Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is going on with Ellwood Epps?

Place seems ripe for someone to come along, buy them out and build a proper store with a layout that caters to gun owners. A nice big indoor range with 10 lanes would round it out nicely. Keep the name and make it a cool place to stop like it was in the 70's. Someone please make Epp's great again!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aries-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest1488 View Post
    Place seems ripe for someone to come along, buy them out and build a proper store with a layout that caters to gun owners. A nice big indoor range with 10 lanes would round it out nicely. Keep the name and make it a cool place to stop like it was in the 70's. Someone please make Epp's great again!
    May want to look into bylaws and explosives laws. There is a reason the owner doesnt expand or move.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer686 View Post
    I was in here once during a vacation looking for parts: stood in the line up at the gun counter for close on 35 minutes with a bunch of others waiting to be served (was there to buy a rifle and some parts I had confirmed on-line as being in stock) all the while watching the guys behind the counter walk around totally ignoring all of us while fielding phone call after phone call after phone call. I chatted up the guy in front of me who advised me this is the normal level of service after learning it was my first time there. I left the line, replaced all the items in my basket (~$300 worth) back on the appropriate shelves upstairs and left.

It's great to have lots of phone traffic but you need to manage resources to look after your walk-ins too.
    Retail in person and online should be different depts. Trying to do both results in poor service in both instances...
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

Problems with Ellwood Epps ???

To be fair, I had to respond to this thread, not in defense of Ellwood Epps , but fairness to Ellwood Epps. I recently had dealings with Ellwood Epps regarding a Browning Buckmark .22 Field Target. Without airing my dirty laundry, suffice to say it wasn't a huge problem, BUT, all it took to rectify the said problem , was one phone call to Wes Winkel, we spoke , he understood my dismay, and he took the appropriate steps to rectify the problem, and it was over and done with, before it went out of control. I don't believe in flaming a person/ corporation without first exhausting all possible other channels. That's it , that's all I have to say at this time.

Epps is a good gun store.
    They’re going to be around for a long long time.
    I wish they would modernize their website.
    Al Flaherty’s would be a good template to follow.
    We’d buy more accessories and ammo from them if they offered it online.

I had a great experience with them, wouldn’t hesitate to deal with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by skippjones View Post
    Has anyone else had a problem with these guys?
    Yep, sold me a rusted (New) gun. Wouldnt take it back and told me it was a cheap gun anyway.(its was a long time ago. Good to Know things havent changed.

Hi Folks,

Want to add my experience so far with Ellwood Epps.

Back at the end of August I decided to buy a Dillon 650XL, and sent out requests for quotes to a few different stores in Ontario. EE came back with a quote significantly under everyone else's. I sent an email back asking if the quote was in Canadian funds, and was told yes.

I called in to place my order (got Wes Winkel fortunately), and he stated the price quoted was their error, but to his credit, they would honor it. I placed my order in the second week of September, and EE was placing their order that week (so I was told by a gentleman called Burt, hence my placing my order by phone to make that order), and have been waiting patiently since. I have called a number of times over the last few weeks, and keep getting told that the order is being held up at the border.

I have checked with the other stores that I requested quotes from, which all had order dates LATER than EE, (one store was three weeks later!), they have all received their orders. I do not understand what the hold up could be. I have been given the same reason time and time again.

I even offered to help with my contacts at the CBSA, and was politely refused.

The CBSA processes shipments on a first in first out basis. The other stores placed their orders at later dates, and ALL have received their orders earlier.

For the record, all service was very polite, and courteous. It is the fact I have been hearing the same excuse for over five weeks now about the border. I made a general inquiry to my contacts at the CBSA, and while not permitted to discuss particulars, stated that while over five weeks to clear customs is not entirely unheard of, it is VERY unlikely, and it raises red flags.

I am a reasonable person, who understands that international shipping can have it's issues. I also hold the truth very highly in all respects of life. If there is a problem, be honest with me, and I will understand

I plan to be in Barrie next weekend for the IPSC AGM, and will be stopping in to speak to Mr. Winkel in person, with the hopes of getting some answers. I will update this post after that.

I am curious if this has happened to other CGN'ers who have dealt with Ellwood Epps before.

Thank you
    Last edited by Lequarius; 12-02-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: To correct grammar
    Para 16.40 fully tricked out by Roger Katanko at Dark Industries

CGN frequent flyer JohnnyPython's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lequarius View Post
    Hi Folks,

Want to add my experience so far with Ellwood Epps.

Back at the end of August I decided to buy a Dillon 650XL, and sent out requests for quotes to a few different stores in Ontario. EE came back with a quote significantly under everyone else's. I sent an email back asking if the quote was in Canadian funds, and was told yes.

I called in to place my order (got Wes Winkel fortunately), and he stated the price quoted was their error, but to his credit, they would honor it. I placed my order in the second week of September, and EE was placing their order that week (so I was told by a gentleman called Burt, hence my placing my order by phone to make that order), and have been waiting patiently since. I have called a number of times over the last few weeks, and keep getting told that the order is being held up at border.

I have checked with the other stores that I requested quotes from, which all had order dates LATER than EE, (one store was three weeks later!), they have all received their orders. I do not understand what the hold up could be. I have been given the same reason time and time again.

I even offered to help with my contacts at the CBSA, and was politely refused.

The CBSA processes shipments on a first in first out basis. The other stores placed their orders at later dates, and ALL have received their orders earlier.

For the record, all service was very polite, and courteous. It is the fact I have been hearing the same excuse for over five weeks now about the border. I made a general inquiry to my contacts at the CBSA, and while not permitted to discuss particulars, stated that while over five weeks to clear customs is not entirely unheard of, it is VERY unlikely, and it raises red flags.

I am a reasonable person, who understands that international shipping can have it's issues. I also hold the truth very highly in all respects of life. If there is a problem, be honest with me, and I will understand

I plan to be in Barrie next weekend for the IPSC AGM, and will be stopping in to speak to Mr. Winkel in person, with the hopes of getting some answers. I will update this post after that.

I am curious if this has happened to other CGN'ers who have dealt with Ellwood Epps before.

Thank you
    Being totally pessimistic but I think they didn't order the press. Epps may not be making any $$ on your order so they just want to give up and get a refund. That's my conspiracy theory.

I have made many purchases at EE both online and in person. Some of the guys can be on the unfriendly side but they sometimes tend to have hard to find items and lower prices. One time they forgot to start the restricted transfer. Not really a huge deal. I'll continue to shop there.

I would hope that is not the case, as that would be fraudulent, and I would be forced to take legal action.

As far as not making any money on the press, that may be true. They would certainly make money on the accessories I plan to buy with it. So this would not be a negative transaction for them.

I prefer to assume the best of people and businesses, and conduct myself accordingly. On the flip side, I show no mercy to those that wrong me.

As I have not spoken to Mr. Winkel in person to deal with this matter, I prefer to give him, and his company the benefit of the doubt.

I would kindly ask that responses not reflect suppositions, only factual experience with Ellwood Epps.

Thank you
    Para 16.40 fully tricked out by Roger Katanko at Dark Industries