Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Type 87 upgraded Type 81 rifle

Type 87 upgraded Type 81 rifle

Hi I thought I might throw out the mention of this rifle and wanted to gauge interest in it. This is the 'tactical' version of the type 81 that lots of people seem to be trying to replicate through stuff like magpul zhukov furniture. More specifically the type 87 was a prototype based on the type 81 built to test the Chinese 5.8 cartridge. This is a gun that could be brought into canadian market in 5.56x45, a caliber I have seen a couple people request the type 81 in. It could also potentially be one of the first 5.45x39 NR rifles in canada which could allow for ak 74 mag usability similar to how people have been modifying AKM mags for the type 81. I know the type 81 order was piggybacked on an existing military order, but I thought I would bring this up as it seems like a good alternative to those who want a 'tactical' ak type rifle. Let me know what yall think. I think this rifle could be attainable if there was enough interest as it is basically a type 81 with different furniture and in a different caliber.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/RPS5TmxL3mSC1N5T8

CGN Regular
    I don't think they have any tooling left for this rifle, it was an evolutionary dead end. We might have more chance of getting them to export the newer ones like the QBZ-191

CGN Ultra frequent flyer medvedqc's Avatar
    long branch: the type 81 came from the factory available with ak47 mag and i do not know why ti did not do it? because of the name or it was the only option available that day: we will never know.

for the rest i like that way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 421SuperDuty View Post
    I don't think they have any tooling left for this rifle, it was an evolutionary dead end. We might have more chance of getting them to export the newer ones like the QBZ-191
    As long as the technical data and tooling for the type 81 still exists, the type 87 is possible. The reciever and sight system is IDENTICAL to the type 81-1 folder. The only difference is that the trigger guard and mag release are combined, the furniture is different, the dust cover is stamped differently and the caliber is different. The stamping for the reciever and trunnion layout is identical. It's not a hard rifle to recreate and it meets the criteria that many people on here have been asking for. The QBZ 191 is china's BRAND NEW service rifle. I think they would be more worried about military contracts rather than civilian ones. Just thought I'd throw the concept out there.

The qbz 97 was converted from 5.8 to 5.56 and mad AR mag compatible. I'm sure the type 81 could get re-updated in a different caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbranch1943 View Post
    The qbz 97 was converted from 5.8 to 5.56 and mad AR mag compatible. I'm sure the type 81 could get re-updated in a different caliber.
    who knows we have been lucky to get that t81 for the rest we will see what is next.

5.45x39 would also be great. Is bulk ammo available to be shipped to Canada?
    Gun control defined: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by platnumbob View Post
    5.45x39 would also be great. Is bulk ammo available to be shipped to Canada?
    Well considering the Russian Federation can no longer export 5.45 surplus to the states, I'm sure there some ammo that is available to import into Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbranch1943 View Post
    Well considering the Russian Federation can no longer export 5.45 surplus to the states, I'm sure there some ammo that is available to import into Canada.
    the embargo is as well with canada ...

Quote Originally Posted by medvedqc View Post
    the embargo is as well with canada ...
    Never heard of Canada having an embargo on Russian ammo imports could I see a source?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast