Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATT when buying a handgun from a gun shop?

ATT when buying a handgun from a gun shop?

In the Newbie FAQ it says you do need an ATT when buying restricted, but how does it work?

Do you buy the gun, and then the store applies for an ATT and you go pick up your firearm once the ATT is ready?

The instructor for the RPAL explained that there have been recent changes to simply the ATT-procedure recently (our course material was outdated).
    He explained that you no longer need ATT for going to and from your range for instance, and that everything is a lot easier now.

Also if you buy a gun online, do you need an ATT to transport it home from the post office?

Thanks, sorry for spamming your board I did go through the Newbie FAQ.
    The instructor was running late and kinda just breezed through the ATT part.

What do the conditions on your PAL say?

There lie the answers you seek.

Shawn

Don't need an ATT to go get your gun from the gun store or post office, IF you have the conditions attached to your license.

Like Shawn said, look at that piece of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    What do the conditions on your PAL say?

There lie the answers you seek.

Shawn
    I don't have my RPAL yet, it's with the CFO for final approval.
    I only have my normal PAL, conditions only say I need to inform CFO within 30 days if I move or change my name.

Sorry should have been more clear.

Okay, thank you for clearing that up for me!👍

What your instructor said is correct, if you are a member of a shooting club, you don't need ATT when going back and forth to the club. Your member card is enough. When you physically buy a gun from a store, the latter will apply for ownership transfer ( from the Store to yourself). Once you receive the document saying that you are the new owner, only then you can go to pick up your gun and take it back home. However you cannot take it to the range ( your club) until you get the gun registration papers.

When you buy a firearm online, the seller ( be it an individual like a CGNer, or a store) cannot ship the gun until they receive the ownership transfer doc clearly stating that the gun is not theirs anymore, You can go and pick up your gun from the post office with the same doc mentioned above ( transfer of ownership) once you receive it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasquit View Post
    I don't have my RPAL yet, it's with the CFO for final approval.
    I only have my normal PAL, conditions only say I need to inform CFO within 30 days if I move or change my name.

Sorry should have been more clear.
    No worries

Once you receive you RPAL it will be attached to a piece of paper that will list all the conditions attached to your license. It will spell out for you exactly what you can do under that license. You instructor was also wrong ATTs have gone no where, that piece of paper that your RPAL comes on is your ATT now and you must carry it. It is also only valid in your province of residence, so you can not use it to leave your province.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/

Read it, learn it, love it

Remember what your instructor said is not law, what the RCMP site says is not law and a good 70% of what people say on CGN is not even close to what the law is. The link I posted above is the law.

Shawn
    Last edited by shawn; 09-08-2017 at 12:02 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_T's Avatar
    Until such time as you purchase your first Restricted your Conditions sheet with your new RPAL will not have any Special Conditions ATT on it, it will have the same Standard Conditions as your PAL.

Once you purchase a Restricted (and provide details of your Gun Club membership to the CFO - except in Ontario where it is not required), then you should be sent a new RPAL card and a new Conditions sheet with the Special Conditions ATT information on it.

At least that is how it was for me.....
    "No matter where you go - there you are"

No worries

Once you receive you RPAL it will be attached to a piece of paper that will list all the conditions attached to your license. It will spell out for you exactly what you can do under that license. You instructor was also wrong ATTs have gone no where, that piece of paper that your RPAL comes on is your ATT now and you must carry it. It is also only valid in your province of residence, so you can not use it to leave your province.

Remember what your instructor said is not law, what the RCMP site says is not law and a good 70% of what people say on CGN is not even close to what the law is. The link I posted above is the law.

Shawn
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, I really appreciate it.
    I am a Swede and I have only lived in Canada for about two years since I moved my business over here.

Since I am not a citizen yet, I have to be extra careful since any firearms related infraction will most likely get me deported (which I am sure my Canadian wife and kids wouldn't find all that great).

The Canadian firearms code may be unnecessarily complicated and complex, but it is much preferred over the Scandinavian ones I am used to.
    We have to apply for a license for each individual gun...it can take a year. They frown on almost anything semi auto, especially with a pistol grip.
    A lot of guns are banned by name, there is no logic behind it.

You can own an AR15 in Sweden and use big drum magazines since there are no magazine restrictions. However you may NOT own a Mini-14...since one was used in a mass shooting in Norway. Hmmm....
    You can however carry handguns in the woods and even hunt with them, and there are no ATTs.

Still I much prefer the Canadian system, I am just terrified of getting snagged on a technicality. Like using a 25 rnd mag in my sons 10/22 for instance. It should be legal since its rimfire, but since the mag can also be used in some obscure handgun it is a prohibited device.
    Getting shafted on something like that makes me nervous, I have heard some pretty horrific stories...

Again thanks everyone for explaining how this works in detail.

No worries

Shawn
    I was talking to a CFO about that slip of paper... According to her you actually dont need to carry that slip of paper (???? it says on the paper right?). When I challenged her on that, she stated that it was "attached" to my RPAL and that the slip can be left at home as more of a records sake thing.

I am confused.
    Everytime a vendor posts a sale, my bank account cringes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast