Thread: Restricted licence

Restricted licence

Hi I new to the hand gun sport thanks to a friend at work. Just looking for any pointers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ipscgraz's Avatar
    On a reasonably direct route with the wipers on.
    Welcome in.

You will find that pistols and revolvers is a big territory.

As far as pointers:

A 22 revolver will be fun and cheap for practice.

Once you get deeper, you will want to look at reloading for cost savings, so start saving your brass now.

Anything you buy, whether a gun or a press, will last you a lifetime so buy quality. My two presses will go to my sons and will still be good in another 40 years. Same with the guns.

Above all else, really buy in to the mentality of safety...don't let time or overconfidence turn you into the guy we don't want around anybody else.

I am sure others will have more.
    A demand for further gun laws is an admission that the hundreds of gun laws already on the books, and the Firearms Act itself, is simply to placate the uninformed.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus

Well that is good to know that the equipment and the guns have such longevity. I will save up to by the best reloading equipment I can find .In your mind what would that be.

CGN Regular
    Welcome to the sport my friend.

I might be in the minority for this, but if you do want to get into centrefire (.22 can get a little boring sometimes, heh), I'd recommend a Tokarev TT33. They're very cheap here in Canada (about $225-275), the surplus ammo for it is quite affordable, and it will teach you to clean and take care of your pistols, as it's absolutely necessary to clean after using surplus ammo. Everyone has their own method of cleaning too but there are great resources online.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Start saving up, cause this is a "just one more" addiction!
    I like to think I know enough to know when I don’t know enough….

Storage solutions and space was something I hadn't fully considered myself fully.
    If you're going to have a combination of handguns and long guns you will need something more suitable for the future.
    A StackOn cabinet is fine for a pistol and and rifle if you think that's what you're going to want at the beginning.

Try to plan ahead, you can talk to your friend more as well for advice.
    See what his setup is like and think about budgeting.

Watch as much as youtube as possible(on everything) while you're waiting for your classes and paperwork to come in

The advice I could give you is don't give in to cheap guns, (not mentioning brands here but you will know as you go) you will buy a good gun for life, it's more expensive but you'll be proud and give it to your kids. A cheap one you will want to sell or it'll be a safe queen and that's not great. Reloading you can go cheap, I still reload with a LEE press and reload 6 caliber on it. It's the precision and time you spend reloading that makes a good round but some like to chuck out rounds like machines so they want the best and the fastest, not my case but that's me.
    Finally it's an addictive sport, don't think that you can buy one and stay with it, you will cut on something else (even food) to scrape for another handgun loll

Quote Originally Posted by Elkbooger View Post
    Start saving up, cause this is a "just one more" addiction!
    Elkbooger's right. Her Ladyship keeps asking me "how many are enough?"
    Funding the "Bank of Dad" for over 30 years.