Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada ammo reloading 223?

CGN frequent flyer rockport guy's Avatar
    Can Am... if you want to send me a few thousand rounds... I will test it... for free!! Just send me the ammo!!
    CCFR CSSA CPC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer P0WERWAGON's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lavino View Post
    I think DVC and TMSA (TMSA for sure, DVC... think so) both are ok with steel cases so I am good with either steel or brass. Not sure if PoCo is ok with steel cases but anyway I am ready. As soon as you have something for sale, just take my money!!!!

Btw, you guys said you will be reloading slug locally right? is that gonna happen as well?
    ranges dont care about the cases, it is the projectile that matters.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by chicu1981 View Post
    moot not mute
    Yeah it's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter because it's mooed
    CCFR

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hfx123 View Post
    Yeah it's like a cow's opinion. It doesn't matter because it's mooed
    Lol, ok I'm changing it. I haven't been very on the ball here, apparently it's brass cased .223 not steel that was for x39.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty.357 View Post
    I'm currently considering reloading .223 as my stash of Norc is running low. Your estimate of component cost of 80% seems high. I would think more like 60-70% cost of current bulk ammo at 43 to 48 cents each. Here is my breakdown.

Primer- 4 cents (40 per 1000 can be cheaper)
    Powder- 13 cents ($35 H335 about 25gr per rd)
    Bullet- 12 cents (119 per 1000 Budget shooter)
    Total- 29 cents per round

.29 vs .43 = 67% cost of bulk commercial ammo
    .29 vs .40 = 72.5%

I'm still completely undecided on whether to reload or not, I was thinking of starting a thread. I have a progressive press, but do not have the trim/case prep set up for necked. Which may not make it worth while.

I was also waiting on canada ammo. I noticed they stated on here a few months ago that they might be selling at 300/1000. In the high 30 cent range makes reloading not as appealing and in low 30's makes it not worth while. However if still in the 40's it makes reloading worth while. Save $100-200 per thousand rounds.

This is all my calculations though since I haven't actually reloaded 223 yet. Maybe I'm missing case lube or something.
    I was going from memory. I have roughly the numbers you have, so about 70%. For 9mm it's about 50% and for 44magnum it's about 30% (the calibre I save the most on by reloading). If you count saving per round, it's about 14¢ for 223 and 9mm (so 140$/1000), and 70¢ for 44magnum. Considering that case prep is longer for rifle rounds than straight wall, it's a lot more time efficient to spend your reloading time on pistol rounds.

You also need to count the price of brass. If you need to buy it, it's gonna cost you and extra 6-8¢/round. If you have a stash, you could sell it for 4-7¢ a piece and get some money back. That's between 1/3 and 1/2 of the 140$ you save by reloading.

Case prep is a real pita if you don't have a giraud trimmer or a lyman/francfort case prep center (then it's just time consuming). The first 3000 cartridges you reload will merely pay for a prep center. I can't believe anyone would try to trim thousands of case witha hand trimmer. Even with a drill unit it's a pita to trim >100 cases...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    steel. brass is out of the question in terms of price
    If you came up with a clone of the Hornady steel cased with SST, I would be.interested. Most will want SKS though and I'm not sure if SST would feed.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty.357 View Post
    Lol, ok I'm changing it. I haven't been very on the ball here, apparently it's brass cased .223 not steel that was for x39.
    Haha I'm not the word police. I've just had that one tucked away for years waiting to use it
    CCFR

CGN Regular
    10mm is an obvious choice here. I'd put an order in for 1000 rounds right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkw View Post
    10mm is an obvious choice here. I'd put an order in for 1000 rounds right now.
    Haha, you and 5 other people maybe.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nowarningshot View Post
    If you came up with a clone of the Hornady steel cased with SST, I would be.interested. Most will want SKS though and I'm not sure if SST would feed.
    That is in the works. Using any copper jacketed bullet doubles the price over the surplus bullets FYI

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast