Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Just Arrived! PIG0311-G Field Tripods $229.95

What would be a good ball mount for this? I'm not sure a direct mount would be good for me.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    What would be a good ball mount for this? I'm not sure a direct mount would be good for me.
    Benro Levelling Head is much more low-profile than a full Ball Head (see post above). It gives you 15 degrees of tilt in all directions, which is plenty sof adjustment outside of high-angle stuff, which you can compensate for with your tripod legs. Mcuch cheaper also. The Benro direct from Hong Kong with free shipping on ebay is $95 USD. I just ordered another for my new PIG 0311 Tripod (see post below).
    Mark C

Thanks for this I'll have a look. The others I've seen are costly, especially when you add up all the bits to have a working setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    Benro Levelling Head is much more low-profile than a full Ball Head (see post above). It gives you 15 degrees of tilt in all directions, which is plenty sof adjustment outside of high-angle stuff, which you can compensate for with your tripod legs. Mcuch cheaper also. The Benro direct from Hong Kong with free shipping on ebay is $95 USD. I just ordered another for my new PIG 0311 Tripod (see post below).
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Here is a shot of my new Shadowtech/Slik PIG 0311 Tripod (left) alongside my PRST Tripod. The Aluminum PIG 0311 just arrived today and I immediately realized that I need another Benro Levelling Head for this rig as well. A quick cyber-trip to eBay netted the cheapest Benro on the Internet for $95 landed from Hong Kong. Sold!

As you can see, the 3-section legs of the PIG 0311 make for a much taller overall package than the 4-section legs of the PRST. That is the most immediate difference that stands out between the two.. The next is their respective weights. I haven't actually measured them, but the internet will give up the actual specs for those who want them. By my rough estimation, the civilian-adapted, Aluminum PIG 0311 is approximately twice the weight of the shooter-specific Carbon-Fibre PRST tripod.

Aside from those two differences, there isn't much to distinguish the doubly-expensive PRST Tripod from the bargain-priced HOG 0311. The HOG 0311 is extremely well-built and finished in a highly-durable OD Green Powder Coat. It has all of the same shooter-specific features as its more expensive counterpart, including quick-change Spike and Rubber Feet, a shortened Center Column (to allow the High Prone Position) with an Equipment/Weight Hook, and adjustable Leg Lock tension. As you would expect, the HOG 0311 is a very beefy, durable and stable rig once it is set up.

I bought the PIG 0311 to support my ancillary equipment for long-range shooting. For the photo I screwed my Kestrel 5700 Weather Station and Ballistic Calculator direct-mount onto the PIG. It will be much easier to level the Wind Vane once the new Benro Levelling Base arrives. I stuck my SIG 2200MR Laser Range Finder in the HOG SADDLE on the PRST tripod to the right, as an expedient steadying mount. In reality, the LRF will occupy the PIG 0311 tripod when a steady mount is required to laser distant/pinpoint targets. It will share the PIG 0311 with my Kestrel and perhaps even my Spotting Scope (if partnered with a Spotter).

I hope that some of you will find this mini-review of the affordable HOG 0311 useful. If you are sitting on the fence about one of these, don't hesitate to take the plunge. It really is a very nice "Shooter's Tripod"!
    Last edited by Bartok5; 10-17-2017 at 12:59 AM.
    Mark C

Hey, is that an AUG?! There's some cool hardware on that shelf.

Nice review by the way - looks like a choice to supplement my primary tripod.

Yeah, it's a 12 (4) AUG with a bunch of Australian bits and pieces on it. Bonus points for anyone who can name all of the rifles in the Background!! Hint - most of my early Eugene Stoner designs are in the photo, along with a few contemporary designs from the 1950s through to the 80s...
    Mark C

Very cool. I'm been looking into these tripods. It's good to see a quick comparison and know where to get them.
    It is not enough to aim; you must hit.

Super GunNutz
    Bartok5 - Here's my educated guess

Left to right
    AK - Russian or Yugo?
    FN-FAL
    HK G3
    FN L2A1
    AR10
    AR15 SP1
    XM177
    AR18 or AR180
    Robinson Arms M96
    Steyr Aug
    Gail ARM

Hidden #4 looks like an M14 with E2 bipod.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason