Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPAL, I was told references will not be called?

RPAL, I was told references will not be called?

Hey guys.

A little bit confused, maybe someone can help me out.

Got my PAL a year ago, and went for my RPAL July 23 this year. Sent in the application the next day.

It showed up on the website about 10 days ago. The cheque for the fee was cashed as well.

I called today to have my references call in to save some time.
    To my surprise, the lady simply told me that my references will not be called, so there is no need for them to call in.

She told me the application was sitting with the Manitoba CFO, who will do a background check and issue the license.
    I was under the impression that the references were always called for RPAL?

Has anyone else been in this situation?
    In the sticky NEWBIE FAQ it says references are always called for RPAL.
    Thanks guys..

Yeah, had that happen to my buddy around this time last summer,

His PAL lapsed completely for several years, and when he re-applied and added RPAL, RCMP just accepted his application and his cash, no calls needed.

Regards

Okay thanks!
    Good to know it's not just me.

Neither my wife or I had any references called. We did our pal and rpal at the same time about two years ago in Ontario.

No calls were made when I upgraded to an rpal. Does it matter to you that they won't be called?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrowe View Post
    Neither my wife or I had any references called. We did our pal and rpal at the same time about two years ago in Ontario.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by laker415 View Post
    No calls were made when I upgraded to an rpal. Does it matter to you that they won't be called?
    No, not at all!

I simply wanted to make sure that the application didn't get stalled at the reference part for months, since they wont be calling in.
    I was just confused since in the sticky it said they are always called regarding RPAL.

Apparently that is not entirely true

When I got my RPAL a few years ago, I called them to check the progress. They said that it was approved and in the mail. I was a little surprised because my references hadn't been called. I mentioned this and they were also surprised. They were both called the next day.

It probably depends on the CFO of your province of residence. When I filed for my RPAL, after having had a PAL from the program inception, all my references were called. My spouse was not contacted though... I live in Alberta.

Interesting.

I will try and get a hold of the CFO in Manitoba.
    I spoke with them last year when applying for my PAL, they were very helpful.
    One somewhat stupid question, who actually calls the references? Is it the CFO or the people at that call center at the 1-800 number?

The impression the lady on the phone gave me was that it had been passed on from them to the CFO who would just do the background check.
    Thank you so much everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast