Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad idea to buy your first restricted online?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    First one always takes longer
    Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Hi:
    I have never had to wait more than 48 hours for a transfer approval in BC; buying or selling. You are probably correct that the first one might take longer.
    Cheers,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer philhut's Avatar
    I am in Ontario all have been under 2 weeks transfers most about 7-9 days including a weekend. The last one took only 2 days for approval then shipped by seller (private sale). Things have improved.... perhaps they got the book tossed at them when they lost everyone's restricted tests from the RPAL course 2 summers ago. Took me 5 months to get my restricted when i already had my NR lol

CGN frequent flyer greywolf67nt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabaan View Post
    Tbh I don't know what the real transfer times are in Manitoba.
    I said two weeks, but that is just what the guy at the gun counter in Cabela's told me so who knows...
    That is because you put the word Cabela's in that sentence
    Don't give up SQUAT!
    ZERO Compliance!

CCFR MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Tabaan View Post
    Hey guys,

I just received my RPAL in the mail and am looking to buy my first handgun this week.
    Is it at bad idea to order your first restricted online (from a different province)? I am wondering if that could cause problems/delays with the CFO/transfer?

If I bought my first restricted in a physical store here in Manitoba, I'd have to wait about 2 weeks for the transfer (after faxing range membership to the CFO).
    Then just sort ATT and pick up firearm.

How would this process work if I ordered online from another province "cross province"?
    Would this delay the process? Anyone who has any experience?

Thank you for any input!
    I got my RPAL in summer 2016 and bought my first restricted out-of-province in July this year, from QC actually. During the shopping process I had to call a few dealers and the process is the same as buying it in-province in person/online, at least according to my understanding. From payment until the approval was about a month. I would recommend you at least physically handling it thoroughly before buying online, understanding the controls, the feel of the grip, trigger reach, etc.

You make the payment, the dealer then files the transfer with the Canadian Firearms Program run by RCMP.

After RCMP have done their part, your province's CFO receives the transfer request and if it is approved the dealer gets notified of the decision and mail your purchase via an approved shipping provider.

Once notified your purchase is ready for pickup, bring your RPAL with you to the post office. I'm not sure if you are supposed to put a trigger lock and a locked gun case to bring the firearm back home. Mine did not shipped with either so I just drove home with neither of it.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriousSecret View Post
    I got my RPAL in summer 2016 and bought my first restricted out-of-province in July this year, from QC actually. During the shopping process I had to call a few dealers and the process is the same as buying it in-province in person/online, at least according to my understanding. From payment until the approval was about a month. I would recommend you at least physically handling it thoroughly before buying online, understanding the controls, the feel of the grip, trigger reach, etc.

You make the payment, the dealer then files the transfer with the Canadian Firearms Program run by RCMP.

After RCMP have done their part, your province's CFO receives the transfer request and if it is approved the dealer gets notified of the decision and mail your purchase via an approved shipping provider.

Once notified your purchase is ready for pickup, bring your RPAL with you to the post office. I'm not sure if you are supposed to put a trigger lock and a locked gun case to bring the firearm back home. Mine did not shipped with either so I just drove home with neither of it.

if it is shipped in a shipping box, who knows what it is inside. Could just be a normal package no? I don't see any reason to open up the package and then put a trigger lock on it. Put package in trunk and don't get pulled over.

With regards to buying online. If it's the gun you absolutely want and it is cheaper online then go for it. I am planning to buy a Canik online from a dealer since it's cheaper but will go to a local store to handle it first. If I love the feel then I will be buying online for my first purchase.

Congrats on receiving our RPAL

Did you call anyone for status updates while waiting for the transfer to complete? If so, who do you call? OR did you just sit patiently and wait for it to arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by cns187 View Post
    Did you call anyone for status updates while waiting for the transfer to complete? If so, who do you call? OR did you just sit patiently and wait for it to arrive?
    I did call the Canadian Firearms Program to inquire about the status of the transfer and the answer was pending review by the Ontario CFO.

Thank you! I decided to buy my first restricted at a physical store.

My wife bought her first restricted last Friday, transfer came through today so she can pick it up tomorrow. Not bad.
    I myself bought a Beretta 92FS yesterday, the guy at the gun shop told me it should only take a few days for it to go through at most, even though it is my first handgun.

I can hopefully pick it up early next week, we will have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasquit View Post
    Thank you! I decided to buy my first restricted at a physical store.

My wife bought her first restricted last Friday, transfer came through today so she can pick it up tomorrow. Not bad.
    I myself bought a Beretta 92FS yesterday, the guy at the gun shop told me it should only take a few days for it to go through at most, even though it is my first handgun.

I can hopefully pick it up early next week, we will have to see.
    What a coincidence, I've just bought a 92FS myself earlier this week!

A little off the original topic but I'm thrilled to have chosen this over a polymer striker fired (SFP9 or Gen 5 Glock 17). I have been contemplating for quite some time and finally decided to go with the Beretta. Nothing beats to own a toy that relates to all the childhood memories watching those old 80's movies.

I also have the 92FS BB gun and both of them will be sitting side by side.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast