Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: My PRS Learning Journey - Share here...

Business Member
    Having RO’ed a bunch of stages at the Meaford LRSC, I observed many top shooters having a mag or 2 on their hips to carry out their mag changes or top ups at various stages. Most interesting. So I began my search for different modern kydex magazine holders.

No doubt I could have returned to my roots as a Service Rifle shooter or CQB shooter since I do have a myriad of Tactical Tailor doubles and triple AR15 mag pouches on my vest. And my plate carrier and battle belt are outfitted with HSGI Taco (both double and singles) for rifle and pistol.

So I want to explore the new Kydex options, especially focusing on the local sources / businesses and both these makers are in Eastern Ontario (Petawawa and Ottawa). Seems to be a recurring location for me...

I do have to warn you I am old school (2018 celebrates my 40th anniversary from my 1st deployment in Nicosia, Cyprus) and I’m trained to return and empty mag to the pouch. Or simply put, don’t leave your empty magazine behind at the “Tank Trap” stage..... uh, they are expensive!!

I’ve been in contact with the great people like Ryan at Highlander Tactical and Eric over at Gray Fox Solutions. They each sent me a magazine holder and I thought I should share some observations with you super folks in the PR/PRS Forums.

Disclaimer: I don’t have a mandate for hostile operations against enemies of the Queen, both foreign and domestic (I’ve been attested many times in my careers) so I ain’t writing this for those of you who have to deploy and capture Bin Laden/ Mullah Omar/ Al Baghdadi....Mind you I would take this kit overseas if I had to defend my subdivision in the event of a zombie invasion. Most of the time, this tough as nails gear will fall apart long after I’m dead and gone. I’m impressed with the build materials, that’s what I’m saying.

Both these magazine holders will hold M14 5/20, AICS Dbl stack and single stack (steel and polymer), and even my 5 rounder PMag AC Magpul AICS.

Highlander Tactical unit in Coyote Brown and Gray Fox Solutions in Multicam...

Name:  9C101A41-4A82-45C2-BC08-F8D509847482.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  55.9 KB

Both these magazine holders employ easy to manipulate TekLok and DOTS gates. The TekLok gate has a hinged safety gate I had to manipulate with my fingernail (hard to do with Mechanix Gloves) so that I could squeeze the 2 latches. I do have to say those latches were a challenge (Hey, I’m 60 years young) to operate while the mag holder was mounted on my Riggers Belt. I had to reach underneath while twisted and my “love handles” got in the way of accessing the retainers to be squeezed from an odd angle. Honestly one will likely not be doing this mag carrier removal/rearranging while on the firing line. Usually I wait until I’m back in the kit line (at CQB) or off the mound (at Service Rifle and PR) or at the squadding area (at PRS matches).

Highlander Tactical unit in Coyote Brown and Gray Fox Solutions in Multicam....

Attachment 215318

I tried the same antics with the Gray Fox Solutions (DOTS gate), it’s operated by sliding the bottom located safety gate and then pushing UP on the fastener. It’s that simple. Is that a good thing? I don’t want anything releasing unexpectedly on my at the wrong time. Like I said, it worked well even despite my accumulated clothing (hoodie and first layer) and ‘love handles’. Just remember to slide that slider into the Lock position and it ain’t coming undone accidentally.

Attachment 215318

Both TekLok and DOTS gates can handle up to 2” belts. The TekLok retainer can do up to 2 1/4” which can be an advantage.

Both TekLok and DOTS gates come with belt width reducers and they are interchangeable between brands (really cool). These push in belts reducers are easy to use and like my beloved Magpul gear, they are well thought out and executed. It’s just a matter of pushing them out and saving them is a ziploc bag along with extra hardware from your Magpul screws and kit.

Have a look at the pictures and you can locate these (2 issued) horizontal black spacers ... they are employed by both TekLok and DOTS and interchangeable....I like that!

Attachment 215319

You will be pleased to know that BOTH my Highlander Tactical and Gray Fox Solutions mag holders can swap the TekLok AND DOTS system of gates since they have the identical spacing of screw / fastener holes. I had a chat with Eric at GFS and he mentioned this fact. I happen to like BOTH fasteners so it’s all good.

I like the TekLok so much that I attached the Highlander Tactical unit to my PR Assault pack, the Maxpedition Condor 2 to hold my double stack AI AW magazine.

Attachment 215320

Now since I am old school and I like re-holstering an empty mag back in the holder, I tried doing this with both magazine holders on my Riggers Belt. Both magazines were inserted with ease while my wife was watching “Say Yes to the Dress”. I need to do something manly all this while!

Attachment 215321

I was curious so I measured the “Flare Standoff” spacing from the edge of the Kydex to the magazine body. This is what I found....

Highlander Tactical = 1/8” space / stand off / opening from the edge of the magazine side wall

Gray Fox Solutions = 1/16” but a generous 1/16” space / stand off from the edge of mag side wall

Both magazine holders employ Phillips screws easily adjusted with #1 and / 0r #2 Phillips screw drivers

Both magazines are easily tensioned or opened up to accomodate magazine systems from the M14 to the AICS . I don’t have my beloved FNC1A1 magazines any more.....

I find that the ability to tension your magazines is a major advantage since some of us may be deployed in airmobile operations and some of us need the tension while negotiating the “Stairway to Heaven Stage” at Meaford LRSC, thanks to Ryan-Mcle (the best MD around).

Some of us may prefer greater or stronger mag pouches retention, some might want a loose grab instead of a firm tug on the magazine retrieval, all done under stress, of course...

Right now they are both adjusted for my AI AW magazines. And then I left them there.

Both magazines have ample water drainage openings on the bottom. The Highlander Tactical unit has a generous 1/8” gap along the entire bottom to get that sand or gravel away from the magazine body. That’s for those of you who find yourself carrying out beach / gravel pit assaults.

Attachment 215321

In Summary:

Don’t buy ONE, buy TWO of them! Ha ha ha ha. You M14 dudes knew that was coming, Yuk Yuk Yuk....

I’m still tossed and undecided which securing gate I prefer (TekLok or DOTS) but I will use the DOTS supplied Gray Fox Solutions on my battle belt/ riggers Belt on the firing line and the TekLok outfitted Highlander Tactical holder on my rucksack. Both can easily be switched if I need 2 magazines on my belt. For now the DOTS outfitted Gray Fox Solutions will sit on my belt.

I love both these units....if I had to select one over the other, it would be a tough choice BUT I have them BOTH so decision averted! One on my pack and one on my belt....DONE!

Both these vendors / makers can be found on the ‘net’ and on Facebook. Both of them are Canadian so I heartily say, “Make Canada Great Again”. Ha ha ha ha

Support Canadian Small Business!

Cheers and warmest regards,

Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 10-22-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Business Member
    Picket fence stage....
    MLRSC Stage 5 2019 September....

Skinny game changer? Fat game changer? Wiebad Fortune Cookie?

What would/did/can/may/likely use?

Bring the discussion on....

Cheers, Barney

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    Picket fence stage....
    MLRSC Stage 5 2019 September....

Skinny game changer? Fat game changer? Wiebad Fortune Cookie?

What would/did/can/may/likely use?

Bring the discussion on....

Cheers, Barney
    That stage was tough, I know what I’m practicing this off season. I didn’t have a bag that really worked for it. The learning curve is steep sometimes.

Business Member
    Yes it was a tough stage... okay, pint size game changer by Armageddon?

Cheers, Barney

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rugbydave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    Yes it was a tough stage... okay, pint size game changer by Armageddon?

Cheers, Barney
    Pint Size Gamechanger with heavy fill by Armageddon Gear, worked well for me on that stage. It's pretty much my go-to bag for everything (including as a rear bag). I pretty much only carry that bag and a "pump pillow" (actually Armageddon Gear Fat Bag) for all the matches I shoot.

CGN Regular
    I used my skinny rear bag because it was easy to fit between the slats quickly.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRDJer View Post
    I used my skinny rear bag because it was easy to fit between the slats quickly.
    Stage RO speaking here:

Yeah I observed that many folks brought the REAL Game Changer bag to the stiles/slats/pickets and they were in for a real surprise. Some just dumped that GC bag on the ground and shot off the level spots. Some had a challenge balancing their rig as they acquired 5B or 5A under the clock and the bag migrated and fell forward. Now they had to use the hard surface; good, bad, or indifferent.

And that’s why I ask you expert competitors out there. BTW, I did message the Insite crew on Facebook and they mentioned the bags are a few weeks from arriving back in stock. Time to buy myself a pint-sized GC bag.

Cheers, Barney

Pint size game changer in my future as well. Great match, hope to shoot it again next year.
    Oh oh... that's gonna hurt.

Business Member
    Warning.... lots of fun shooting steel.....

I need to brighten up my day and get away from the TV....

I just bought these 2 Figure 14 Targets from JRTargets in the Muskoka Area. 1/2” AR550 NIJ Level 4.... very serious steel for your high energy centerfire blasting.

I bought the hardware / mounting/ bolts/ straps that is offered with their steel targets and I could not be happier.

Here’s the back of the target:

Attachment 307069

Several of you here are PRS shooters so you know that one should always set up their steel targets on approved ranges... Shrouding for safety can/may/will / often may be a good thing... I attempt to be as safe as I can all the time. Hahahahaha

Here are the rubber straps with triple reinforcing belts woven / processed into the rubber:

Attachment 307070

I’m using a Ryobi Tapered Wood Plug bit in 1/2” size from Home Depot to cut holes into the rubber straps. I was able to cut the rubber straps with a 32 teeth per inch hacksaw/blade/tool.

Attachment 307071

You will see the carriage bolts, nut, washer along with the tapered plug cutter on my Milwaukee M12 drill

Attachment 307071

In the next picture you will notice I attached the carriage bolt through the wrong end , so I had to back off that nut and start again.... ooops. There’s a reason I am an expert and that’s because I’ve fzcked up more times that many of you! Ha ha ha haha

Attachment 307072

Okay, here we go, turned things around. I want that nut/washer on the rear of the steel impact surface...Thanks to my son who gave me the adjustable Channel Lock pliers for Xmas last December

Attachment 307073

So this final picture shows how things are done at the Meaford LRSC .... They recommend these reinforced hanger rubber straps since they take many, many hits. Repairing a broken chain in the middle of a 10 stage match shooting simultaneously is onerous so these straps take the cake.... it’s a metaphor!

Attachment 307074

Gotta love the carriage bolts with the flats under the button head, I can get a grip on the bolt and turn it while biting / screwing into the reinforced rubber strap.

Attachment 307075

Warmest thanks for JRTargets .... if you are serious about shooting steel targets... JRTargets is the way to pursue, casual plinking steel targets are available else where but after having worked THREE Meaford Long Range Steel Challenge tournaments, I’ve never seen this system fail.

And we put piles and piles of shooters through the steel challenge without any target down time! If you haven’t made the connection; JRTargets provides all the the steel targets for the Meaford Match!

Now to get out and shoot these with my .308 and .260 rigs!

Cheers,
    Barney

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345