Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ATT when buying a handgun from a gun shop?

ATT restrictions/conditions are now attached electronically to your RPAL.

ATT is automatically produced when first restricted transfer is initiated and executed.

Things have changed since 2015 I think.

No Short Term ATT for that stuff any longer. Much better system.....lots left to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Inno View Post
    I was talking to a CFO about that slip of paper... According to her you actually dont need to carry that slip of paper (???? it says on the paper right?). When I challenged her on that, she stated that it was "attached" to my RPAL and that the slip can be left at home as more of a records sake thing.

I am confused.
    No you talked to a secretary working at a call center.

The law says otherwise. Don't think so? Call them back and ask for it in writing and see what they say.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post

ATT is automatically produced when first restricted transfer is initiated and executed.

No Short Term ATT for that stuff any longer. Much better system.....lots left to improve.

Do they still send you a new license and paper that shows the new conditions once you make that first restricted transfer???

Quote Originally Posted by cns187 View Post
    Do they still send you a new license and paper that shows the new conditions once you make that first restricted transfer???
    ditto. I am confused as hell. Just bought my first restricted and am waiting for the transfer to be completed. I was told once it is completed it will ship and I can just pick up the handgun at the post office with my transfer papers. Do I still need to call the CFO after I receive the gun before I bring it to the range? The part after picking up from the post office is what I am most confused about.

Quote Originally Posted by bleaches View Post
    ditto. I am confused as hell. Just bought my first restricted and am waiting for the transfer to be completed. I was told once it is completed it will ship and I can just pick up the handgun at the post office with my transfer papers. Do I still need to call the CFO after I receive the gun before I bring it to the range? The part after picking up from the post office is what I am most confused about.
    No you do not need to call the CFO once you have the pistol. However, this is where you will get different opinions on what happens next. In about two weeks after you pick up the gun you will receive the registration for the gun in the mail, you are not supposed to take the gun anywhere until you have the registration in your possession, however,,, many people say once the transfer notification you CAN take the gun to the range because it is in your name. This is a grey area, and it's up to you what you do, I personally wait until I have the registration, but I know a few buddies who will take their new firearm with just the transfer notification,,, your call on that
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scout_289's Avatar
    Welcome to Canada Rasquit!!

I found your real life comparison of a sampling of gun laws from Sweden and Canada a very interesting read. Thank you for posting it and feel free to do so whenever something else that we do or don't do here catches your eye.

We are in a constant battle here to hold the line against new regulations and push back against many of the ones that are on the books right now that don't make any sense at all. International examples may provide some clues as to what to do and how to do it.

cheers
    Let's follow the USA example: https://project2025.afsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Toolkit_Safe_Firearm_Storage_CLEARED_508_2-24-20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CHIA View Post

If you believe some posters, nothing changed in 2015 because the CPC did nothing for us.

The new LTATT / STATT is admittedly confusing but it was an attempt to streamline the process and to acknowledge that once your got your RPAL you should be automatically authorized to transport "restricted firearms. Seems pretty obvious to anyone but a Liberal.
    Let's follow the USA example: https://project2025.afsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Toolkit_Safe_Firearm_Storage_CLEARED_508_2-24-20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by bleaches View Post

The way I understand it is that the firearm is covered by the gun shop's ATT such that you can take it home or the post office can deliver it to your door. After that you legally have to wait for the registration certificate to take it to the range etc., at least that's the way I read my paper LTATT.

So I called the store I bought my gun from and it seems like they take care of everything from transfer to registration. I literally just sit back and wait for approval and arrival of my gun. This is great.

Went to pick up a pistol and they asked me if I have the att for the pistol I bought. Never picked up a pistol in store before so I said no and they told me it should be in my email. I guess I’ll wait till Monday and call the cfo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast