Thread: ATT information

ATT information

Hey just a quick question. I am about to purchase my first restricted handgun and I am unsure about the ATT required. I am located in BC.

Here are my questions: Can I purchase a handgun, assuming I have a range membership and take it home? Or do I need to apply for an ATT to be able to take it home? Or do I apply for an ATT after I have purchased it?

Thanks for your responses...

Congrats on your first! First off, if you buy it from a dealer/gun store they will initiate the transfer. Ask them to call you with the transfer number when they have it. Once you have the number call the CFO @ 1-800-731-4000 and follow the instructions for completing a transfer. When you get thru to a rep, ask them to email you the transfer notification!! This will speed up the process. Also ask for the email address to send a copy of your range membership. In the subject line use your transfer number. If you follow these steps, you will get an email copy of your transfer notification, print it out and go pick up your pistol. You will still have to wait a couple of weeks for the registration to be mailed to you before you can take the gun to the range, although this is a grey area, and some will say you can take it with just the transfer notification,,,, your call
    If this is your first restricted, you will receive a new Rpal card in a couple of weeks with your ATT conditions attached. There is no more " paper" ATT to worry about
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    When I've bought restricteds from dealers, I didn't have to contact the CFO at all. You also don't need a short term ATT to transport the firearm from either the business you buy it from, or the post office to your home. You just need your ATT to take it anywhere after that. The only time I've had to confirm a title transfer would have been buying a restricted from another individual, that isn't a licensed firearms dealer.

Also, you do actually still have carry a piece of paper with you. Your RPAL will say "standard and non standard conditions attached", and the paper portion stipulated those conditions. Dumb, but you'll still have to carry around a piece of paper along with your RPAL.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

He should contact the CFO simply because it's his first restricted, and emailing his membership will speed up the process for sure. His other option is to sit in limbo for a month waiting for a snail mail letter from the CFO asking him to confirm his club membership,,,better to be proactive when dealing with the CFO

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edgy View Post
    He should contact the CFO simply because it's his first restricted, and emailing his membership will speed up the process for sure. His other option is to sit in limbo for a month waiting for a snail mail letter from the CFO asking him to confirm his club membership,,,better to be proactive when dealing with the CFO
    You're completely right. I assumed he had already submitted his range info to the CFO, and had his updated RPAL (Still bugs me that I waited so damn long for my card to come in, only to find out that I needed to wait for ANOTHER one if I wanted to actually USE the restricted firearms I planned to purchase).

If that's not the case, you can still take the firearm home with your standard condition RPAL, but you're not authorized to take it ANYWHERE after that. Makes sense right? Lol. Yay Canada gun laws.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Is it possible to apply for an ATT before I have purchased my first restricted?

Thanks for the earlier responses to my questions...

The e-mail address I was supplied with yesterday is: cfpcfounit@rcmp-grc.gc.ca I'm in alberta, but I think the address might be a general one for all provinces and territories.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee Scottie View Post
    Is it possible to apply for an ATT before I have purchased my first restricted?

Thanks for the earlier responses to my questions...
    No, if you have no restricted firearm licenced to you, you would have no reason to have an ATT. Once you buy your first restricted They will send you a new Rpal card with the ATT conditions on the card

Thanks, yes it is the same email address used across Canada.