steps to take. I have a buddy that is in the RCMP and see if he knows any details and reply again. As far as the AR's go, are they full auto? If so, they will be prohibited. The short bbl revolver will also be prohibited. The magazines would have to be pinned to be legal in Canada.

Licensing Requirements

Note

This information applies to firearms that are neither restricted nor prohibited, as defined in section 2 and Part III of the Criminal Code of Canada. For information on moving to Canada with restricted firearms, contact the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Canadian Firearms Program (CFP), by one of the methods listed at the end of this page. There are additional requirements for restricted firearms, and they will not be allowed into Canada if those requirements are not followed.

In order to lawfully possess a firearm in Canada, it is necessary to have a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL), which allows for the possession and acquisition of a specified class or classes of firearms. PALs are issued by the RCMP CFP.

Canadian firearms safety-training requirements must be met prior to applying for a PAL. A course from another country would not meet legal requirements.

Firearms can be brought to Canada and declared in writing, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form RCMP 5589). If there are more than three firearms, the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Continuation Sheet (form RCMP 5590) can be attached. Once a Canada Border Services Agency customs officer has confirmed the declaration, it will act as a licence for the owner for up to 60 days, for a single fee (regardless of how many firearms are listed) of $25 (Canadian funds).

Obtaining a PAL

To apply for a PAL, form RCMP 5592 must be submitted, including evidence that Canadian safety-training requirements have been met. The CFO of the province or territory where the firearms will be used should be contacted for information on any other documents that may need to be provided by authorities in the former country of residence to assist with the background check.

Two references must also be provided on a PAL application. It is not necessary that these references be from Canada. However, they must have known the applicant for three years or more, and must sign the form. A spouse cannot act as a reference.

Spouses or conjugal partners who have lived with the applicant in the previous two years must sign the application form (or proof provided that they were notified).

The fee for an initial PAL is $60 for non-restricted firearms. It must be renewed every five years. For more information on the current licence fee structure, please contact the CFP.

Complete and accurate PAL applications are normally processed within 45 days, including a legislated minimum waiting period of 28 days before a licence can be issued.

Transporting Firearms

All firearms must be unloaded and transported in a safe and secure manner to deter loss, theft and prevent accidents.

If an individual transports firearms, they need to comply with the transportation requirements set out in the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations. For non-restricted firearms:

A secure locking device, such as a trigger lock or cable lock, should be attached, so the firearms cannot be fired; or
    The firearms should be locked in a cabinet, container or room that is difficult to break into.
    The ammunition should be stored separately or locked up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.
    If left in an unattended vehicle, firearms should be kept in the trunk, or out of sight. The vehicle should be locked.
    If the firearms are shipped, they must be sent by licensed carrier. They must be unloaded and packed in a sturdy, non-transparent container that cannot be easily broken open. To deter loss and theft, it is generally recommended that there be no markings on the outside of the container to indicate that there is a firearm inside. Instead, an envelope labeled "customs documents" can be attached to the outside of the container, while any documents needed to identify the contents for customs purposes are kept inside.

Information

For more information, contact the CFP.

This fact sheet is intended to provide general information only. For legal references, please refer to the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act and their corresponding regulations. Provincial, territorial and municipal laws, regulations and policies may also apply.

Just a thought would it not be easier to sell all of your firearms in Germany ..[1] come to Canada [2] apply for all the necessary documents [3] buy new firearms in Canada ..
    T/C pro hunter .s/s..7mm rem.mag.

edited
    Last edited by Wolfstrack; 08-24-2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Si vis Pacem para Bellum !

LIFE experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

BANNED
    Can you bring the uppers?

i have moved from new zealand to canada ... my advice would be DONT sell your guns , ...i arrived with my family in jan this year , my handguns came later in a shipping container , i got my pal and rpal within a few weeks of arriving , you will need a letter of good conduct from your local police arms officer . customs will not let you have your guns at the airport , they will be taken even if you have your rpal , they havent been verified , they havent been registred into canada either , this will all take time ... as a traveller coming into canada you dont need an import permit to bring them in , you will need an export pert to take them out of germany .
    do not bring magazines that are not already pinned or more than the allowed capacity .. you cannot say you will pin them later , they will be taken ,
    all of this will take time . and a little money , .
    or you can sell your guns , do all your courses , join a range , buy new handguns ..
    up to you , i kept mine because they mean something to me , it all just takes time .
    good luck
    "you are never , out of the fight"

one other thing is your guns will be taken at the airport you land in , so if you are working in ontario , but clear immagration in vancouver that is where your guns will be held , they will charge storage costs etc . you will not be allowed to continue into canada with them .
    "you are never , out of the fight"

Thanks for your input, guys.

For me bringing my guns with me sounds so simple that it seems to be the better choice compared to selling the guns here and buy new ones in Canada.
    There are some guns I will leave here for sure, for example my .22lr, I think it makes more sense to buy one in Canada.

Maybe there are some more people out there who went through the process.

And none of my guns are full auto. As a civilian it is almost if not completely impossible to get a gun in full auto in Germany. I am happy that I can have the guns that I have.

Hey everyone,

just wanted to post an updated for other people who maybe want to bring guns with them to Canada.
    It was actually really simple. If you have all the documents ready then it should be no problem. It was more a hassle to deal with the airline than to deal with Canadian officials. They were really nice, kind and open. Checked everything, also made sure that I did not bring any ammunition that is not allowed in Canada.
    Same for the German officials. All in all I would recommend bringing your guns with you.

And I already booked the CFSC/CRFSC. Can't wait to get my RPAL.

Right on glad to hear all is going smooth! Welcome to Canada!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast