Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 semi accuracy comparison.

Jerry said 3 rifles only or it will simply take too long to do proper load development and testing for each rifle.

If you are willing to donate a rifle please continue to offer and we'll go with the three Jerry picks which will be one Modern Hunter, one BCL102, and one AR-10.
    If losing your rifle from late September through till later November maybe early December is a problem for you don't worry about it as we already have 3 suitable volunteer rifles. If someone with the same rifle lives closer to Jerry that would reduce shipping costs and increase ammo budget so...
    Last edited by cr5; 08-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

CGN Regular
    Willing to lend an XCR-M that had been accurized by Wolverine (i.e. it has the new gas system) if anybody's interested... Has both heavy and light barrel profiles, both 18.5".

Though I expect it won't win this contest at all as it's a piston rifle, not direct gas impingement .

I'll add $20 to the fund.
    With guns...we are citizens.
    Without guns...we are subjects.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." H. L. Mencken

I am in for $25. Please let me know when payment can be made. This is a great idea. Thank you for putting something like this together.

You can put me down for $25!
    |CCFR|

I'd consider contributing one of my MR308's for a while. I'd like to see the 16" SR25 and the 16.5" MR308A3-28 go head to head. But I think Jerry has enough on his plate here already with 4 rifles.
    CCFR-CSSA-NFA-NRA

Supporting Dealer
    Thanks for all the emails and PM offering support and rifles for this test. It is so awesome to see the community rally behind this project.

I have no problem expanding and extending the test but we need to get the first 3 to 4 rifles financed so we can get this going. I believe we have enough financial commitments to do 1 or 2 rifles but not enough to do the whole test.

If anyone lives near Summerland, BC and can drop off the rifle, that would save roughly $100 which can then go to finance components. If there is someone near me that needs reloading powder, we can save costs by putting in a large order with Higginson.

The lower the cost of stuff, the more testing we can finance.

I have also not heard any feedback on projectiles you guys are likely to reload with. Not a biggie as I can start with a Sierra or whatever and see how things go.

WRT to timing, the first rifles will take the longest as I will need to figure out what these rifles want to eat. Once that is done, it will be much faster to get a rifle sorted out. For the first go round, I would expect 4 to 6 wks as a min... pending weather. From there, it could be 2 to 3 wks... pending weather.

The goal is to compare a good assortment of NR semi 308's... there are some that obviously will not group well.. but with some tuning, it might surprise us.

So we start with the 3 or 4... and go from there.

Thanks

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    For projectiles: 175 SMK, 175gr AMAX and similar.

Thanks Jerry.

For rifle selection I'll continue adding names of everyone who volunteers one to the first post and when the time is right you can just pick the ones you want to shoot.
    Let me know if you want to set a cutoff date for this. So you can get them shipped to you and get started, weather permitting before the snow hits.
    Donation total will need to be high enough on that date or we may hit our first speed bump.

I personally use mostly Hornady projectiles for my rifle reloading so I like seeing their projectiles tested

For everyone else following along I'd like to remind you that at the end of the testing if there is load data included in the data we get from Jerry that even though that load worked well in that rifle does not mean it will work well in your rifle even if you have the same model, every barrel is a little different. This will become evident when at the end of the testing each rifle will most likely have a different favorite load than the other two or three rifles.
    Please start with a slightly reduced charge and work up carefully watching for pressure signs and of course your accuracy node
    The results shared should get you very close though so it will be great information for anyone with one of the rifles tested.
    You are responsible for your own safety.
    Last edited by cr5; 08-25-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

155 amax please! I could go grab a box and ship em out instead of my 40 bones if that helps at all. My MH loves them (or I shoot better when I shoot them, not sure, I'm not exactly a pro)