Thread: first time purchase ideas

first time purchase ideas

So apparently my PAL is on it's way, so I am getting my shopping list together. I haven't fired a rifle in 20 years (old Ljungman semi-automatic rifle Ag m/42B), and no plans for hunting in the immediate future. Mostly range shooting, and will take them camping in the backwoods. I have done a fair bit of research and know what I am after.

For fun and learning to shoot a Remington 597 HB. From what I've seen most of the jam issues were with the older stock magazines, and new steel box clips are pretty good. But I plan on grabbing a couple 30 round clips, which I will probably use at 25 to avoid fails. I like the open when empty empty feature, and I just like the look of the rifle. I also understand that breaking it down for cleaning is a pain with the dual rods. I'm pretty sold on it, but I will see in person if it's good fit for me.

For glass I did alot of reading on the price range that roughly matches the rifles cost, I have settled on nikon. I am a nikon camera guy and have a fair investment in nikon glass, and I have never had any issues(plus I like the Spot On feature). I have a couple budget lenses and couple pro, all are strong after years of mostly outdoor and fairly rough use. The prostaff II 3-9x40 BDC looks like a good fit, and it's under $200. I don't know if I need anymore scope than that, I do like the 3-9x50. However, I don't know how much low light shooting I will be doing for the extra $130. I am going to order it directly from nikons as the prices seem competitive. But the gun and the clips and some ammo I want to get from a certain local retailer that has an upcoming sale. I was going to get a bucket of bullets, but have read that the fail rate is pretty high and people complained about grouping. So I'm thinking a box of 40gr cci and a box of 36gr federals to start with.

The other gun is a bit more of a pain as it is no longer made, Rossi Ranchhand 44 or 45 LC. I won't bother trying to justify it, but in the end it's what I want. I don't like the Henry version ascetically as much and I don't like the tube feed. A local shop has a used chiappa model mares leg that is a similar price as a rossi I've found online, but it has a full stock on it. If I could find an original stock and swap between as I wanted that would be tempting. I haven't looked to see how challenging that would be yet. The rossi I found is in Ont at a dealer, and they will ship. the chiappa is hundreds cheaper than new and the rossi is hundreds more, so they meet in the middle.

I have to see which range I am going to, and then I will probably hire an instructor for my first time out. I would like to start off with a good foundation. I did my course with K&K Firearm Training in Cloverdale, Kent and Stu were both good and Stu does the lessons thing. So I might try set that up.

That's where I'm at, waiting on the mail and a sale.

Ended up getting the mares leg with the full rifle stock and leather hip holster all together from a member here on EE. Very good experience with that deal. The 597 and all my ammo came from wanstalls sale, instore one guy not very helpful, other guy very helpful, on the phone guy very helpful and same for guy in the wharehouse. Still waiting for my extended magazine and rest of my ammo from the sale, looks like it will arrive monday. Overall I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Went to the range yesterday and put 40 rounds through the chiappa and a few hundred through the 597. Not a single fail for the 597 with stock metal 10 round clip, but it's 9 rounds cci 40gr or remington thunder something. 4 duds from the remingtons and none from the 100 cci. I decided to start with iron sights on the 597 because it's been 20 years since I fired a rifle, after the range I can see that I can't mount the front sight far enough from my eyes to focus well on it. I have it as far forward on the rail as possible, but everything is unfocused when aiming, rear/front/target. I was hitting the target where I wanted to, well, in splatter groupings that wouldn't fit under a dinner plate. I am looking at a red dot sight now as an alternative, I still want to get it out in backwoods and see how I use it before going for a scope.

So far I am very happy with my choices

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun&CamShooter View Post

Ended up getting the mares leg with the full rifle stock and leather hip holster all together from a member here on EE. Very good experience with that deal. The 597 and all my ammo came from wanstalls sale, instore one guy not very helpful, other guy very helpful, on the phone guy very helpful and same for guy in the wharehouse. Still waiting for my extended magazine and rest of my ammo from the sale, looks like it will arrive monday. Overall I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Went to the range yesterday and put 40 rounds through the chiappa and a few hundred through the 597. Not a single fail for the 597 with stock metal 10 round clip, but it's 9 rounds cci 40gr or remington thunder something. 4 duds from the remingtons and none from the 100 cci. I decided to start with iron sights on the 597 because it's been 20 years since I fired a rifle, after the range I can see that I can't mount the front sight far enough from my eyes to focus well on it. I have it as far forward on the rail as possible, but everything is unfocused when aiming, rear/front/target. I was hitting the target where I wanted to, well, in splatter groupings that wouldn't fit under a dinner plate. I am looking at a red dot sight now as an alternative, I still want to get it out in backwoods and see how I use it before going for a scope.

So far I am very happy with my choices
    You don't have enough locks on your guns. I am calling the RCMP

But seriously cool guns, have fun

Very nice, those will keep you smiling, congrats!!
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

Thanks. they are both quite fun in their own way, I will probably always transport as in the photos.