Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie looking to buy 1911

Newbie looking to buy 1911

I recently acquired my RPAL and currently in the market for a 1911 pistol. I've shot around 5-6 times prior to obtaining my license and tried out different pistols in different calibres, 9mm (Glock 19), .40 S&W (HK P226), .45ACP (Colt 1911, Iver johnson 1911, Glock 21). At the end of the day I enjoyed shooting .45ACP in 1911s.

I've currently have my eye set on the Remington 1911 R1. The price on it seems fairly reasonable, big fan of the black oxide finish. I've read some reviews which seemed fairly decent, except for the finish wearing off. Anyways I just wanted to see if anyone has shot one and how their experience was. Also if there are other alternative 1911s that I can consider at this price range (~$700-900 CAD).

Thanks in advance!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Repost this in the Pistol and Revolver forum and you'll get a better response.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Spend just a little bit more and get a sig. You won't regret it every time you use it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Funny, Ted, the only experience I have with 1911s are the original Series 70/80 Colts from the late 80s, and only ones I've owned are the S&W Commander PD and SIG TTT. I really like the SIG, except I could not get over the look of the external extractor ( same for the S&W) so I sold them.
    The Heinie style night sights on the SIG are fantastic though. Wish more guns came stock with those sights rather than the 3-Dot type.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    You can get a new 1911 Norinco, minus the original finish for $225 shipped with no tax, on E.E., now. Inexpensive way to try out a 1911. Never had a Norinco 1911 that disappointed me.

CGN Regular
    I've three 1911s, two are Colts from the 1970s and the third is a Remington R1 Enhanced. The Remington is a great pistol, much better sights than the 40 year old Colts.

CGN Regular
    Personally, I'd stay away from the Remington 1911. One of the least precise guns I've ever shot. It's even kind of a turn off. Especially for a new shooter.

If you really want a 1911, i'd say save a bit more money and get a Colt or a Sig. that's my advise. I have shot many 1911's and the Remington have ALWAYS been a disappointment. Now I have never tried thé Norinco, and I can't speak for it, and I know that some swear by them, but there's something about Chinese pistols that just doesn't appeal to me. Even for less than 300$.

There's actually a beautiful Sig1911 on the EE right now for 1100. So that's not so much off your buddy and a way better gun that the Remington.

Just my 0.02$

I second the comment about the sights. they are great on the r1 enhanced. f/o front sight!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Go for it! The Remmy 1911's are one of their better firearms. They are very smooth for the money and their fit and finish is very decent for the price range. The enhanced version is a nicer gun with a few of the options that you will want to add to the plain vanilla R1 anyway. I had a base-model R1 that shoot extremely well and I ended up adding the beavertail, hammer, safety ...... All said and done, it was a very good shooter that digested every type of ammo I stuffed in it. In a moment of temporary insanity, I sold the pistol. Go ahead and buy a Sig if you want a pistol that you can't get a holster for because the slide is a goofy shape. If you want to get into the price range of a Sig - get a Colt. You won't be disappointed.
    1944 - 18 year old men stormed the beaches of Normandy into almost certain death.
    2021 - 18 year old boys need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.
    2022 - 18 year old boys aren't sure what bathroom to use.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Zedbra's Avatar
    My R1 Enhanced has been an excellent shooter since day one. Never jams, shoots where you line it up, came with Trijicon night sight on the front, Novak on the rear, and Crimson Trace grips. I am very happy with it - I say go for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast