Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie looking to buy 1911

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's encouraging to hear that I'm somewhat in right ballpark going with Remington, but good to hear that there are some other pistols to look at and compare. In particular I'm looking more into the Sig 1911, love the rosewood grips, thanks Salibas007!
    I’ll keep you guys posted to what I end up getting at the end of the day. Right now I still have a bunch of stuff to sort out before I’ll be out shooting at the range (i.e. convincing the wife, getting membership, figuring storage etc.. ) Probably the hardest part is the wife, but that should probably be in another topic haha.

Remington R1, Springfield Armoury, and Rock Island Armoury have all produced solid models of 1911 that are fairly cost efficient. If you want to pay more then I'd suggest Sig Sauer and Ruger.

CGN Regular
    My first gun was a Para 9mm 1911. I have a .45 Kimber now that I like more but I am glad I got the Para first. I think starting out with a 9mm is better because there is less recoil so you have a less chance of developing a flinch, plus the ammo is cheaper so you can shoot more. It was fairly cheap and has a pretty decent trigger and smoothless to it. I did have one small problem with the extractor on mine but it was an easy fix and I am glad it happened because I learned a lot trying to fix it. It's been fine ever since. Wanting your gun to have problems sounds dub but I enjoy the challenge of fixing it and the knowledge I gain from doing so. Almost all of the time the fixes are free or involve a part costing less than $5. If I were to do it again I would get a cheap 9mm norinco.

If you don't mind a little tinkering and polishing, Shooters Arms Manufacturing is good value. And Wolverine Supply does an excellent job of standing behind them. EXCELLENT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12