Thread: Prod optics....

CGN frequent flyer carlchevalier's Avatar

Cool Prod optics....

Sooooo,

Now that its approved for next year. What's Tanfo's answer to the new division???? I see myself with a sweet stock 2 ish extreme... milled slide... Cmore... just saying.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LUTNIT's Avatar
    Has it been approved for Canada? Last I heard it was being discussed as a polymer-only division with slide milling not permitted but had not received the go-ahead by IPSC Canada.
    It has been adopted nationally by the Czech Republic I think? But that's it.

I heard no such thing. I certainly wasn't aware the IPSC Canada could make its own rules. I just read the division was approved starting Jan 2018 until 2020. Its going to be the exact same as current prod but with optic. No after market mods to the slide to fit the optic. That means a plate in the sight channel or the slide being adapted for the optic from the manufacturer.
    Last edited by carlchevalier; 10-16-2017 at 05:58 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer LUTNIT's Avatar
    Approved by IPSC Canada or approved by IPSC international? If IPSC Canada has not approved it for Canada then it doesn't exist within Canada.

What I know about it is from the IPSC Ontario forum where comments from IPSC Canada board members make announcements. Production Optics was supposed to be proposed at a meeting as a polymer-only division after the world shoot. There's been no news since then that I can find. I may be missing something, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm eagerly waiting for production optics myself, but I haven't seen anything official from IPSC Canada about it other than what I stated.
    Last edited by LUTNIT; 10-16-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Hopefully Sean and Co. will respond shortly and clarify all this for us... but pretty sure it's a 'done deal'

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Ventures View Post
    Yes - it was approved as a trial division for IPSC in 2018. Canadian sections will start discussing it with their memberships in the next couple of weeks.
    I suggest you formally ask the section coordinator. PM me if you need his email.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

Hey Dan, tu tirs open bientôt??? J'ai mon Trubor en 38 sup mais prod optics m'appelle... que'ce t'en pense?

Reste en open
    Open cest presque comme prod optic mais tout en mieux ( recul, magwell, détente, tuning )
    Je ne vois pas l'intérêt de prod optic si tu a deja un open

Ce n'est que mon avis

My SVI (Super Visually Impaired device) arriving by the end of this month.

Thanks.
    (said the now broken man)

PS to Tony without Benelli: Can't shoot straight but I have a nice gun ... and good bullets to feed it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

PO Box 51032
    RPO Rockingham Ridge
    Halifax, NS B3M 4R8
    Canada.
    IPSC Canada
    October 15, 2017
    Regarding: Production Optics Division.
    To whom it may concern;
    At the IPSC General Assembly held on August 26, 2017 in Chateauroux, France – the Assembly
    overwhelmingly voted in favor of a investigating new division, known as Production Optics. The IPSC
    Executive gave their blessing for the regions to trial the new division, but they did not provide the regions
    with a rule set.
    After extensive discussion with many regions, the region of Canada has decided to implement the
    attached (see next page) rule set for Production Optics for trial. Basically, it is the Production Rule Set,
    utilizing the production gun list but allowing slide mounted red dot optic sights.
    Beginning in 2018; All Canadian sections can use this rule set to offer the Production Optics division to
    their competitors at their matches. Some things IPSC Canada members should be aware of:
    1. IPSC Matches have the choice to not offer division recognition at a match. (they can chose
    not to recognize Production Optics or even Standard at a match.)
    2. Since this is a trial division; at Level 3 matches no president’s medals will be available for
    awards for Production Optics.
    3. This is a trial division. While we and many other regions believe this is the best direction for
    Production Optics; IPSC could chose to not go ahead with it or modify the rules disqualifying guns
    or components that are permitted in this version of the rule set. Of course, if this happens, IPSC
    Canada will notify its membership as soon as possible.
    We hope that this new division will offer a popular option to competitors and with luck, be popular enough
    to grow like our other divisions.
    Yours truly,
    Sean Hansen
    Regional Director, IPSC Canada
    APPENDIX D6: Production Optics Division (Trial)
    1. Minimum power factor for Major Not applicable
    2. Minimum power factor for Minor 125
    3. Minimum bullet weight No
    4. Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length 9 mm (0.354”) / 19 mm (0.748”)
    5. Minimum bullet caliber for Major Not applicable
    6. Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix E4a) 2.27 kg (5 lbs.) for first shot
    7. Maximum handgun size Maximum barrel length 127 mm
    8. Maximum magazine length No
    9. Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, see below
    10. Max. distance of handgun and allied equipment from torso 50 mm (see Rule 5.2.5)
    11. Rule 5.2.10 / Appendix E2 applies Yes
    12. Optical/electronic sights Yes, see below
    13. Compensators, ports, sound and/or flash suppressors No
    Special conditions:
    14. Only handguns listed as approved on the IPSC website may be used in Production Optics Division. Note that
    handguns deemed by IPSC to be single-action-only are expressly prohibited. The official IPSC protocol used to
    measure barrel length is described in Appendix E4b.
    15. Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked (see Rule 8.1.2.5), at the Start Signal. First shot
    attempted must be double action. Competitors in this Division who, after the issuance of the Start Signal and
    prior to attempting the first shot, cock the hammer on a handgun which has a loaded chamber, will incur one
    procedural penalty per occurrence. Note that a procedural penalty will not be assessed in respect of courses of
    fire where the ready condition requires the competitor to prepare the handgun with an empty chamber. In these
    cases, the competitor may fire the first shot single action.
    16. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model
    handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following:
    16.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably
    required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited. Other prohibited
    modifications include those which facilitate faster reloading (e.g. racking or charging handles, flared,
    enlarged and/or add-on magwells, etc.), changing the original color and/or finish of a handgun, and/or
    adding stripes, stippling or other embellishments.
    16.2 Magazines accessible to a competitor during a COF must not contain more than 15 rounds at the Start
    Signal. Identifying marks or decals, internal capacity limiters, bumper pads and additional witness holes,
    which add or remove negligible weight to/from magazines, are permitted.
    16.3 Sights may be trimmed, adjusted and/or have colors applied. Sights may also be fitted with fiber optic or
    similar inserts.
    17. Aftermarket parts, components and accessories are prohibited, except as follows:
    17.1 Aftermarket magazines are permitted, subject to 16.2 above.
    17.2 Aftermarket open sights (see Rule 5.1.3.1) and mounting plates are permitted, provided their installation
    and/or adjustment requires no alteration to the handgun.
    17.3 Aftermarket grip panels which match the profile and contours of the OFM standard or optional grip
    panels for the approved handgun and/or the application of tape on grips (see Appendix E3a) are
    permitted. However, rubber sleeves are prohibited.
    18. Optical sights must be mounted to existing sight fitting points installed on the upper rear of the slide by the OFM
    (i.e. dovetails or dedicated optical sight mounting points only). Racking or charging handles or other similar
    protuberances cannot form part of the optical sight or its mounting.
    19. This division will expire on 31 December 2020 unless previously extended.