Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 45-70

Picked up a 1895SBL 2 weeks ago. The rear ghost site needed little tweeking. All of a minute to correct and I didn't feel the need to go to a public forum to rant about it. Shot it this past weeked and it ran perfect. No regrets in the choice of lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by Luckybeer View Post
    Check out Brockman Rifles...particularly the Master Guide Gun
    Again the states.
    Doesn't do me much good here in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by cyphie View Post
    Just the checkering on the stocks of the new Marlins is pretty bad, nothing like the old ones. I suggest you handle and inspect one before you purchase it.
    They are much better than the first ones off the new Ilion NY assembly line.
    That isn't saying much.
    The checkering on my 2017 remlin 336 is decent and it cycles and shoots like a dream.
    You gotta check them pre purchase.
    No sight unseen buys or you have a good chance of being burned.
    Many lemons in the pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    Anymore gremlins in the newer Remlins?
    There are still lemons in the pipeline.
    Inspect carefully before buying a remlin.

I've had three now, an SBL and 2 GBLs one of which I still have. All three have been pretty much perfect and all were great shooters.
    Live for nothing, or die for something. Your call. - John J. Rambo

I paid 150 extra to buy local so I could inspect my SBL. One was good enough for me to buy, the other had the barrel not indexed correctly and the front sight was canted right badly and the rail didn't sit properly. Both made Spring 2016.
    A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

Shot placement is king; adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the heads of pins

CGN Regular
    I sold my mint 1895gs JM and of course regretted it. Then picked up a bnib on sale Remy 1895gs made in 2015 for $800 taxes and shipping included. Checked it over thoroughly and couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then I guess I was the 1st to say I'll take it when a bnib 1895gsbl showed up on the EE for $900 ($1500 with taxes at Wanstalls). It's the one with the FNC coating and painted stock. It's a beaut and can't find anything wrong with it either. Thought maybe a painted stock would be laughable but it ain't, it's tough and durable. Thought I might sell one of them but damn they're both keepers.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I have an older pre-crossbolt safety with the curved butt stock and straight grip.Shoots 1/2 " groups at 100 yards with either 300gr HP or 350gr FN Hornady handloads and a 4x Leupold.Will be keeping that one.

CGN Regular
    Now that's a gun!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo3 View Post
    I have an older pre-crossbolt safety with the curved butt stock and straight grip.Shoots 1/2 " groups at 100 yards with either 300gr HP or 350gr FN Hornady handloads and a 4x Leupold.Will be keeping that one.

CGN Regular
    I would really like a take down 45-70. Why are these not more commercially available? Also the 3400 us price tag on some of those Alaskan ones is super over the top. Is it that there is no market or am I missing something. I love my JM stamped XLR but wish I could take it down and fit it in my quad box rather than a scabbard when on the ATV through rough terrain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast