Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Dominion 9mm ammunition?

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    We load the ammo in-house

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I'm not a cheerleader. I just go through lots of ammo -far more than most here on CGN- and report on my personal experiences. I mentioned the wartak ammo in post #33 and linked to the thread on it. I bought the first 10K and only then saw the threads about bad ammo. I ended up shooting 20K of it. I personally think that Sterling Cross/Wartak went through some QC issues that they cleared up, just like Canada Ammo has had with their own 9mm ammo. There is no indication that Wartak has "rebranded" to Dominion, at all, so you may as well get that idea out of your head.

Sterling Cross still makes the Wartak 9mm as well as slugs, .223 and .40 and others. Their slugs (Branded as "black goose") are the best I've seen work in my MKA 1919 mag fed shotgun. Their .223 works fine, although I've only gone through about 1000 rounds IIRC. Never tried the .40 as I don't have a .40. My only issue with Wartak is that they box their 9mm in 10 boxes of 200 rounds per case, and a 2000 round case of 9mm is a bit heavy.

I've also used ammo from almost every other commercial reloader in the country. Most works fine, all have some failures. Same as factory ammo. I've had very, very expensive premium factory ammo for hunting rifles be failures,too.

I buy ammo from wherever I can get it the cheapest, assuming that it works. All I can report on are my personal experiences, and as I experience about 200 000 rounds of various ammo shot per year, I get lots of experience.

Thx for the info and Intel on Wartak Gatehouse! And yes, you sure do go through a lot on ammo! Makes me jealous

Wartaks the only ammo that I have ever had a squib, much less several, or any other problems with ...period. And I shoot a fair bit myself. Before I started reloading I shot a fair amount of different factory ammo, lots of the FOC reloads, Xmetal and some Wolf. Never ever had a single issue with any of them. In fact reaaallly liked the FOC and Xmetal as found they worked very well for me in my IPSC and 3 Gun matches! Which I can't afford an ammo problem with! At best a squib would sink my stage and possibly the match. And worse case could potentially do me or others harm!

By way of explanation, a year or so back when Wartak was getting a lot of Squib and QC posts on CGN found Nicole Bullock, who worked for Sterling at the time, the manufacturer of Wartak, was making posts on some of the threads, under her CGN handle, Verywellhidden, seemingly to me 'pretending' to be an avaerage Joe CGN poster, either attacking the negative posts on Wartak, or trying to hipe Sterlings products on CGN. Then a couple other 'new' CGN posters, with 2-4 posts, would chime in and seemingly support her or continue to try and hipe the Sterling products. Think one was Big Kitty and other was KarynS ...maybe?

Think several of the threads are still up under their names, but one BIG one, started by Tenda, initially as a Wartak promo, but quickly turned into a Wartak squib / QC thread, in which Verywellhiden (aka Nicole/Sterling) posted her 'attack' / Wartak defense posts was deleted once it started to get some traction!! In later posts verywelhidden eventually did 'come out' as Nicole from Sterling. Found her and above noted two others earlier posts on CGN very sneaky and IMHO they seemed intended to try and manipulate us. After this I just didn't trust them and their ammo. And at the time recalled you had made numerous posts with your 10,000 Wartak round count experience.

Thx again for the clarification Gatehouse and my apologies for bringing your name up. You've always been a stand up CGN'er and have always enjoyed reading your posts and knowledge!!

Edit to add: emmystar was another one of those 'new' 2 post CGN handles that appeared to be Wartak \ Sterling alias's.
    Last edited by Northaways; 08-27-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    "For me, the action is the juice."

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    We load the ammo in-house
    Good to know. Thank you!
    "For me, the action is the juice."

Quote Originally Posted by greg11 View Post
    Anyone else having trouble with out of spec Dominion 9mm?
    First - I've had two squibb loads.

Second - I'm having one or two PER MAGAZINE fail to chamber. Bullet gets stuck in the barrel, and I have to press the front of the slide on a piece of 2x4 to get the case to eject from the chamber. Last time, the bullet got stuck in the barrel when the brass ejected, and I got powder all inside my gun everywhere.

I've only fired 75 rounds out of my 1000 round box.
    I don't feel confident that things are going to get much better the more I shoot.

I've now replicated the failure to chamber problem in three guns. Glock 19, SD9VE and CZ SP-01 Tactical. Very disappointed with this ammunition.
    I've had a similar experience

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Just an update-

Since my last post, I've gone through several thousand more of this 9mm ammo with no problems whatsoever. No duds, squibs, fail to chamber, feeding issues or anything else. Fired mostly in 2 CZ Shadow II pistols, 2 Beretta CX4 carbines and one Beretta 92

I've ordered another 10 000 rounds. Seems like their QC is bang on now. Now, I can't wait for their .223 ammo to be offered. We live in exciting times.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Thought I would update this...

Just got through the last 10 000 rounds.

Of the 10 000, one primer took two hits. That's it that's all.

Good ammo,looking forward to CA .223 and 7.62x39 offerings when they get that up and running.

And damn I hope they bulk pack that too, no 20 round boxes. I love opening the CA 9mm cardboard boxes and just dumping them into an ammo can

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I'm not a cheerleader. I just go through lots of ammo -far more than most here on CGN- and report on my personal experiences. I mentioned the wartak ammo in post #33 and linked to the thread on it. I bought the first 10K and only then saw the threads about bad ammo. I ended up shooting 20K of it. I personally think that Sterling Cross/Wartak went through some QC issues that they cleared up, just like Canada Ammo has had with their own 9mm ammo. There is no indication that Wartak has "rebranded" to Dominion, at all, so you may as well get that idea out of your head.

Sterling Cross still makes the Wartak 9mm as well as slugs, .223 and .40 and others. Their slugs (Branded as "black goose") are the best I've seen work in my MKA 1919 mag fed shotgun. Their .223 works fine, although I've only gone through about 1000 rounds IIRC. Never tried the .40 as I don't have a .40. My only issue with Wartak is that they box their 9mm in 10 boxes of 200 rounds per case, and a 2000 round case of 9mm is a bit heavy.

I've also used ammo from almost every other commercial reloader in the country. Most works fine, all have some failures. Same as factory ammo. I've had very, very expensive premium factory ammo for hunting rifles be failures,too.

I buy ammo from wherever I can get it the cheapest, assuming that it works. All I can report on are my personal experiences, and as I experience about 200 000 rounds of various ammo shot per year, I get lots of experience.
    Wow, 200,000 rounds a year...you must have a good job

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney47 View Post
    200000 / 365 = 547.94 rounds per day. Considering the loading, shooting, gun care, rebarelling, parts aquisition,... It is either a full time job or this given number may be taken from a fairy tale book.

do you maintain your firearms properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Gmoney47 View Post
    It's pretty good. Better than a "real" job I always say!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast