Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My PRS Learning Journey - Share here...

I have almost the exact same set up (if you remember when you visited). I have since ditched the ball head and mount the Hog Saddle directly to the tripod. I found it reduced most of the wobble and groups improved.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieT View Post
    I have almost the exact same set up (if you remember when you visited). I have since ditched the ball head and mount the Hog Saddle directly to the tripod. I found it reduced most of the wobble and groups improved.
    Now I ordered the ball head to be able to tilt the PIG Saddle slight up or slight down if I had to shoot at "unhorizontal" targets or sloped targets. I can always take it off and try the PIG Saddle directly on top of the tripod like you did.

For my clients I would like them to have this option; and try to see what can work for them!

Barney

I've used the Hog saddle without the ball head at some severe angles. I just adjust the rifles and clamp it in tight. Still seemed more stable, but it is slower to make adjustments. Ymmv

CGN Regular
    I have been doing a lot of tripod practice the last month in preparation for the PRS match that was in New Hampshire. I anticipated we would have some high angle shots and a tripod would come in handy. This practice was a huge benefit. We had 2 stages shot off RRS tripods and heads. These tripods are crazy solid, but at around 1500 US for the compete set up I can not justify.

The setup I have been using is a hog saddle on a Sunwayfoto DYH90i leveling and Arca swiss quick mount. This gives you 15 degrees of up and down movement as well as 360 rotation. You can easily put enough tension to keep the rifle from tipping but still allow for smooth movement. This leveling head set up cost about 200 canadian from B&H.
    The tripod is a PRTS that hog saddle sells. My opinion this tripod is over priced at around 550 canadian. The Slik 700 and now the rebranded one hog sells is a solid tripod for reasonable money.

As for bags I use a pump pillow and game changer for everything. The game changer dose double duty as a rear bag and barricade bag. The Pillow fills the voids and give rear support on the rifle. When shooting off the tripod I use the pillow on my lap when sitting and a sling on the front to pull down on to help with stability. From standing I only use a sling.

One of the best training aids I know of is dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Make every shot a perfect shot. Practice breathing, trigger control and follow through. STAY ON THE RIFLE WHEN RUNNING THE BOLT. If you come off your rifle you loose valuable time to reacquire your site picture and target. You can brake this habit with dry fire. After you have the basic down add in multiple targets and pretend they are at different distance. Practice hold over / hold unders as well as dialing.

The basics you need to go to your first PRS style match is
    1. a solid .75 moa rifle min, dependable scope( preferably FFP).
    2. Solid bipod. Harris or Atlas are the standard.
    3. good balistics program, and have checked the dope at distance (min 600m)
    4. Rear bag. You can use this on barricades bag as well.
    5. Backpack to keep your gear in and use it on some stages

This is the minimum equipment, Below is the list of nice to have/make things easier.

1. Reload the very best ammo you can. I push for .25 moa at 200m. Most targets are 2 to 3 moa. You can get away with .50 moa.
    2. A FFP scope with good redical.
    3.game changer and Pump pillow. These bags are extremely useful. Just make sure you practice with them first.
    4. Kestrel. I have held off till now to get a good wind meter. I will be getting a 5700 elite next week. This kestrel allow you to get all your dope and wind calls in one unit.
    5. Take a class on positional shooting. There are some basic techniques that will allow you to stay on target better through recoil management and solid positions.

Shooting the DCRA/NSCC COF is a great entry point into long range shooting. It builds great fundamentals and pushing for tight accuracy. You can do well at this COF with some basic instruction and minimal practice. When you start down the road of PRS shooting you need to practice what you anticipate shooting. build a simple barricade and practise different positions. Start slow and create the most solid position possible. Start doing transitions and build your positions quicker with time. I have been competing for 5 years and 2 years now in PRS, it is for sure the most challenging shooting I have done and the most fun. Push your self to be better shooters.

Last thing is buy a 22lr trainer. Try to make it as close as possible to your comp gun. I run a MDT ESS for comp and a MDT LSS for 22 practice. It is a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot 300 round of 22lr and a blast. We usually shoot then at 100 to 300 yds or at the indoor range at 25m.

Well that was a lot longer then I Expected.

Cheers
    Ryan

Great advice

Thanks for all that knowledge Ryan! I really like the advice on keeping on the rifle and dry firing! As the new comer here I just want to support what Ryan has said about a .22 trainer! I got one up and going last year and my conservative estimate is 6000 rounds since I've got it up and running. Cant afford much training with something large. I've notice a huge positive difference in my over all skills across several shooting platforms and discipline. Every guy I talk to, I try and convince to get a .22 training rig going!!! You wont be sorry if you do!
    Last edited by Nate.308; 07-22-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    "I shoot better in the rain" TT

“Be the head of a chicken not the tail of a bull” Toyzone

CGN frequent flyer
    Thanks for the info Ryan. I was looking at ordering the PRST tripod. Now I'll rethink. You gave us some solid info to ponder and act on.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theDuck View Post
    Thanks for the info Ryan. I was looking at ordering the PRST tripod. Now I'll rethink. You gave us some solid info to ponder and act on.
    Howard:

I've got the PIG 0311G tripod here for you to try at my PR match..... Don't buy one yet... USE mine for the time being on that target lane....

Cheers,
    Barney

CGN frequent flyer
    Thanks Barney.

Business Member
    Here is my setup for training..... And it's all about the training.... just like in Service Rifle and / or any other shooting discipline, these are fundamental principles that can/will be carried over. It's that simple.

Check out all that brass on the ground. Start by finding out which (start from the cheapest and work your way up the $$ scale) Then buy a shztload of ammo (above 1K ) in bulk packages. For me it's the CCI Stinger ammo that boast a velocity of 1640 fps with a 32 grain hollow point booolit.

Use a recycled peanut butter jar. First reason, you got lots of them already. Second reason, they are clear and see through. Third reason, the lid is a most handy dish for holding the .22 LR rounds in front of you or near you and they won't fall off the bench or roll around on the floor.

Label your peanut butter jar with a torn off portion of the packing label/bulk box/cardboard container...

Another view of the rig, and peanut butter jar. The nice thing about prescription bottles, you can always repurpose them for our/your shooting hobby....

My trainer simulates my hunting rifle, My Winnie Model 70 .308 Featherweight; it's a CZ 455 American Synthetic... AND I can go out and hunt gophers in Southern AB with this miniature sniper rifle...

Now you can have a close up look of the PIG Saddle (stamped steel) that's a budget HOG Saddle (milled aluminum) and a bit more expensive for the aluminum HOG Saddle. I placed the tensioning knob on the support hand (left side for me, I'm right handed). The pan adjustment and ball tension screws are on my strong hand/ right hand side since I'll rarely use them.

And YES, that is a Leupold Mark4 LR 3.5 x 10 x 40mm scope on this training rig. How come such great optics on a .22 LR Trainer? Because I can obtain the best and clearest feedback when I'm shooting/training at 50m and 100m. I'm not fighting the knobs on a price point/ bargain basement/ super cheap Zhinese scope. I need to know that when I miss the bullseye, it's me alone and NOT my equipment!

And of course steel ARMS 22 rings of which I have multiple sets here at home. Why ? Spare parts that's why. With many sets of ARMS 22 rings, I have spare screws in case any of them crap out the week before the NSCC National Matches in Ottawa... been there, done that!

And of course, now you can see a close up of the ball head by Feisol for $160 USD from www dot hogsaddle dot com

Notice the ball head tension is on MY left side....

Pan tension knob on my right side (of course I'm looking up range)

Now, here is my training regimen.....

I like to use a BINGO Dabber from the Dollar Store, it's almost an inch across, easy to use, never dries out and lasts me many years. Yup, it's a small target but sure is easy to spot your hits/holes....

I launched 10 to 11 rounds at each red dot.... Some of the groups are large but as you can see I've made progress. I started out top left, moving across to the right. Then working my way down, row by row.

The best groups are along the bottom and I was really enjoying the "getting the hang" of this tripod and ball head and PIG Saddle assembly....

Here is a view of what I see from the sitting position, or behind the tripod assembly. You can see the largest ball head tension knob on my support side (left side) and also the PIG Saddle tension knob on my support side, too. That way, the biggest knobs are readily accessible when my strong hand is supporting the rifle during the mounting and dismounting process.

Notice the 'minor' knobs like the Quick Detach plate are on the opposite side (strong/right side) since they are not as critical to me, hey, it's my setup, you go ahead and deliberately set up YOUR tripod rig the way that works for YOU. There is no RIGHT / Wrong way. It's gotta be good for YOU and only YOU....

Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 07-25-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast