Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 semi accuracy comparison.

I've been reading through the 102 reliability thread in the MBR section and after hearing that there are some 102's out there that seem to be a lot more sensitive to ammo than some others I'd like to suggest that whichever rifle is selected for this test that the owner already has a couple hundred rounds through it and it has proven to be reliable with most types of ammo. I would hate to get it to Jerry and have him struggling with cycling issues rather than concentrating on load development and accuracy testing.
    Don't be so sensitive snowflake, words can't hurt you.
    "Facts don't care about your feelings" Ben Shapiro
    If it's on the muzzle it's a brake NOT a break

By the power vested in me as God of my world.

I'm in for 20$. I don't have a .308 semi anymore but damn this 102 has me getting itchy for one.
    Pretty exciting to see this test moving forward. Big thanks to cr5 and Jerry for getting this moving! I can see myself as a future customer of Mystic Precision.

Hello Jerry, please test some hornady eld-x bullets and/or berger hunting bullets. I have a 102 on the 2nd pre-order, so if you don't have that base covered yet, I can send mine. I'll emt over $40 later this week.

Thanks for doing this!

I know that it is a battle of MH vs 102 vs AR10, but it would be nice if this could be extended to all NR rifles in an all-out battle for which shoots the best, or which can be loaded/tuned to shoot the best out of all NR rifles available to Canadians. Tuned and trued norinco's, springfield loaded/match/whatever, and yes, the FNAR. That way, those of us that are into really accurate guns, know which ones will suit our needs out of all of the NR options.

It would be interesting because the recoil systems are different. As you noted, developing the right load for a semi is more involved than developing one for a bolt gun, so it would be nice to see how picky all of the various NR systems can be when 'slugging' it out.

Just my $0.02

Awesome project!! Thanks for putting it together!!

Quote Originally Posted by Horse96 View Post
    Hello Jerry, please test some hornady eld-x bullets and/or berger hunting bullets. I have a 102 on the 2nd pre-order, so if you don't have that base covered yet, I can send mine. I'll emt over $40 later this week.

Thanks for doing this!

I know that it is a battle of MH vs 102 vs AR10, but it would be nice if this could be extended to all NR rifles in an all-out battle for which shoots the best, or which can be loaded/tuned to shoot the best out of all NR rifles available to Canadians. Tuned and trued norinco's, springfield loaded/match/whatever, and yes, the FNAR. That way, those of us that are into really accurate guns, know which ones will suit our needs out of all of the NR options.

It would be interesting because the recoil systems are different. As you noted, developing the right load for a semi is more involved than developing one for a bolt gun, so it would be nice to see how picky all of the various NR systems can be when 'slugging' it out.

Just my $0.02

Awesome project!! Thanks for putting it together!!
    Due to the time required to develop a good load and how much it would cost for the ammunition for each rifle we're going to keep the testing to three rifles this year, if things go well and Jerry is up to it we may ask him to do it again next summer or fall with another batch of rifles.
    I know what you're saying and I'd love to see that as well but it's simply not in the cards for this test. Fortunately most of the other non restricted options have been available for long enough now that we do have a pretty good idea what they can do even though I'm sure they could do a little better in Jerry's hands.
    Thanks for your donation, I'll update the list later today.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell View Post
    KAC is out, they have other ar10 options ready to run, better to stick with 5/8" for everything so shims and crush washers/peel washers are all the same size for timing the brakes.

we have mikes ar10g2 from dpms up there that is more in the ballpark price wise anyway, either way i am glad to see this proceeding and am very interested in a no holds barred honest evaluation of the bcl102 and the MH.

so much bravada has been put forward, let the games begin
    The brake I have uses a jam nut. No crush washers needed.
    "From My Cold, Dead Hands." - Charlton Heston

Expried Business Member
    Sounds like a good idea!

I have a bunch of 308 168 SMK and 168 Hornady BTHP I could toss in the pot (2-300 of each), or a $200 cash donation if that's preferred.

Heck, I'd even be willing to send out one of my HB GI kit builds for the test..... with a NM SEI navy brake installed.

John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    I'll kick in 20.00 can I bank transfer it to Jerry's business account?

Quote Originally Posted by m14medic.ca View Post
    Sounds like a good idea!

I have a bunch of 308 168 SMK and 168 Hornady BTHP I could toss in the pot (2-300 of each), or a $200 cash donation if that's preferred.

Heck, I'd even be willing to send out one of my HB GI kit builds for the test..... with a NM SEI navy brake installed.

John
    Thanks John, I think we are going with cash over components since Jerry gets them cheaper than most of us can and so that all components will be from the same lot.

If we do this again with M-14 pattern rifles I'd love to put my M305 up against your rifle and see how they compare. I bought a build from a guy on here with a Kreiger barrel and a pile of other work done and in a Blackfeather chassis. I haven't started any load testing yet but I have high hopes for it.
    We could also organize a get together next summer at say an M-14 clinic and have everyone show up with their best load but limit it to a single projectile weight and then take turns shooting each others rifles and see what the average group size is for each rifle across all shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    I'll kick in 20.00 can I bank transfer it to Jerry's business account?
    We'll post how to make payment soon, I'm leaving it with Jerry as I have nothing to do with the money other than recording who and how much and adding up the total so far.
    Last edited by cr5; 08-27-2017 at 04:00 PM.

BANNED
    i think testing an m14 unless it was 100% stock would be kind of useless, so many upgrades so much accurizing.... if it was a stock norinco vs springfield loaded vs james river armory, that would be interesting.

to me this whole thing should be about "factory" rifles and what the true potential of the platform is in stock form using proper reloading techniques.... would also love to see kac vs lmt vs daniel defense in the ar10 category.
    Last edited by TinkerBell; 08-27-2017 at 10:20 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Horse96 View Post
    Hello Jerry, please test some hornady eld-x bullets and/or berger hunting bullets.
    I'll second the request for including hunting bullets in this test.