Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with Ellwood Epps?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer squidxm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    I like the place as it's on the way to the camp and they have lots of odds and ends that can be hard to find elsewhere. I try not to buy firearms from them anymore though. Here's why. I treat my firearms with a little care and appreciation. I know there are folks out there who look upon them as tools and tools only. No problem. Do what you want with your firearm. Some staff at Epps are really hard on their inventory displayed behind the counter. I have witnessed them banging them together like utensils in the kitchen draw!! I recall them having a Blaser rifle on display (used I believe) in really nice condition. Chap goes to pull it down and realizes it's stuck on a Savage bolt action rifle. Push, pull, yank, twist. Well, he did eventually get them apart though none to graciously. I didn't even want to look at it at that point.
    Also, I have found their new inventory seems well 'handled', often with small but noticeable issues. Makes me wonder if their not getting 'seconds' from the factory. Rumour has it staff like to shoot their inventory though that again is just rumour.
    Other than that, I find once they recognize you and you tend to buy 'something', they treat you ok.
    Now THAT’S good customer service... :D

Quote Originally Posted by tjsudbury View Post
    Didn't Epps lose their gunsmith a little while back?
    I think his name was ‘Doug’.
    Haven’t seen him around there in a while.
    Old Elwood Epps the original owner was a top notch gunsmith but he’s been dead since 2002.

Join the club, they are an online e-commerce outfit. Customer service has slipped to say the least. they have potential but for walk in and retail help, go elsewhere.

They’ve got a lot of stuff packed into that big barn.

Their website was used by a friend of ours to get rid of firearms left by her deceased husband including prohibs that the cops would have grabbed for $zip otherwise.
    They were very helpful and took care of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    I like the place as it's on the way to the camp and they have lots of odds and ends that can be hard to find elsewhere. I try not to buy firearms from them anymore though. Here's why. I treat my firearms with a little care and appreciation. I know there are folks out there who look upon them as tools and tools only. No problem. Do what you want with your firearm. Some staff at Epps are really hard on their inventory displayed behind the counter. I have witnessed them banging them together like utensils in the kitchen draw!! I recall them having a Blaser rifle on display (used I believe) in really nice condition. Chap goes to pull it down and realizes it's stuck on a Savage bolt action rifle. Push, pull, yank, twist. Well, he did eventually get them apart though none to graciously. I didn't even want to look at it at that point.
    Also, I have found their new inventory seems well 'handled', often with small but noticeable issues. Makes me wonder if their not getting 'seconds' from the factory. Rumour has it staff like to shoot their inventory though that again is just rumour.
    Other than that, I find once they recognize you and you tend to buy 'something', they treat you ok.
    We go in with a list of what we need.
    Any used guns get checked out then and there.
    Wish they would put more of their new accessories for sale on their website which has improved a lot in the last couple of years.
    I’ll bet their online sales are more than their in-store sales.
    Epps is ‘getting it’ in regards to the online market place whereas LeBaron never did.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    I once ordered...
    Last edited by Deckard; 12-03-2017 at 12:34 AM.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Epps is definitely a shop that is best seen as a place that one ought to visit to get a handle on how things run there. The shop is busy all the time and I imagine the salesmen get a little frazzled with the business of the shop. I have found items I didn`t expect to find and often times prices have some wiggle room. The website is so-so and doesn`t show everything that that shop has. It`s a good place fo rings and bases, a good variety of scopes and dies for reloading. A decent variety of firearms and most ammo calibers are available. I`ve observed lots of haggling and most people do well in their exchanges. If they don`t have something they will tell you and let you know if they can get it. Like other gun shops sometimes they have challenges getting stuff that customers ask for. I`ve seen it all - and been through it there. I like the shop and it`s better then most gun shops; and while in the area I buy there when I can. I don`t usually go there to browse there stuff so my experience is good and I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by skippjones View Post
    A little background on this story.....
    In April of this year I sent in a NOS Walther ppk to have the barrel changed from stock to a longer one to change the status from prohib to restricted.
    I was told that they only blue barrels in April and September and that it would have to be blued in early September to witch I agreed to. I received the registration update in July and was just waiting on the blueing to be completed the first week in September.
    On the last week of September after not hearing anything from Ellwood Epps I called them a few times and left multiple messages over the span of that week.
    Finally was told the gun was complete, the balance owing was paid and the gun was shipped back to me.
    When the gun was returned to me the barrel had not been polished and blued as was agreed upon and that I paid for, and there was no invoice /credit card slip in the box with the gun.
    I have sent emails and left voice mails but have heard nothing back from them at all. I just want the barrel polished and blued that I paid for.
    Is this how a CGN sponsor treats its customers?
    Has anyone else had a problem with these guys?
    Run, not walk, away from this place. Yikes.
    Are you allowed to eat doughnuts private Pyle?

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    LeBarons: French for "no stock".
    No stock?
    You must have walked through the store with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by skippjones View Post
    A little background on this story.....
    In April of this year I sent in a NOS Walther ppk to have the barrel changed from stock to a longer one to change the status from prohib to restricted.
    I was told that they only blue barrels in April and September and that it would have to be blued in early September to witch I agreed to. I received the registration update in July and was just waiting on the blueing to be completed the first week in September.
    On the last week of September after not hearing anything from Ellwood Epps I called them a few times and left multiple messages over the span of that week.
    Finally was told the gun was complete, the balance owing was paid and the gun was shipped back to me.
    When the gun was returned to me the barrel had not been polished and blued as was agreed upon and that I paid for, and there was no invoice /credit card slip in the box with the gun.
    I have sent emails and left voice mails but have heard nothing back from them at all. I just want the barrel polished and blued that I paid for.
    Is this how a CGN sponsor treats its customers?
    Has anyone else had a problem with these guys?
    They are very busy and not very organized.
    They lose stuff including instructions from customers.