Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Canada ammo reloading 223?

Where you can find the most expensive condos...
    Quote Originally Posted by P0WERWAGON View Post
    ranges dont care about the cases, it is the projectile that matters.
    Woohoo!! DVC confirmed me steel core is ok too ^_^

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    That is in the works. Using any copper jacketed bullet doubles the price over the surplus bullets FYI
    The current price for the Hornady x39 with SST is close to $1/Rd. If it.comes in significantly lower, then I will not bother loading for x39. Cost not performance. Tiny blacktails at close range, CZ527
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

That's a change, from a few years ago, steel core was a no go, or even bi-metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by lavino View Post
    Woohoo!! DVC confirmed me steel core is ok too ^_^
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    I was going from memory. I have roughly the numbers you have, so about 70%. For 9mm it's about 50% and for 44magnum it's about 30% (the calibre I save the most on by reloading). If you count saving per round, it's about 14¢ for 223 and 9mm (so 140$/1000), and 70¢ for 44magnum. Considering that case prep is longer for rifle rounds than straight wall, it's a lot more time efficient to spend your reloading time on pistol rounds.

You also need to count the price of brass. If you need to buy it, it's gonna cost you and extra 6-8¢/round. If you have a stash, you could sell it for 4-7¢ a piece and get some money back. That's between 1/3 and 1/2 of the 140$ you save by reloading.

Case prep is a real pita if you don't have a giraud trimmer or a lyman/francfort case prep center (then it's just time consuming). The first 3000 cartridges you reload will merely pay for a prep center. I can't believe anyone would try to trim thousands of case witha hand trimmer. Even with a drill unit it's a pita to trim >100 cases...
    Yah I also load 9 and 44 aswell as 45acp and 357. The revolver rounds are some of the best reloaders.

Ive been looking at the lymans case prep, just doesn't come with a trimmer. I've seen setups jimmy rigged with a trimmer but not sure how well that'd work. Frankford looks decent don't know about the price.

Could you let me know best places to shop for these and best prices. Can't find the giraud in Canada, I'm guessing the bit you use on a drill? Aswell any info on other trimmers and prep in the same price range or are these two really only the decent options?

Like a $300 trim and prep center all inclusive would be nice.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty.357 View Post
    Yah I also load 9 and 44 aswell as 45acp and 357. The revolver rounds are some of the best reloaders.

Ive been looking at the lymans case prep, just doesn't come with a trimmer. I've seen setups jimmy rigged with a trimmer but not sure how well that'd work. Frankford looks decent don't know about the price.

Could you let me know best places to shop for these and best prices. Can't find the giraud in Canada, I'm guessing the bit you use on a drill? Aswell any info on other trimmers and prep in the same price range or are these two really only the decent options?

Like a $300 trim and prep center all inclusive would be nice.
    The frankford at cabelas is a bit less than 300$, with free shipping.

If you want to know more about case prep and case prep equipment, feel free to ask in the reloading forum. At this point we're kind of hijacking this thread so I'll leave it at that.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bp2626 View Post
    Haha, you and 5 other people maybe.
    10mm is having a bit of a resurgence these days.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345