How many magazines should a newbie start off with?

Alees

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I just recently got my rpal and have ordered my first rifle (tavor). Currently waiting to recieve it. I have searched the site and mostly found people talking about how many magazines for competitions. I know you can never have too many magazines but I am on a budget (paying bills etc.) and would like to save up for some ammunition and an optic. So I was wondering how many magazines do you guys and girls recommend for a beginner and what type.

I currently have or have ordered 18 Mags they are as follows:

4 c products lar
6 okay industries Usgi
2 20rd Pmag m3
3 30rd Pmag m3
2 Lancer
1 that comes with the tavor not sure what it is since I haven't received it yet I believe it's supposed to be an IMI

Thanks,

Anthony

You'll probably want more LARs at some point (personally I just stick with PMAGs; they're superior to Lancers and standard USGI magazines). You'll want to invest in some Magpul L or Ranger plates for the LARs (ensures they don't get dinged up near as much when dropped).

Whoa Nellie! Lots of mags are great for many reasons but if you are on a budget I think you already have more than you need.
I don't know about others but I have yet to see a competition stage that requires more than about 60 rounds. So at most you would need 6 LARs plus perhaps a spare for make-up shots or a tactical reload.

when I started I had three steel ar mags. but now I only shoot occasionally so it does not matter to me anymore

Considering each of those mags only hold 5 rounds really all you need are two or three. The bigger question is can you afford to shoot it. The best price I have seen for 223 is 10 bucks for 20 rounds so a day of shooting say 200 rounds will cost you 100 bucks. Unless you loaded or live at your parents and have lot's of disposable income I think I would have spent the extra money on ammo and not lot's of mags.

2 is 1 and 1 is none.
You need more.

10 pack of LAR mags should do.

I have enough to keep 275 rounds, in mags. I need more too.

I have (at minimum) enough mags to hold 100 rounds of whatever I am shooting that day.....

For my AR that means 10 x 10 round C-Products LAR pistol mags
I have some miscellaneous 5 rounders but usually will take the 10 x 10 pre-loaded and ready to go.

Sadly you can no longer use those pistol mags in your AR.

I have (at minimum) enough mags to hold 100 rounds of whatever I am shooting that day.....

For my AR that means 10 x 10 round C-Products LAR pistol mags
I have some miscellaneous 5 rounders but usually will take the 10 x 10 pre-loaded and ready to go.

I assume your AR is not a pistol, it is a rifle and the RCMP has clarified that you cannot use a pistol magazine in your rifle. The mag is legal in your pistol but the moment you put it in a rifle you are breaking the law.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/bulletins/bus-ent/20110323-72-eng.htm

Please re-read the bulletin;

"Magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a semiautomatic rifle are limited to five cartridges. However, magazines designed to contain centrefire cartridges and designed or manufactured for use in a rifle other than a semiautomatic or automatic rifle, do not have a regulated capacity"

Everywhere in part 3, quoted above, is referencing rifles and magazines designed for rifles.

LAR mags, XCR mags, etc., are designed for pistols. Pistol magazines are covered in part 5.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom