Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Firearm Legal Defence - What Does It Cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    No it’s not.
    Purchased my policy today.
    "In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

When you say say any Canadian Firearm Association does that include Range Memberships?
    People with guns are telling us we cant have guns........ Somthing just doesn't feel right here!

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    When you say say any Canadian Firearm Association does that include Range Memberships?
    Depends on whether or not we’ve been able to make an arrangement with that range. More often then not the answer is yes and if not we tend to reach out to the range.

Normally bring a member of a range makes you a member of a firearms organization by default.

i just bought a policy. This is a must have!

I have a legitimate question for you Capri, couldn't having insurance for breaking the law just give the crown evidence or ammunition that you knowingly or potentially intended to break the law? Or at the very least you were prepared to do so? Most insurance is void if a crime is committed.

Ie: you know its illegal to store your gun in a way against the storage laws, but you do so anyway because you have insurance?
    Or if you had insurance in case you had to shoot an intruder, wouldnt that be plausible for a lawyer to convince a jury that you were prepared to shoot someone? Not simply defend yourself. It would be pretty easy for a lawyer to suggest you were just waiting for that bump in the night.

I suppose my question could be aimed at any Legal defence "insurance" plan.
    Last edited by janesy; 01-01-2018 at 09:04 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janesy View Post
    I have a legitimate question for you Capri, couldn't having insurance for breaking the law just give the crown evidence or ammunition that you knowingly or potentially intended to break the law? Or at the very least you were prepared to do so? Most insurance is void if a crime is committed.
    The policy states (I have read it several times due to my own questions I posed here on CGN) that the policy's intent is to protect you from charges stemming from improper interpretation of the laws, in it's most basic explanation. I gave the example in my questions of the policy holder, the "insured", being charged with using 10 round .233REM/5.56 LAR magazines in a ATRS Modern Varmint. Another example could be the insured has just come home from the range, is cleaning their firearms, and a neighbor see this through the window so they call the police resulting in improper storage charges. Another might be transporting a non-restricted .303 Lee Enfield unloaded under a blanket in the back of your SUV and being charged with improper transportation. All of these cases the charges are based on rules that state the charges should not be laid, but these things have happened in the past. What other charges the underwriter (one who pays out the lawyers) decides to cover, I have been assured by Zach at Capri, becomes the discretion of the lawyer appointed to you (in short, basically).

The policy states that should the firearms related charges be due to the act of committing another crime, such as kidnapping or the like, the policy is basically null and void.

For the shortest answer: the policy is there to protect you from illegal RCMP interpretation and/or the RCMP trying to severely punish you for the most minor of 'paper crimes' and your own poor interpretations of the laws that results in no other crime being committed.

These are my own opinions only and should be confirmed with Capri...
    Last edited by Aniest; 01-01-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: forgot a very important word "LAR"
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    The policy states (I have read it several times due to my own questions I posed here on CGN) that the policy's intent is to protect you from charges stemming from improper interpretation of the laws, in it's most basic explanation. I gave the example in my questions of the policy holder, the "insured", being charged with using 10 round .233REM/5.56 in a ATRS Modern Varmint. Another example could be the insured has just come home from the range, is cleaning their firearms, and a neighbor see this through the window so they call the police resulting in improper storage charges. Another might be transporting a non-restricted .303 Lee Enfield unloaded under a blanket in the back of your SUV and being charged with improper transportation. All of these cases the charges are based on rules that state the charges should not be laid, but these things have happened in the past. What other charges the underwriter (one who pays out the lawyers) decides to cover, I have been assured by Zach at Capri, becomes the discretion of the lawyer appointed to you (in short, basically).

The policy states that should the firearms related charges be due to the act of committing another crime, such as kidnapping or the like, the policy is basically null and void.

For the shortest answer: the policy is there to protect you from illegal RCMP interpretation and/or the RCMP trying to severely punish you for the most minor of 'paper crimes' and your own poor interpretations of the laws that results in no other crime being committed.

These are my own opinions only and should be confirmed with Capri...
    Really couldn’t have said it much better myself. To summarize, the policy protects gun owners who follow the law and get charged anyways.

Interesting. I was readong it from a different angle I guess.
    Thanks for the answers. Sorry if they were posted elsewhere, i didnt look to hard

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janesy View Post
    Interesting. I was readong it from a different angle I guess.
    Thanks for the answers. Sorry if they were posted elsewhere, i didnt look to hard
    No problem at all. Have a look at our website if you want to read about some of the claims we’ve covered. It will give you a good idea of what the policy may protect you from.

Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    No problem at all. Have a look at our website if you want to read about some of the claims we’ve covered. It will give you a good idea of what the policy may protect you from.
    I will do that, thank you

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast