Thread: 1911 frame 10mm vs .45acp

1911 frame 10mm vs .45acp

Dear Dlask,

If anybody knows, I figure you might know. Are there any differences in a 1911 frame made to build a 10mm vs a .45 auto? I guess another way to ask the question is can I use the same frame from a .45 auto to build 10mm in the 1911 platform?
    Is the magazine well the same size?
    Are all the clearances the same? Can I simply switch out all the components and use a slide, barrel, etc from a donor 1911 10mm like the Delta Elite if it had a cracked frame for example?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

shooting 10 mm

Quote Originally Posted by DanSkiBum View Post
    Dear Dlask,

If anybody knows, I figure you might know. Are there any differences in a 1911 frame made to build a 10mm vs a .45 auto? I guess another way to ask the question is can I use the same frame from a .45 auto to build 10mm in the 1911 platform?
    Is the magazine well the same size?
    Are all the clearances the same? Can I simply switch out all the components and use a slide, barrel, etc from a donor 1911 10mm like the Delta Elite if it had a cracked frame for example?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    I had been shooting 10mm for 5 years ,there are some manufacturers offers 1911platform for 10mm ,beside Colt, Para ord. and Remington also had match models . I like Glock G 20 , this gun also can shoot 40 S&W since the huge extractor can hold the ammo and fire . This gun built like a tank , already make some thousand rounds through it ,no worries of cracking of the frame.
    Shooting 10mm need a thicker barrel and support ,may not so simple as replacing the barrel .
    I LOVE HONEY

^ I am not looking to replace the barrel. I am looking to replace the frame with a frame from a 45 auto. I want to know if it would work.

Not an expert, but I remember reading up on the Delta Elite when it first came out and all the extra engineering that went into it. Using a standard .45 frame might work for a while, but I think it would be missing key reinforcements and may not be safe over time.
    - CSSA - CCFR -

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Norincos are known to have really strong steel in their 1911 frames right? Maybe that's enough?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.