Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night Shoot 2017!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar

Night Shoot 2017!!

Thanks to Wanstalls as the the title sponsors of the 2017 DSSMatch.com Night Shoot at TMSA!! Oversold in 16 hours, and 45 participants had fun running and gunning in the dark!!

See you in 2018!!

Thanking Wanstalls! Coming by to spend some $$$!

CGN Regular
    Sounds like fun!!!! We're guys allowed to use IR lasers and NV? 😎
    I was wounded by a machine gun, it looks really UZI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    No gear restrictions as far as seeing in the dark goes. Most were using WMLs and some visible lasers though.

Wanstalls donated a couple of nice prizes including a 4000 lumen flashlight! Thanks guys!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    Wicked!!!!!! Can't wait for this to come around in 2018. Obviously it is a range approved for use of restricted firearms right? What gunclub/range? Or was it non restricted bush fun? I don't know how I missed this!??? I must work to much or something!
    I was wounded by a machine gun, it looks really UZI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Your profile says you're in Alberta. This was in BC. It is a Thomson Mountain Sportsman Assoc (TMSA) Board approved range match organized by DSS Match BC. See my sigline for info.
    The Night Shoot is only open to members of DSS who have volunteered several times in some form during the regular season day matches. It's a "reward" for our hard work, so to speak! It only happens once a year!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Regular
    Sausage Party!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    That was the best shoot ever!! Thanks DSS and all that you guys put into this. Very well thought out, challenging stages.
    Some things I learned or observed: (Keeping in mind this was my first time at the night shoot,)

Dress for warmth and staying dry. You're are there for 10 hours with lots of sitting around in the middle of the night.
    Gloves are really helpful, make sure they fit well
    Bring food and warm drinks
    Bring glow in the dark pieces that you can wear front and back so the RO can follow you. We got ours at the dollar store
    Make sure your shooting glasses are clear ones (Sounds obvious, doesn't it?)
    Make sure your headlamp has a red only component
    Have a good quality weapons light that is securely attached to your rifle
    Chamber flags are mandatory
    Bring extra batteries for your lamps, weapons lights, etc.
    Lasers are useful at short range, they get really wobbly at longer ranges
    A multi-tool is a life saver. It was used frequently that night for myself and others. Allen wrenches are helpful as well
    Reflective tape on your mags makes them much easier to retrieve
    A dump pouch is essential

Some things that you don't consider once the sun goes down:
    The orange and yellow fault lines can be indistinguishable from each other from the glare of your light
    You can do all the planning you want in the daylight when looking at the stages- it means very little once the sun goes down
    Mag changes in the dark can be interesting (I was using my new X-95 and while I practiced lot of mag changes, total darkness changes everything.)
    Clearing malfunctions is even more fun in the dark; having a clean, well oiled rifle makes a difference
    No shoots (white) look the same as the regular targets (brown) under your bright weapons light

This is the weapons activated tiger torch. Looks innocuous enough in the daylight. When it senses a shot it sends out a ball of flame which can temporarily degrade your night eyes and you lose your target

Many of the no shoots have red hands on them in lieu of being white. This is helpful. One of the guys had a great idea. He posted this on the back of his vest to make sure no one mistook him for a target. Brilliant!

I loved this one. It is the Disco house. Floors and walls all white. You can't see it but there is also a disco light that revolves and casts a very bright, erratic light on the targets. Glare is intense. After that you go to a very small target stapled on top of a no shoot a fair distance away. Challenging.

Once you located this switch and hit it, two targets appeared at a car silhouette and you engaged them before they disappeared. They will come back up again but of course the clock is ticking . . .

A typical stage layout. Notice the orange and yellow fault lines. This is at the starting point, you had to engage the steel targets at 75 yds (I believe) and hit each one twice. Below them are more steel that you had to engage once each but I found them hard to locate with the barrels hiding them. You think you know where they are but when the buzzer goes . . .

The hardest targets for me were the paper ones to the right of the lower steel. They all seemed to blend together with the red handed guys as well.

Topping up my mags:

Shooter at the line, ready to go!

All in all, it was a fantastic experience. Totally plan on being there next year. But remember, it's by invitation and you have to have helped set up stages throughout the year. The more you help with, the better your chances to be invited. And, of course, you need your CASE course card.
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

Expried Business Member

Cool

Happy to support our local shooting sports! Looks like you guys had an awesome time!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    One of these days I'll get out to a match to check it out... That might be the kick in the pants I need to get a black rifle... Maybe that'll be my grad present to myself after I get out of school in a few months...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast