CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 83

Thread: Just Arrived! PIG0311-G Field Tripods $229.95

  1. #21
    CGN Regular Trump308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Dauphin,MB
    Posts
    115
    I was going to wait for a sale to pop up go order one of these, but after Bartok5ís review I ordered one up last night and an LBA2 swivel

  2. #22
    GunNutz Bartok5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
    Bartok5 - Here's my educated guess

    Left to right
    AK - Russian or Yugo?
    FN-FAL
    HK G3
    FN L2A1
    AR10
    AR15 SP1
    XM177
    AR18 or AR180
    Robinson Arms M96
    Steyr Aug
    Gail ARM

    Very Good! Here's the school-book solution:

    - 12 (3) Russian Izhevsk AKMS
    - 12 (5) Canadian Arsenals FNC1A1 8L Series
    - 12 (3) French MAS HK G3A3 African Contract
    - 12 (3) USGI TRW M14
    - 12 (3) Dutch Artillerierie Inrichtingen AR10
    - Restr US Colt AR15 SP1
    - Restr US Troy XM177E2
    - 12 (5) UK Sterling AR 180
    - NR US Robinson Armament M96 Expeditionary Rifle (Stoner 63A Clone)
    - 12 (4) Austrian Steyr AUG
    - 12 (5) Israeli Galil ARM

    You only missed one, and it was hidden pretty well so good job for sure!
    Mark C

  3. #23
    GunNutz Bartok5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Trump308 View Post
    I was going to wait for a sale to pop up go order one of these, but after Bartok5’s review I ordered one up last night and an LBA2 swivel
    Good for You! I really think that you will be impressed with the value for money that the HOG 0311 Tripod represents. It is a genuine bargain for what you get. Heavier than Carbon Fibre, but not really "heavy" in its own right. Very smooth operation and stable when set up with a rifle's weight centred on it.

    The Levelling Head is really the way to go in my (admittedly limited) experience. I tried the Manfrotto Pistol-Grip Ball-Head Mount that seems to be the Ball-Head of choice in the US. I found it very tall and the friction-lock barely held the weight of my Cadex Guardian .308 in a steady position. I simply did not trust it with my $10k of rifle, optic and bipod. The Levelling Head is everything that the Manfrotto Pistol-Grip Ball-Head wasn't. It is low-profile, super stable, easily locked rigidly in place, and there is physically no way that your rifle can flop over on its side (unlike a Ball-Head). Oh, and a Benro Levelling a base is 1/5 the price of a decent Manfrotto Ball-Head!

    I have owned both the aluminum HOG Saddle and the steel PIG Saddle. Functionally, there is no difference between each the two devices. Heck, they even look the same and operate identically. The only difference is the weight (and bragging rights). Whereas the HOG is machined from solid billets of aluminum, the PIG is made from pressed and folded sheet steel. Hence, the PIG is much cheaper, It is like a Rolex versus a Timex - they both tell the time just fine, but one is nicer than the other.

    Enjoy your new rig! I am sure that you will be impressed, especially once you do a little comparison shopping with the strićtly civilian camera tripods. Most decent options cost much more and lack the shooting-specific features that the HOG 0311 includes right out of the box.
    Mark C

  4. #24
    CGN Regular vultr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Rockies, West of the rest.
    Posts
    403
    Another lighter (much cheaper) option is to mount a ball head or leveling base directly to a picatinny rail on the bottom of your rifle. No play whatsoever on my PRST tripod, and much lower center of gravity. I won't post a link as this is NM's thread but there are a number of manufacturer's that make picatinny or keymod to ball head adapters. Just Google picatinny arca Swiss adapter and you'll see a number of products. The only caveat is that you have a pic rail on your rifle.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

    CCFR/NFA Member

  5. #25
    CGN frequent flyer wildphil24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,559
    Is it quick detach or do you leave the ball head on your rifle?
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    - George Mason

  6. #26
    GunNutz Bartok5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by wildphil24 View Post
    Is it quick detach or do you leave the ball head on your rifle?
    You will want a QD system on the ball-head's picatinny interface, otherwise the combination of rifle and ball-head becomes very cumbersome to mount/dismount on the tripod. The biggest problem that I find with the direct-mount option is that there is no picatinny rail at the balance-point of my two rifle chassis. Ideally, I want the rifle mounted right in front of the mag well. However, the picatinny mounting points on my rifles are further forward on the underside of the handguard. As a result, direct-mounting for me ends up with the rifle very butt-heavy and unbalanced on top of the Tripod. You guys may have better luck with different stocks or chassis systems. I am using a Cadex Guardian .308 and a Rem 700 in an MDT ESS chassis.

    Another option is to direct-mount a HOG or PIG Saddle to your tripod head and forego the ball-head or levelling-head entirely. Depending on how much tension you apply, there will be enough play between the rifle and Saddle to allow vertical adjustment. The tripod's rotating head will provide you with horizontal adjustment. It is not as refined as using a ball/levelling-head, but lots of folks opt for this system because it is simple, less expensive and lower-profile.
    Last edited by Bartok5; 10-19-2017 at 06:18 PM.
    Mark C

  7. #27
    CGN Regular vultr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Rockies, West of the rest.
    Posts
    403
    I've got a QD Arca Swiss style ball head with a throw lever. For me the benefit of using this setup is that you can quickly cycle between a spotter, a rangefinder, and then the weapon with a single method of attachment.The adapter is just a small plate that hard mounts to the rifle.

    At less than three ounces it's substantially lighter than even the aluminum hog saddle. It's the best of both worlds and at under 100 bucks it's my favorite set-up but YMMV.

    I'm using them on a MDT LSS XL (tikka action) and a couple XCRs. They balance nicely on my guns but I would agree that the rail location would be a deciding factor. I've got the RRS Vyce (similar to the hog) but i never found it was as solid a connection as I wanted.
    Last edited by vultr; 10-19-2017 at 06:46 PM.
    "A gun is not a weapon, Marge, it's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon, or...or an alligator."

    CCFR/NFA Member

  8. #28
    CGN Regular Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartok5 View Post
    You will want a QD system on the ball-head's picatinny interface, otherwise the combination of rifle and ball-head becomes very cumbersome to mount/dismount on the tripod. The biggest problem that I find with the direct-mount option is that there is no picatinny rail at the balance-point of my two rifle chassis. Ideally, I want the rifle mounted right in front of the mag well. However, the picatinny mounting points on my rifles are further forward on the underside of the handguard. As a result, direct-mounting for me ends up with the rifle very butt-heavy and unbalanced on top of the Tripod. You guys may have better luck with different stocks or chassis systems. I am using a Cadex Guardian .308 and a Rem 700 in an MDT ESS chassis.

    Another option is to direct-mount a HOG or PIG Saddle to your tripod head and forego the ball-head or levelling-head entirely. Depending on how much tension you apply, there will be enough play between the rifle and Saddle to allow vertical adjustment. The tripod's rotating head will provide you with horizontal adjustment. It is not as refined as using a ball/levelling-head, but lots of folks opt for this system because it is simple, less expensive and lower-profile.
    Bartok5 would you be so kind as to take a few pics with the leveling base in the most downward angle the rifle can go at and conversely the most upward , I am curious about the range the base would have vs a ball head . Thanks in advance
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of #### by the clean end.

  9. #29
    CGN Regular Greenman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    819
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXaiYwrww4CcUTuv1

    lookie what kijiji got for me 80 bucks , looks like the order for the tripod and the pig are going in soon
    Last edited by Greenman; 10-21-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of #### by the clean end.

  10. #30
    GunNutz
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    291
    Any idea when these will be back in stock?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •