Thread: Rem 700 bolt timing issue

CGN Regular

Rem 700 bolt timing issue

Hey everyone,

Thought I would post this question here since people on here are probably Remington owners.

https://youtu.be/o626TfR0W00

Please watch the above video. As I slide my bolt forward my lugs roll over and start to cam without any pressure on the bolt. Other Rem 700's I have handled do not do this, so I believe something must be wrong. It makes cycling the bolt slightly more difficult because if the handle is not lifted properly the lug will "lock" the bolt in.

I have no extraction or accuracy issues, the cycling thing is annoying though.

1. Does anyone know what could cause this? Does anyone else have a similar problem?
    2. Does anyone have a possible solution? I do have a Timney 510 trigger installed if that matters.

Action has always done this since I got it. Guy who sold it to me just said "it's a factory action it's not perfect"

Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    This was suggested in your first thread by guntech...
    A Remington 700 bolt has a notch in its rear face. When the handle is lifted, the cocking piece is cammed back. When the cocking piece has been cammed back to full cock, the nose of the cocking piece engages this notch. This locks the cocking piece and bolt sleeve in place when the action is open. It looks as if the cocking piece is slipping out of the notch a bit early. Take the bolt out of the rifle - firing pin will be cocked - and inspect the engagement of the nose of the cocking piece and the notch. If the bolt sleeve and cocking piece can rotate too easily, this might be the cause of what you are seeing.

Was this happening with the factory trigger? I would suggest that you reinstall the factory trigger, and see if the problem persists. If replacing the factory trigger solves the problem, you have the solution.

CGN Regular
    On the advice in the original thread I took the rifle to a local GS. They looked at the suggestion, but said the notch looked fine. I asked them what they thought it could be but they said they had no idea (not helpful and maybe incorrect). They did say they thought there would be no way Remington would have finished the bolt body with such an error. I only have the one GS here so not super helpful and honestly the 2 guys are not great.

The cocking piece is not falling out of the notch because I can raise the bolt handle again with no effort, meaning it is not reseating the cocking piece.

If I had the original trigger I would try it out. I've only ever had this Timney.

I just thought I would ask on here as well as Gravel is the official warranty center and have probably seen more Remington actions than anyone. A unique issue maybe they could offer a different take on.
    Last edited by Jeff_C; 08-04-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Super Moderator
    I suspect a warranty center isn't going to touch a rifle with an aftermarket trigger mechanism...

If you believe something is not right (as it sounds from your description) I eat the cost and ship to guntech when he is taking business. He is the remington guy.
    Never tell me the odds

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    I suspect a warranty center isn't going to touch a rifle with an aftermarket trigger mechanism...
    I guess I never thought of that. You are right.

Super Moderator
    Maybe the Timney doesn't hold the cocking piece back as far as the original trigger. Start to close the bolt, the cocking piece jumps forward to engage the sear, contacting the cocking cam in the process.

CGN Regular
    I've contacted Timney to see what they say.