Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My PRS Learning Journey - Share here...

Very cool. What lens does this, would it be the same for all scopes or has to be tailored to each one?

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisward3 View Post
    Was going to pick up the IOTA (Indoor Optical Training Aid) off of Chuck on SnipersHide, but since he is not setup to take payment online (online US cash through the mail), I went out and got my own made for a fraction of the cost. As with the IOTA, this lens fits inside a butler creek cap and brings the focus down to between 10-14 feet (which is 1/3 of the minimum focus I can achieve with my S&B).
    Would you mind sharing how you made yours?

Quote Originally Posted by john@ View Post
    Very cool. What lens does this, would it be the same for all scopes or has to be tailored to each one?
    It used a 1/4 diopter that should work for all scopes

Quote Originally Posted by nbmonte
    Would you mind sharing how you made yours?
    I contacted a local optometrist who took the 1/4 diopter and then reduced the diameter to fit within the scope cap.

Super GunNutz
    It used a 1/4 diopter that should work for all scopes

I contacted a local optometrist who took the 1/4 diopter and then reduced the diameter to fit within the scope cap.
    What lens did you use? I can’t seem to find anything except welding helmet inserts when I search 1/4 diopter.

Quote Originally Posted by nbmonte View Post
    What lens did you use? I can’t seem to find anything except welding helmet inserts when I search 1/4 diopter.
    Call around to a few optometrists in your area and they'll be able to source one for you, as well as properly trim it to fit (while maintaining the optical centre). Mine was $30 all-in and took less than 15mins to make.

Very cool Barney!! I've been playing around with the tripod thing for a few years now with my practical precision/hunting rifle. It's super ergo for that loooonnnng sitting firing position in the field. I'm tryng to organize a 22LR version of PRS in our indoor club but with a twist. I'm hoping to join you out west one day in one of this PRS comps in Canada...right...hopefully at the Connaught ranges...if this thing ever becomes more common...not going to happen for us here in Quebec.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ton45-II View Post
    Very cool Barney!! I've been playing around with the tripod thing for a few years now with my practical precision/hunting rifle. It's super ergo for that loooonnnng sitting firing position in the field. I'm tryng to organize a 22LR version of PRS in our indoor club but with a twist. I'm hoping to join you out west one day in one of this PRS comps in Canada...right...hopefully at the Connaught ranges...if this thing ever becomes more common...not going to happen for us here in Quebec.
    Ton45:

I beg to differ. Google search “PRS Valcartier” and you will discover a very innovative and active PRS competition going on there. Get off yer butt and shoot with the Kahles Tabernak crowd on QC soil. They are a fabulous bunch....

Now back to making my own PRS gear....

One of my clients at Garrison Petawawa suggested making a Card Sidewinder with this wire tying organizer gadget humdinger:

My clients are gonna predict how this acquisition goes at the MEC Barrie store.....

“May I help you today?”

TT: I am looking for the specialty wires needed to make a Sidewinder Data Card holder for my FuLL Auto Sniper General Purpose Machine Gun that I was issued as part of Justin Turdeau’s Close Protection Detail?

I’m sorry but we don’t carry any FULL Auto Machine Gun Parts and Accessories at our Green Living MEC hippie fell good store...”

TT: Oh look! Here they are, exactly what I need for my Anti-piracy deployment on the Gulf of Dhurka-Dhurka....

Hahahaha. Thanks for your help.... Merry Christmas and Happy Harmonica to all!

I always have fun at MEC....

Okay, your PRS experts....how do I make a Sidewinder? Post some pics and get me started....

Cheers, Barney

Quote Originally Posted by ton45-II View Post
    As Barney says, check it out:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1569101-PRS-Style-match-Valcartier-CFB-July-1rst?p=13935696#post13935696

If you are new to longe range, take his clinic at Petawawa.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post

Okay, your PRS experts....how do I make a Sidewinder? Post some pics and get me started....

Cheers, Barney
    Heres my version. Used the gear ties mentioned above...then went to town on a clear/hard-backed ID holder with some gun tape to make it waterproof. Works really well, and I prefer this over the wrist coach/scope cap dope/etc...

Call around to a few optometrists in your area and they'll be able to source one for you, as well as properly trim it to fit (while maintaining the optical centre). Mine was $30 all-in and took less than 15mins to make.
    Just to add to Chris answers about the diopter lens.

What you are shopping for is a +.25 Diopter (blank) lens at your local glasses shop. The material you select will dictate the lens price. Standard plastic lens with no "high tech" coating will run you around 30$ to 50$ going up progressively until you get to a glass lens.

To my knowledge, there are no advantages to get "specialty" lens (or options) over the "standard" plastic.

Once the lens is selected, get it trimmed to the "outside" diameter of your scope, this way, your scope cap will hold the lens in the proper location to maintain the optical center of the lens. Obviously, when you install the lens, the lens curvature must face outwards.

Last detail is to either get the contour of the lens slightly beveled (on both sides) or LIGHTLY file (with an extra fine file) the edges of the lens. This will help prevent chipping the lens if you knock or drop it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast