$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Navy Arms 1916 spanish mauser 7x57mm bolt action fair to good cond. 160.86usd

Super GunNutz
    I ordered two, the first came in today. I would say it is in poor condition. Most of the metal has light rust with pitting in spots. Handguard is cracked and stock is beat up. The bore is worn bad with little rifling left, maybe a 2 out of ten. Missing the cleaning rod.

Hopefully the second one will have a good bore and I can make one shooter out of the pair.

CGN Regular
    No one else got any pics?

https://m.imgur.com/a/UawTX

About 4 hours of cleaning, metal was oiled and hit with fine steel wool twice. The wood was rubbed down with steel wool and then wiped down a few times with a damp rag. The bore isn't bad, minimal pitting in the grooves; the lands are a little loose at the crown end.

I was able to put 20 rounds through it yesterday, no sticky bolt or problems extracting. Only issue is the original follower likes to tip sideways and jam itself, I put a VZ24 follower in it and it's a non issue. Puts 20 rounds in a 12" x 12" target at 100m.

I've ordered a new front and rear band and bolt release, the ones on the rifle are rusty/bent.

Future plan, Cerakote the metal, putty, stain and shellac the stock.

Here's mine, has you will see it's pretty rough. I'll have to make a lot of repair before using it.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/CVPVh

CGN Regular
    Got mine finally. Not too bad shape out of the box. Well packed. Came with a instruction sheet for disassembly / sling / t shirt / decal . I did a detailed cleaning and only found a bit of rust around the mag housing. Bore looks shootable. Bolt does not match. No cleaning rod. Not bad for the money I guess. I may order another. cheers.
    Last edited by johnny the boy; 10-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phils View Post
    Here's mine, has you will see it's pretty rough. I'll have to make a lot of repair before using it.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/CVPVh
    that is nasty. yours looks like the bottom end, if I got one like Yarbo's it wouldn't be too bad a deal.
    CSSA member since 2011. CCFR member since Apr. 2016
    check my Youtube videos out at http://www.youtube.com/user/dakotamar

You get what you pay for, in this case not much. Glad I passed, these are pretty much at the end of their useful lives.

CFSC instructors may find some use from them though... would make a good beater training rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamar View Post
    that is nasty. yours looks like the bottom end, if I got one like Yarbo's it wouldn't be too bad a deal.
    Yup, I started the cleaning process... The worst part is definitely the stock. It's cracked from tip to wrist. Might take a while but I'll try to get it back into shape. I'll post updates (but it'll surely take me a while)

Looks like it was a gamble. Some are ok for the price but others are quite rough.
    This reminds me of the $20 Mosins that Century sold in the early 90s. Listed as poor condition it was hit and miss. I bought one and it ended up being a rare B barrel that I sold awhile back for $300.
    CFSAC 91-93, 95, UNPROFOR 94/95, SFOR 2001

My WTB wish list: Artillery Luger, Arisaka 44, Nambu.

CGN Regular
    Did you guys get a notice when the rifle shipped?