Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: 308 semi accuracy comparison.

BANNED
    emt sent

CGN Regular
    My rifle's on its way to the Okanagan.

Supporting Dealer
    McWilly, thanks

A 2nd BCL is also coming out to me.... looks like the BCL's will be the first to get tested.

Powder arrived yesterday so that is perfect timing. Now we need more rain and the fires to subside so the range can get opened up.

But I can start figuring out the chambers and best fit for the brass. Stay tuned...

Jerry

Check out my Facebook page... Mystic Precision Inc

Email me at mysticprecision@gmail.com or PM

Supporting Dealer
    Name:  IMG_1314.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  91.3 KB

Shout out to TinkerBell for the 8 boxes of GM donated. Thanks

Jerry

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    I'm in.

I don't spend big $ on bullets, because I'm not doing the sort of shooting where it's going to make a difference.

I'm happy to see the bulk 150Gr FMJBT Hornady being used, as I have those and plan to use them when I get my 102

I'm not asking them to be considered, but I also plan to try the Cam Pro offering, since I bought them before reading negative reviews of them....

I'll probably even try some of the x39 pulldowns that I resized for .300AAC, just for giggles
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Precision View Post

Shout out to TinkerBell for the 8 boxes of GM donated. Thanks

Jerry
    Tink is a rock star! Nice

CGN Regular
    Jerry just an FYI the 178gr GMM sierra matchking performed terribly in my 102. 3-4" plus 5 round groups. Granted I only fired two groups as I was so disappointed with that round. 168gr GMM was a totally different story.

Hornady American Gunner 155gr BTHP and AE 150gr FMJBT were more accurate than the 178's.

168 SMK is useless in shorter semi auto. The regular ( 2650ish out of a 25" barrel) velocity is too low and it gets close to the transonic zone too early. Out of a 16" and 18", it is a lame duck 2350 to 2450 fps. 168 SMK is horrible when it gets near the transonic zone, and you can see that by plotting the velocity to distance. Don't waste time with this unless it is only used at 300m max.

The only thing useful in 16" to 18" is 178 gr SMK. It may be slow, but it is stable at lower velocity.

Another good candidate is Hornaday's 168gr ELD, faster and less wind deflection than 178gr SMK without the issue of 168gr SMK.

In my mind, with all the expenses to test all these shorter barrelled semi autos, the bench marks should be:

1) 178 gr SMK or similar ( US M118 LR that is used in SASS, it is THE standard )

2) 168 gr Hornaday ELD ( idesigned for semi, higher velocity than 17X without the dreaded crappy near transonic issue of 168 gr SMK)

3) 155gr ( just to see how lighter bullets do, must be hot loaded to be useful in shorter semi)

If the bullet cannot defeat a 5.56 shooting 77gr SMK at 600m in both accuracy and wind deflection by a good margin, there is no point of doing all these.
    Last edited by greentips; 09-13-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I'm in.

I don't spend big $ on bullets, because I'm not doing the sort of shooting where it's going to make a difference.

I'm happy to see the bulk 150Gr FMJBT Hornady being used, as I have those and plan to use them when I get my 102

I'm not asking them to be considered, but I also plan to try the Cam Pro offering, since I bought them before reading negative reviews of them....

I'll probably even try some of the x39 pulldowns that I resized for .300AAC, just for giggles
    I am only going to focus on bullets with good accuracy potential.

Thanks for you donation.

Jerry

Supporting Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by Markit View Post
    Jerry just an FYI the 178gr GMM sierra matchking performed terribly in my 102. 3-4" plus 5 round groups. Granted I only fired two groups as I was so disappointed with that round. 168gr GMM was a totally different story.

Hornady American Gunner 155gr BTHP and AE 150gr FMJBT were more accurate than the 178's.
    Thanks for the info. Seems to be others reporting good results so it will be interesting to see how "mine" work out.

Jerry