Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the 123gr .312 Russian Pulled Bullets?

Using these projectiles I've been getting 1/2-1 MOA groups consistently using H4198 from my 308 @115yd.
    Been trying to transition over to using D4198 but I'm getting more like 2-3 MOA so far.
    I run them through a push through sizer to .3085"
    In 300blk using a reddot I get approx. 2MOA groupings @ 115yd.
    Last edited by Receipt; 07-08-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    With guns...we are citizens.
    Without guns...we are subjects.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." H. L. Mencken

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    I bought them to use in 54R

I tried some yesterday with the Harris load - 16gr 2400 and 17gr 4227 out of a 91/30 sniper that I have had decent results with for cast bullets loaded to similar levels

The 2400 load looked very promising. 4227 not so much.

I've no intention of trying any official load data. I didn't buy cheap bullets to stuff a case full of expensive 4895 behind.

Does the Lee sizer work on these? I'd never thought of reducing them to try in the 300 blackout. I assume some sort of case lube is required?
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

I use the lee resizer and Lee resizing lubricant or Mink oil in a Lee challenger single stage, works excellent for me.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." H. L. Mencken

CGN Regular
    I pull my own bullets for 7.62x39 off cz527. 23.5gr IMR4198 loaded close to max OAL I get good accuracy with both pulled bullet and hornady vmax. POI is about the same.

My guess is make sure you are not compressing the load, as longer profile of the surplus projectile could cause that

POI to 125gr SST's also very close IME.

Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    My suspicion is that the longer projectile is increasing the pressure inside the case leading to the the huge POI shift.
    You *should* be able to get better results from a different powder like N120.
    I'm not sure that's the case either. I started with reduced loads and worked my way from 23.5gr to 26gr (2100fps to 2300fps). Right from the beginning it was shooting over top of my targets at 100yards. However SD's were very low (<10) through the entire load spectrum. My experience is typically when pressures get too low or too high, your SD's start to jump all over the place.

Whats very odd is that the rifle is zeroed perfectly with Federal and Winchester 123/124gr factory ammo, and also zeroed with my 123gr and 150gr Hornady handloads. It's only these Russian bullets that are shooting high, it's really odd! I suppose I could try another powder, but I was really hoping to use the D4198.
    "A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust." - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Receipt View Post
    POI to 125gr SST's also very close IME.
    What powder are you using? Have you shot them through a chrono?
    "A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust." - James Madison

Probably steel core?
    Armorer Sig Sauer Pistols/ Colt C8

Quote Originally Posted by tibbettsistough View Post
    Probably steel core?
    Yes they are

Regular 7.62 X 39 is a 310 bore, shooting 312 bullets will increase chamber pressure dramatically hence higher velocity and point of impact.
    Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you
    Jesus Christ and the Canadian Soldier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast