Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada ammo reloading 223?

Canada ammo reloading 223?

I heard a rumor that Canada ammo will be selling reloads of 223 soonish? True? Would be nice to have some cheap 223 on the market. Cheers.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    We are looking at it, yes. X39 will be next

I normally avoid buying reloads but the x39 has me interested. Will it be lead core? looking for something indoor range safe.

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    Stoked for this!!!
    "A government that does not trust it's law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust." - James Madison

That would be good too lol.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    Not to derail, but what happened to the “endless supply” of Norinco x39 that you said you would have access to CanAm?
    |CCFR|

Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Not to derail, but what happened to the “endless supply” of Norinco x39 that you said you would have access to CanAm?
    Please re-read that post; I was not speaking of Norinco

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    I heard a rumor that Canada ammo will be selling reloads of 223 soonish? True? Would be nice to have some cheap 223 on the market. Cheers.
    I think you might want to lower your expectations. If you look at the current offering for reloaded ammos, which mostly consist of 124grn FMJ 9mm, you can see that it's roughly the same price as new production. Canam's 1000 bulk ammos is 280$ while another sponsor currently has a sale of blazer brass (also 124grn FMJ) at 260$/1000. Another has Rem UMC at 270$/1000. Other reloaders don't have much better prices than canam, so it's not canam inflating its price.

When I reload my own, I can make 9mm at about 55% of the cost of new ammos. For 223, the component cost goes up to 80% if I remember correctly (excel spreadsheet is at home). So the margins are better with 9mm. Making 223 is also more work than making straight wall.

So anyway, I wouldn't expect the prices on 223 to come crashing down because canam start selling reloads. Another reloader sells 223 for 430$/1000 (that's roughly the price I expect canam will also sell their product), while new production can be around 480$/1000. The savings of 5¢/round do add up, but it's not really a game changer. The benefits will mostly be to keep price increases in check and insure more availability.

As for x39, I'm not really interested in that calibre because I don't shoot it, but I know of at least one commercial reloader who's done it and couldn't even come close to the price of surplus. Maybe canam can overcome whatever problem the other guy had and get lower pricing, I don't know. But in any case, I'm not sure that it's possible to make x39 cheaper than corrosive surplus, even with the best possible volume pricing on component. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    I think you might want to lower your expectations. If you look at the current offering for reloaded ammos, which mostly consist of 124grn FMJ 9mm, you can see that it's roughly the same price as new production. Canam's 1000 bulk ammos is 280$ while another sponsor currently has a sale of blazer brass (also 124grn FMJ) at 260$/1000. Another has Rem UMC at 270$/1000. Other reloaders don't have much better prices than canam, so it's not canam inflating its price.

When I reload my own, I can make 9mm at about 55% of the cost of new ammos. For 223, the component cost goes up to 80% if I remember correctly (excel spreadsheet is at home). So the margins are better with 9mm. Making 223 is also more work than making straight wall.

So anyway, I wouldn't expect the prices on 223 to come crashing down because canam start selling reloads. Another reloader sells 223 for 430$/1000 (that's roughly the price I expect canam will also sell their product), while new production can be around 480$/1000. The savings of 5¢/round do add up, but it's not really a game changer. The benefits will mostly be to keep price increases in check and insure more availability.

As for x39, I'm not really interested in that calibre because I don't shoot it, but I know of at least one commercial reloader who's done it and couldn't even come close to the price of surplus. Maybe canam can overcome whatever problem the other guy had and get lower pricing, I don't know. But in any case, I'm not sure that it's possible to make x39 cheaper than corrosive surplus, even with the best possible volume pricing on component. We'll see.
    We expect our pricing to be between that of corrosive and new NC

CGN Regular
    We expect our pricing to be between that of corrosive and new NC
    Sounds fair to me

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast