Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the 123gr .312 Russian Pulled Bullets?

Anyone tried the 123gr .312 Russian Pulled Bullets?

Just wondering if anyone else had tried using these? Would like to hear other peoples experiences!

I've recently started experimenting with these bullets for reloading 7.62x39 using D4198 powder. I'm getting great chrono numbers, but on paper they are shooting VERY high and accuracy is very poor. When compared against Hornady 123gr bullets using the same powder at the same velocity (2300fps), the Russian bullets are about 16" high at 100 yards. I didn't expect these to be as accurate as the Hornady bullets, but I'm pretty disappointed with my results so far.

I double checked the weight they are consistently 122-123gr. The bullet is a much longer boat tail design compared to the Hornady, I suspect this would be slightly more aerodynamic but that hardly accounts for the huge POI shift from other 123gr bullets.

Chrono Data - Russian 123gr FMJ-BT w/D4198

Avg Vel: 2301fps
    Min Vel: 2296fps
    Max Vel: 2311fps
    Spread: 15
    Std Dev: 6.6
    Shots: 5
    "A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust." - James Madison

BANNED
    with that spread in velocity I would assume you'd be pretty accurate, unless they're just not gripping the bore. Tumbling? Other than POI, what kind of groups are we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by bigplinker View Post
    with that spread in velocity I would assume you'd be pretty accurate, unless they're just not gripping the bore. Tumbling? Other than POI, what kind of groups are we talking about?
    Exactly what I thought, that's match grade consistency! I measured a number of the bullets and they were all .312" so I know diameter isn't the issue. Groups are very inconsistent, at 50yd they were about 6-8". I seen no signs of tumbling at 100 on paper, but it's difficult to hit paper at that distance. I'm not able to consistently hit a 2/3 size IPSC steel target at 100yds. Also my barrel is a 1:10" twist, so the longer length projectile should be more than stable at that velocity.

Typically Hornady 123gr SP's shoot into a 2-3" group at 100yds from this gun. I've also shot 150gr projectiles with great results.
    "A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust." - James Madison

BANNED
    I don't know at this point. Check your scope

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Are they steel core bullets? If they are I would expect them not shoot anywhere as good as the Hornady bullets.

I was thinking about getting some of those and using them for the reloading .303 British. Anyone have any experience with that?

What type of rifle are you shooting these out of?

Quote Originally Posted by bigplinker View Post
    I don't know at this point. Check your scope
    Nah, scope is good. I can switch back to Factory brass case ammo and it shoots fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crashcollins View Post
    Are they steel core bullets? If they are I would expect them not shoot anywhere as good as the Hornady bullets.
    They are steel core. Like I said I'm not expecting great accuracy I just wanted to be able to plink steel, right now I can't even do that. I also didn't think I would have to adjust for a 16" POI shift.

My suspicion is that the longer projectile is increasing the pressure inside the case leading to the the huge POI shift.
    You *should* be able to get better results from a different powder like N120.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast