Savage Axis II Scout Stainless 20" in 7.62x39 *North Sylva Exclusive*

Switching out the Axis to left handed is not that tough at all, you need a left handed bolt body and a left hand bolt handle. You end up with a left hand bolt, right hand eject rifle. I converted a Savage (Stevens 200) .233 from right handed to left handed and re-barrelled to 6.5 Grendel. That did take some minor machine work where the bolt handle comes down but nothing that could not be done with a file if required. The Axis is simpler as the handle area is the same on both side of the receiver.

I have also put together a left handed Axis in 7.62 x 39mm using a heavy Savage barrel in .308, re-chambering and turning out the bolt face of a .223 bolt to work with 7.62 x 39mm. It shoots handloads and Hornaday factory SST's into the same hole at 100m and it opens up to about an inch and a half with Chinese surplus ball. I have loaded with .308 and .311 diameter bullets and have found no real difference in accuracy. It is also mounted into a MDT LSS chassis and fitted with a Bushnell 3200 fixed 10 power

Scott

I picked one up as well, being confident that the rebate will work, as Cabelas list it on all types of Axis rifles: orginal, IIs, etc ...

Looking forward to seeing how this rifle behaves next to my Howa in 7.62x39.

I purchased one of these. Haven't fired it yet, will do that soon. I'm really looking forward to the high capacity 3 round magazine.

The trigger is nice, the action is really long, and the muzzle brake has to come off. The sights are good, and I actually like the stock.

I'm going to throw a scope on to do some load testing, and I figure this rifle should do 1-2 inches easily.

There are some things I really like about this rifle, like the sights and the stock. The 3 round magazine, hideous brake, and long action bolt are hard to stomach. I think the main selling point of this rifle is the 7.62x39 calibre.

Really, it's long action? That is bazaar, glad I didn't order a stock yet.

I have a red dot to mount on mine, it wont' be scoped, hopefully it sits low enough to use irons too. I like flush fitting magazines on bolt guns, but having an option would be nice when at the bench.
I purchased one of these. Haven't fired it yet, will do that soon. I'm really looking forward to the high capacity 3 round magazine.

The trigger is nice, the action is really long, and the muzzle brake has to come off. The sights are good, and I actually like the stock.

I'm going to throw a scope on to do some load testing, and I figure this rifle should do 1-2 inches easily.

There are some things I really like about this rifle, like the sights and the stock. The 3 round magazine, hideous brake, and long action bolt are hard to stomach. I think the main selling point of this rifle is the 7.62x39 calibre.

Has anyone truly measured the bore dia.? This has been asked by many and speculated upon by most. No accuracy reports (three rounds is not a group). Thread size of muzzle brake? Is front sight pinned. Does anyone really own one or is it for the Sofa Shooters to dream about. Mine is in the mail (Savage Scout axis II 7.62x39), looks like I will have to post some truths.

Have at it, don't insult the rest.
Has anyone truly measured the bore dia.? This has been asked by many and speculated upon by most. No accuracy reports (three rounds is not a group). Thread size of muzzle brake? Is front sight pinned. Does anyone really own one or is it for the Sofa Shooters to dream about. Mine is in the mail (Savage Scout axis II 7.62x39), looks like I will have to post some truths.

Mine came in and finally spent time on the range this weekend.

First thing: the Online rebate form refuses the SKU, so there is that. I might call and confirm, but looks like no 100$ rebate.

So onto the rifle.

Pros :
1) Light and handy.
2) It is stainless, except for the trigger assembly, the firing-pin/pin-guide, bolt pin and the magazine.
3) The peep sight works well.
4) The muzzle break works (but, see below).
Cons :
1) The ejector failed to toss brand-new PPU factory brass out. Unless I flailed the bolt, even milsurp got stuck. Needs tuning.
2) Weak primer strikes on milsurp: 2 out of 10 rounds needed a second bolt cycle to work.
3) The magazine is lame, clicking in feels like it will break.
4) The muzzle brake looks really out of place, being that long. Appears to be threaded, so will replace with a S&J shorty.
5) The stock/barrel is free-floated, but a constriction is felt. Might need to sand down the stock a bit. It is also very soft, so flex can push against barrel.

zMzHFiv.jpg

xzRBK4i.jpg

I did not bother with the target, at 53m, as I was pre-occupied with the ejector and that did not make me shoot consistently. I was expecting no better or worse then my Howa 1500 in 7.62x39. I expected to trade a good magazine setup of the Howa for stainless, threaded, sights, threaded on the Axis 2.

The ejector also made me stop taking careful notes, so this rifle won't get a review like the Howa circa 2016 ( https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...Howa-1500-Mini-Action-in-7-62x39-at-the-range ) until I can eject reliably.

In summary : tad disappointing.

Really, it's long action? That is bazaar, glad I didn't order a stock yet.

I have a red dot to mount on mine, it wont' be scoped, hopefully it sits low enough to use irons too. I like flush fitting magazines on bolt guns, but having an option would be nice when at the bench.

All savage axis are built on a single action length. They switch between short and long action with two features. One, the bolt baffle rotates, with a shorter lug on one side and a longer on the other, the shorter lug goes on the side of the bolt stop for a long action. (this just controls how far back the bolt travels) The other feature is the removable trigger guard section - there are two sizes, which adjusts the size is the magazine well.

I suggest JB welding the trigger guard in. It makes the wrist so much more sturdy, and as long as you don't plan on trying long action magazines (which would require sourcing the correct trigger guard) then being able to remove it is a pointless feature.

Thanks, I understand the concept and see how Savage has done this now. My concern was, in selecting a Boyd's stock specific to Savage, same action length, but long vs short for the magazine box size. I was confused at the time and didn't want to order the wrong one.

All savage axis are built on a single action length. They switch between short and long action with two features. One, the bolt baffle rotates, with a shorter lug on one side and a longer on the other, the shorter lug goes on the side of the bolt stop for a long action. (this just controls how far back the bolt travels) The other feature is the removable trigger guard section - there are two sizes, which adjusts the size is the magazine well.

I suggest JB welding the trigger guard in. It makes the wrist so much more sturdy, and as long as you don't plan on trying long action magazines (which would require sourcing the correct trigger guard) then being able to remove it is a pointless feature.

So I was finally able to get mine to the range for a quick session today. Using Hornady SST's steel case, and a 2 MOA red dot, several groupings at .5 and .7 inches at 50 meters, using only a front rest on the for-end and being very careful / taking my time. Magazine sucks, continuously nose dives the third and last round, nose down in the mag when trying to chamber, a real PITA, and destroys polymer tips.

The barrel is free floated, but there is A LOT of flex in the stock, for-end and wrist.

Back
Top Bottom