Canada ammo reloading 223?

One site has brass reloads, $99.00 for 100, makes 3-$400.00 for steel reloads sound pretty good. I've been looking for non corrosive last couple days, only found 2 places with it in stock, $209.00 and $229.00 per 500. I like the idea of can am reloading as it may make for a more consistent supply, there's a lot to be said for that " in stock " beside what you are looking for.

That is a dead link. Can you email me the post and I will check the context

Not sure why it doesn't work I'll try again..

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php/1595840-Question-for-223-ammo-customers?highlight=steel

It was a thread you started on July 27th named : Question for 223 ammo customers .

You basically asked cgners if they'd rather have steel or brass 223. You also said quote "rough guess is around 300 per 1000".

I've had my hopes up since then lol.

Not sure why it doesn't work I'll try again..

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...estion-for-223-ammo-customers?highlight=steel

It was a thread you started on July 27th named : Question for 223 ammo customers .

You basically asked cgners if they'd rather have steel or brass 223. You also said quote "rough guess is around 300 per 1000".

I've had my hopes up since then lol.
We are mixing questions. The question in post #11 above I answered was about x39. In your link it refers to 223, which will be brass, yes

I think DVC and TMSA (TMSA for sure, DVC... think so) both are ok with steel cases so I am good with either steel or brass. Not sure if PoCo is ok with steel cases but anyway I am ready. As soon as you have something for sale, just take my money!!!! ;)

Btw, you guys said you will be reloading slug locally right? is that gonna happen as well?

Last edited:
I think DVC and TMSA (TMSA for sure, DVC... think so) both are ok with steel cases so I am good with either steel or brass. Not sure if PoCo is ok with steel cases but anyway I am ready. As soon as you have something for sale, just take my money!!!! ;)

Btw, you guys said you will be reloading slug locally right? is that gonna happen as well?

ranges dont care about the cases, it is the projectile that matters.

I'm currently considering reloading .223 as my stash of Norc is running low. Your estimate of component cost of 80% seems high. I would think more like 60-70% cost of current bulk ammo at 43 to 48 cents each. Here is my breakdown.

Primer- 4 cents (40 per 1000 can be cheaper)
Powder- 13 cents ($35 H335 about 25gr per rd)
Bullet- 12 cents (119 per 1000 Budget shooter)
Total- 29 cents per round

.29 vs .43 = 67% cost of bulk commercial ammo
.29 vs .40 = 72.5%

I'm still completely undecided on whether to reload or not, I was thinking of starting a thread. I have a progressive press, but do not have the trim/case prep set up for necked. Which may not make it worth while.

I was also waiting on canada ammo. I noticed they stated on here a few months ago that they might be selling at 300/1000. In the high 30 cent range makes reloading not as appealing and in low 30's makes it not worth while. However if still in the 40's it makes reloading worth while. Save $100-200 per thousand rounds.

This is all my calculations though since I haven't actually reloaded 223 yet. Maybe I'm missing case lube or something.

I was going from memory. I have roughly the numbers you have, so about 70%. For 9mm it's about 50% and for 44magnum it's about 30% (the calibre I save the most on by reloading). If you count saving per round, it's about 14¢ for 223 and 9mm (so 140$/1000), and 70¢ for 44magnum. Considering that case prep is longer for rifle rounds than straight wall, it's a lot more time efficient to spend your reloading time on pistol rounds.

You also need to count the price of brass. If you need to buy it, it's gonna cost you and extra 6-8¢/round. If you have a stash, you could sell it for 4-7¢ a piece and get some money back. That's between 1/3 and 1/2 of the 140$ you save by reloading.

Case prep is a real pita if you don't have a giraud trimmer or a lyman/francfort case prep center (then it's just time consuming). The first 3000 cartridges you reload will merely pay for a prep center. I can't believe anyone would try to trim thousands of case witha hand trimmer. Even with a drill unit it's a pita to trim >100 cases...

Back
Top Bottom