Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BCL 102 in 45 Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    I didnt know much about this round so I did a search. http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/
    You are correct about using regular 460 S&W dies, along with a .308/.30-06 type shellholder.
    But if .45 cal barrel blanks and .460 S&W reamers can be exported, how can the new round be so tightly controlled?
    It's really not. You can machine whatever barrel you want really. You just won't be able to get brass, but you can easily make it with 308 of 30-06. It would be a great calibre for a reloader, and I fully intend to make an upper in this calibre when parts are more readily available.

After a bit more reading, it seems that the freebore is somewhat different between the Raptor and the 460 S&W.
    http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/faq/

Question – Does the 45 Raptor chamber match the 460 SMITH & WESSON MAGNUM SAAMI specified chamber dimensions?

Answer – No, beyond changing from a rimmed to a rimless design that head-spaces off the case mouth, additional clearances were incorporated into the 45 RAPTOR chamber given its intended use in a semi-automatic rifle. In addition, the throat design has increased freebore and a shallower lead angle than the 460 SMITH & WESSON MAGNUM SAAMI specified chamber dimensions.

If they make one in either 450 or 375 Raptor I will definitely be buy one or I can settle for 338 Federal.

Know someone already rebarrel his to 6.5 cm so it's highly possible.

___
    Last edited by saltednutz; 01-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Um, er, ahhh, ummm, er, ahhh, um. -Justin Turdboy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slim123 View Post
    while were at it ....how about BCL come out with a 102 converted to a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range?.....
    Would that have a chrome lined barrel?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    Would that have a chrome lined barrel?
    40 Gigawatt plasma rifle with chrome-lined barrel and must take AK mags.

CGN Regular
    I wanted to do a 358 version of the raptor essentially a 358 winchester AI. I think that cartridge would be the felines behind. Redding dies on ebay for that one right now....
    Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit.

~Oscar Wilde~

Improving the 358 win won't net you many performance gains, would so the standard decrease in brass flow, but do you really want to do all that fiddling around just to have a semi chew up and chuck brass anyway. Standard 358 win would be fine. Of course thats your time and money reloading so whatever floats your boat.

For guys into running expensive brass and such, is there a compatible brass catcher?
    “A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.” Teddy Roosevelt

Those who beat their swords into plowshares often plow for those who didn't

"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hotwheels81's Avatar
    Sorry to dig up an old thread...

Gentlemen... I've poked the bear so to speak... I spoke with a friend about the 375 raptor cartridge and he fell in love with it..
    There is a 375 raptor reamer in the hands of an Alberta gunsmith... The only issue being had at the moment is dies are needing to be custom built for the 375... I fired what I believe is among the first rifles (a bolt action) in Canada chambered in 375 Raptor this afternoon.

And a site sponsor I just noticed has 45 Raptor starline brass "special order" listed on his site...

These cartridges are attainable in Canada ITAR be damned...
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I live by a simple code, empty clip an then reload.

45 raptor turns out to be a really niche cartridge designed to adhere to an ohio law that prevents hunting with centrefire cartridges with a case length greater than 1.8"

as a result, 45 raptor has an overall length of just 2.3", the AR10 action length is of course 2.8". For reference, the 450 bushmaster in the AR15 is only 70 thou shorter than the raptor, albeit at lower pressure.

this short cartridge requires modified magazines as well, to block the cartridge from sliding around in the mag and provide an initial feed ramp.

if you want to shoot 452 in an AR10, it would be best to take a 284 win (the parent of 450 bushmaster), and blow out the walls in a custom chamber (.500 base, .476 neck, 2.2 case, 2.8 OAL).

the resulting cartridge would be balistically close to 458 win mag. 80gr case capacity @ 60k PSI.

I plan to pursuit this wildcat eventually, but not really sure where to begin in getting a wildcat chamber made.