Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BCL 102 in 45 Raptor

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent2 View Post
    Raptor would be neat bit why not 450 marlin? Easy to find ammo and dont have to deal with those way to light 452 diameter pistol bullets
    It’s belted.
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Quote Originally Posted by griffin86 View Post
    It’s belted.
    There are other ARs chambered in belted cartridges, why is that the obstacle?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Guys, this is a 2017 thread. Not only the 45raptor will never see the light of day (as far as mass production goes at leat), but the BCL102 itself is pretty much going the way of the dodo. Might as well ask for a Colt Python in 12G.

Quote Originally Posted by 70m4h4wk View Post
    There are other ARs chambered in belted cartridges, why is that the obstacle?
    Which ones?
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

CGN Regular
    Colt python in 12ga? I’m in!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ryang5177 View Post
    I agree, if you really want something like the 45 raptor just go with a .450 bushmaster. It’s so similar and the benefits outweigh the cons IMO. Brass, barrels, reloading equipment, explaining to everyone what a 45 raptor is, I can’t say it be worth it. That being said, I love weird cartridges as much as the next guy.
    the 450BM is a micro action cartridge, designed for AR15s, the 45 Raptor is specifically designed to be a short action cartridge in AR10s.

if you had a short action rifle you can't "just go with" a micro action cartridge like 450BM without custom modification.

but i agree that the performance between the two is quite similar. With 45-70 auto, you can get close to 458 win mag performance.

Which ones?
    that exact cartridge, 450 marlin, is commonly chambered in ar10s. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020595221

Falkor and Nemo are those AR type rifles that I am aware of available in 300wm (belted case) but then it's a complete different platform than AR10 type rifles (308 case family) and don't think they are available in Canada (or at least yet).
    Last edited by Spcamno; 09-11-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredP View Post
    the 450BM is a micro action cartridge, designed for AR15s, the 45 Raptor is specifically designed to be a short action cartridge in AR10s.

if you had a short action rifle you can't "just go with" a micro action cartridge like 450BM without custom modification.

but i agree that the performance between the two is quite similar. With 45-70 auto, you can get close to 458 win mag performance.

that exact cartridge, 450 marlin, is commonly chambered in ar10s. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020595221
    It’s not commonly chambered in AR-10s. There’s a reason why the only sell uppers, not barrels. The uppers are machined out and there are magnum bolts in them. You won’t be dropping a barrel into a BCL102 or Stag and have it function.

There are only 2 people on YouTube with them. One guy only shoots his 3 times with 1 round in the mag each time.
    Last edited by griffin86; 09-11-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    CGN Weekly Schedule

It’s not commonly chambered in AR-10s. There’s a reason why the only sell uppers, not barrels. The uppers are machined out and there are magnum bolts in them. You won’t be dropping a barrel into a BCL102 or Stag and have it function.

There are only 2 people on YouTube with them. One guy only shoots his 3 times with 1 round in the mag each time.
    the only thing that is modified on that upper is a larger ejection port, much like the 50 beo and 458 socom ar15 uppers. some mfgs ejection ports are large enough by default.

the .532 bolt face in AR10s is also not uncommon, being used with the SAUM and WSM cases which are quite ubiquitous in ELR gas guns. so with the proper bolt, a 450 marlin would quite likely "drop in" a BCL or stag and work.

however, the point is that belts and semi-autos are not incompatible, so your explanation of "its belted" is not accurate.

EDIT: i just realized i had both a bcl102 and stag 10 receiver set on my desk, the ejection ports measure .555 and .575 on the BCL and stag respectively, so you likely wouldn't have an issue running 450 marlin.

CGN Regular
    Another bonus is it doesn't head space on the case mouth so you can get a good crimp and not worry about bullet set back.