Thread: Good camping spot to shoot and fish on Vancouver island with new regs?

Good camping spot to shoot and fish on Vancouver island with new regs?

Hi All,

I have searched for quite a bit but couldn't find a good answer that is updated since the new regulations and closures came out. This year the wild fires are pretty crazy inland so am planning to find a spot on Vancouver Island that is secluded, crown land, close to a water source (lake, river, etc) that is open to some plinking (provided there's backstop).

I have been looking at the map of the new regulations in Fraser Valley as of April 2017 but I cannot find something quite similar for Vancouver Island. Any advise or recommended spots (PM welcome) will be greatly appreciated. We always allot some time to do cleaning around the spots as most places I have been to seem to be littered with shell casings from previous shooters...

We have 4x4s so gravel, fsr are no problem.

Thanks in advance!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SigWig's Avatar
    http://musicbythesea.ca/wp-content/u...kroads_map.pdf

One section of Van Isl

father and son lake?

Sarita lake

Namint lake

too many options...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer VanIsleCam's Avatar
    OP there are lots of places on the Island that will fit your criteria; however, you will want to have looked into the backroads mapbook (thanks for posting Sig) and do not assume that bridges will all be in operation as they are de-activated at times. In addition to the mapbook, if you have an area in mind, I suggest finding the area on Google earth and checking that out as well. I printed off Google earth pages around the area I wanted to go and although they were out of date (areas logged that I thought would be wooded) it is a lot of fun to explore and update your knowledge of an area.
    Proarm Militant - Variant Factory - Data Shopper - Fringe Minority

Thanks for the reply Sigwig and Vanislecam. These are great suggestions. Nahmint Lake seems like the perfect spot with good vehicle access. Specifically mid west side of the lake or South west side a bit away from the actual campsite. Looks like there is a lot of fallen trees around as well so I can build myself a good backstop if need be (chainsaw ftw). Now to wait till the fireban to lift in late Aug or early Sept.

Is anyone else like me who, when shooting short range like to fence off the shooting area with bright flagging tape in case someone inadvertently walks into the range?

Quote Originally Posted by bleaches View Post
    Thanks for the reply Sigwig and Vanislecam. These are great suggestions. Nahmint Lake seems like the perfect spot with good vehicle access. Specifically mid west side of the lake or South west side a bit away from the actual campsite. Looks like there is a lot of fallen trees around as well so I can build myself a good backstop if need be (chainsaw ftw). Now to wait till the fireban to lift in late Aug or early Sept.

Is anyone else like me who, when shooting short range like to fence off the shooting area with bright flagging tape in case someone inadvertently walks into the range?
    Good stuff - happy to share. No I wouldn't fence it off unless there was a chance of people driving into the range. Otherwise when the rough and ready range is live, everyone is behind the table.

Was out at Nahmint last week, a few good camping spots on the far side of the lake from the main campsite. area is pretty quiet, you won't see much of anybody at all

Quote Originally Posted by Bado20 View Post
    Was out at Nahmint last week, a few good camping spots on the far side of the lake from the main campsite. area is pretty quiet, you won't see much of anybody at all
    Yup - good job mate. That's the way to go. I've got holidays coming up in a month.