Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RPAL, I was told references will not be called?

Im from Alberta, checked no to all boxes. Lady on the phone said they randomly choose whose references to call (Im assuming if you dont have any red flags)

Thanks for your replies guys.

Called them again today to gain some clarity.

Spoke with two people who were very nice.

The first lady told me that my references wont have to call in, my application has already been passed to the CFO for final approval.
    She told me they used call the references from there (Miramichi), but now they only do the paper work (?)

She seemed a bit confused, and told me she doesn't know who actually calls to check references nowadays.

Another lady who seemed more "on the ball" told me that if it is has been passed on to the CFO in your province for final approval (which it has), then there is no need for the references to call in since the application is at the final step. My references will only be called should any red flags pop up during the background check she said.

I'm simply going to wait a few weeks and see what happens.
    Thankfully I have my PAL, shotgun is ready to go and Grouse opener is tomorrow! Should keep me busy

Will let you know what happens, again thank you.

CGN frequent flyer
    They called one of my reference for my rpal , I had no previous licence

Within the last year, in Alberta ... they called one of my refs & not my spouse on a PAL to RPAL upgrade, did not call any including spouse on my daughter's first time RPAL. Call to my ref went like this "Do you know of any reason he shouldn't have a handgun?" "uh, no..." "OK thanks" clik
    Funding the "Bank of Dad" for over 30 years.

former Yukoner, and damn proud of it. Currently in central BC
    How wildly different ar the wait times? Do they fluctuate a lot? I am taking my RPAL next week and sending in the info as soon as the ink is dry on my course Cert. I have had my PAL since the inception and had an FAC since I was a teen.
    I'm in central BC if that matters.

Okay update.

My RPAL has been issued and is now in the mail.
    No references called (nor my wife).
    Same story for my wife, her references weren't called either nor was I.

Pretty happy with the wait time to be honest. I had assumed it would be longer with hunting season around the corner.
    We sent in our RPAL applications on July 27, and now they have been issued. My wife has already received hers in the mail.

CGN Regular
    First time applicant, PAL and RPAL, application received by them August 18, payment processed September 19th, the PAL/RPAL was 'issued' September 26th according to the nice lady that I spoke to this morning, but it's still somewhere between a government desk and my mailbox as of today. Neither my references nor my wife were called.

CGN frequent flyer rockport guy's Avatar
    I know they called one of mine... forget if they called the wife... I try not to talk to her myself.
    CCFR CSSA CPC

Same for me....no references called when upgrading to RPAL. And it was really quick once they got the paperwork. On a similar topic, they did call when my two sons applied for minors licenses. They spoke with me and were very thorough with questions. Asking about schooling and friends and social life etc. I'm actually quite impressed with how the CFO has been to deal with. No complaints from me at all.

Interesting, in Ontario all of my references were called and it was a 10 -15 min phone call according to my references.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast