Thread: Getting Started in Action Shooting

Getting Started in Action Shooting

Hey, CGN, I know a lot of you are experienced shooters, but a lot of the CGN members I talk to only ever shoot on their acreage, or at an indoor range, or when they hunt.

I think that if you're going to shoot guns, you should do it outdoors, and on the run! Action shooting in the great outdoors is excellent fun and there is an option for everyone.

IPSC. Pronounced 'Ipsick', International Practical Shooting Confederation is probably the best-known of shooting sports. In most places shooters only carry a pistol, but carbines and shotguns are used at some clubs.
    IPSC shooting days are called 'matches', and the range will set up several obstacle courses (stages) of walls, doors, windows and lots of targets. The shooter, chased by a safety officer with a timer, will move through the course, shooting the targets as quickly as possible. At the end of the day, scores are tallied and the stages are taken down and put away.

Many IPSC shooters take the score very seriously, but novices shoot for fun and some people shoot for years and never worry about their score- after all, it's supposed to be fun! Next week I'll publish a more in-depth look at IPSC, including how you can get started in your area, the gear you'll need, and what to expect.

IDPA. The International Defensive Pistol Association, like IPSC, is a well-known league of pistol shooters, with membership, rules, and clubs throughout North America. IDPA matches also involve several stages, basically obstacle courses of walls, doors, and other barriers. The shooter, followed by a safety officer, moves through the obstacles shooting the targets as quickly as possible. The defining quality of IDPA is that the stages are intended to simulate the use of a gun in self-defence, which seems to make IDPA a little more American in nature ( in Canada guns are merely sporting goods, not weapons). The strategies of shooting IDPA make for interesting problem-solving, and the matches are less focused on speed and athleticism. Instead, competitors are expected to use concealment and practical gunfighting tactics to succeed.

I'll be writing a more detailed account of IDPA in a couple of weeks; in the meantime search IDPA on YouTube to get an idea of how much fun it can be!

3Gun
    . Sometimes called multi-gun, 3Gun is a shooting sport combining a pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Any model of these firearms might be allowed in a match, but 'serious competitors' use tactical-style guns; semi-auto handgun, an AR-15 rifle, and a tactical shotgun like the Benelli M4. A typical match employs a basic obstacle course and at least two firearms. A typical stage might start with the rifle and some steel targets at 80 metres, the shooter then leaves the rifle (unloaded and safe) on a table, picks up his shotgun, and blows of few clay targets off stands further down range. He then ditches his shotgun in a barrel, draws his pistol, and runs forward to engage a series of paper targets. Whew!

In a few weeks, I'll write an in-depth review of 3Gun, how you can get started, and how you can get your local outdoor range to start hosting 3Gun matches. In the meantime, YouTube it.

Precision Rifle. The term precision rifle is a bit generic, but it derives from a trade-named league called Precision Rifle Series. As a result there is some confusion, since some matches are actually part of PRS, and some are PRS-style or simply Precision Rifle. Regardless, these terms refer to a particular style of rifle shooting in which participants have to engage several longer-distance targets, usually while moving from place to place, often behind obstacles or in awkward shooting positions. Accuracy is measured against time to determine score.

There are several other established sports for shooting outdoors: F-class for rifle accuracy, Cowboy Action, and Steel Challenge. We'll soon get to discussing these sports, so keep an eye here and on our website at RangeRabbit.com; as target suppliers to ranges across Canada, we love helping people find new ways to shoot!

Where do you shoot 3 gun, Glenn?
    Whatever

Awesome post. Can't wait to read more on how to get started.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Glenn and Range Rabbit were the title sponsor at the recent 2017 Canadian National Steel Challenge competition held west of Calgary. They supplied the targets for two "Outlaw" steel stages with half of the proceeds going to the Alberta Children's Hospital and the other half to one lucky shooter via 50/50 draw. Range Rabbit also donated close to 2000 dollars in prizes to the prize table. This is a company that genuinely supports shooters and shooting sports in Canada, a huge thank you to Glenn and Range Rabbit for all that you are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Where do you shoot 3 gun, Glenn?
    Well, I used to go to the great matches WRAS put on at Spruce Grove :-(
    I didn't shoot any 3Gun this year (thanks to 1000 great customers!), though I'm a member at CDTSA and they put on several matches at Milo this year. CHAS at Genesee Range apparently put on some matches this year also.
    No matter how busy Range Rabbit is next summer, I'm going to hit every 3Gun match I can. Best Fun Ever!

Great post, looking forward to the follow up. I'm starting to piece together a belt, excited to sign up for my Black Badge course in Edmonton.

Good job posting this. Looking forward for more

tagged!

BANNED
    tagged..