Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Unimog 406

Unimog 406

I know this is not a firearms topic but those people that know me realize that I enjoy playing with track layers, tractors etc. my latest toy is a 1983 Unimog 406, purchased in the UK I have only had her for a few weeks. She needs a lot of TLC, the previous owners have not been kind to her! She has a straight six diesel Mercedes engine, starts right up, only 1408 hours on her, 85 HP, 20 gear, gear box, 4x4 with diff locks, hydraulics and air, not air conditioning but air assisted brakes. Slowly working through a full service and then fitting her with a 10 ft Anderson Hydralic snow plough. She is not fast or quiet but I like her, going to have some fun with her.

Anyone reading this who has owned one or worked on one I would be interested in exchanging info.

Just after unloading in my yard.

Standing in the rain in the UK before loading.

The first stage of the restoration is complete, all systems are now operational and she has passed her safety. This is the first time she is earning her keep bringing home some firewood ready for winter. We modified a fifth wheel hitch to suit the heavy duty NATO pintle on this truck

Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 10-20-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Added photos

Hey, you finally got it! I know it was a struggle and a test of patience but I'm sure it was worth it. Nothin good comes easy

CGN Regular
    Check your oils. Bad things happen to the gearbox if the wrong oil is used. Tough to work on but extremely capable machines.
    My father in law bought his from Marmot basin. Was one of the units Case imported, probably 70's vintage.
    Have a set of factory manuals around as we had to rebuild the transmission.

There seems to be about 400 different part numbers for the seals in the portals.
    I would measure the old seal before ordering anything based on the year.

Awesome machines, never owned one or been in one even but a local guy out here in BC said it would idle up most obstacles without you even needing to be in it.

you'll be all set for the next snowstorm. I remember the pictures you posted from last winter.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    I know this is not a firearms topic but those people that know me realize that I enjoy playing with track layers, tractors etc. my latest toy is a 1983 Unimog 406, purchased in the UK I have only had her for a few weeks. She needs a lot of TLC, the previous owners have not been kind to her! She has a straight six diesel Mercedes engine, starts right up, only 1408 hours on her, 85 HP, 20 gear, gear box, 4x4 with diff locks, hydraulics and air, not air conditioning but air assisted brakes. Slowly working through a full service and then fitting her with a 10 ft Anderson Hydralic snow plough. She is not fast or quiet but I like her, going to have some fun with her.

Anyone reading this who has owned one or worked on one I would be interested in exchanging info.

I will post a few photos tomorrow if anyone is interested.
    Awesome. Withe the 20 speed cascade gearbox, you will nothave the fast axles, probably a top speed of 82km/h, but you can pull a 188,000lb rail car in double over low
    Your motor should be the OM 352 Mercedes DI diesel. Not the most powerful, but bomb proof. turboed or not?
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Check your oils. Bad things happen to the gearbox if the wrong oil is used. Tough to work on but extremely capable machines.
    My father in law bought his from Marmot basin. Was one of the units Case imported, probably 70's vintage.
    Have a set of factory manuals around as we had to rebuild the transmission.
    Case MB 4/94, I have the beer steins at home commemorating it from Interior Diesel
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

Thanks for all the replies, as I said I am working through a full service and getting her road ready. I am finding lots a annoying little problems as although she has a very low number of hours, sadly she has been neglected. First priority is to have up up and working on a snow blade before winter, then next year I may consider a re-spray job.

I went into town to register her to day and staying true to form even that didn't work out! After 1 1/2 hours the computer refused to accept her entry so it was written out by hand and I have to go back again when they can complete it. It has taken 7 months from purchase in UK to delivery and registration in Canda, I have completed this process with machine guns in less time.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 08-01-2017 at 08:29 PM.

CGN Regular
    Drove one for 15 years on a farm I worked at. A 1968 model with 27,000 original kms on it. Brought over from Germany by the owners, with just about every attachment you could get for it. Nothing makes a better utility farm truck than a Unimog!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast